Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Background service!
Operating Systems HP-UX Background service! Post 302070228 by ripunjay on Monday 3rd of April 2006 08:36:01 AM
Old 04-03-2006
Go for daemons

If u want the program to run in background....simply give the command like :

./servname &
---------

or else you may be looking for a daemon server. Daemon is a process that is completely detached of the input terminal. There are certain programming steps to make a program to run as a daemon that are taken care while developing that code.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

background jobs

Hi, i have a problem with turning a job into backgrund. When i enter this at the shell: spice -b darlington.cir -r output.raw > screenout.tmp & and then let me show the currently running jobs, i get the following output: + Suspended (tty output) spice -b darlington.cir -r output.raw >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: qsi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

background process

Hello, This has probably been answered in other forms, however I would like to confirm this statement before I use it in production. Will this syntax work for a background process? echo "nohup server_process1 >/dir1/nohup.server_process1 2>&1 &" | ksh Please advise. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
1 Replies

3. AIX

Background process

how to check the process running in background? how can i run a process in background? pls explain with commands (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udtyuvaraj
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Run one service after another service has finished - systemd

Hi all I would like to know how to run task2.service after task1.service has finished. task1.service has a timer (task1.timer), that makes it run every 5 minutes OnCalendar=*:0/5task2.service is basically a script, that has to work on the files created after task1 has finished. This is what I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guilliber
2 Replies
DAEMON(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 DAEMON(3)

NAME
daemon -- run in the background LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> int daemon(int nochdir, int noclose); DESCRIPTION
The daemon() function is for programs wishing to detach themselves from the controlling terminal and run in the background as system daemons. Unless the argument nochdir is non-zero, daemon() changes the current working directory to the root (/). Unless the argument noclose is non-zero, daemon() will redirect standard input, standard output and standard error to /dev/null. RETURN VALUES
On return 0 indicates success with -1 indicating error. ERRORS
The function daemon() may fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the library functions fork(2) and setsid(2). SEE ALSO
fork(2), setsid(2) HISTORY
The daemon() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. CAVEATS
Unless the noclose argument is non-zero, daemon() will close the first three file descriptors and redirect them to /dev/null. Normally, these correspond to standard input, standard output and standard error. However, if any of those file descriptors refer to something else they will still be closed, resulting in incorrect behavior of the calling program. This can happen if any of standard input, standard output or standard error have been closed before the program was run. Programs using daemon() should therefore make sure to either call daemon() before opening any files or sockets or, alternately, verifying that any file descriptors obtained have a value greater than 2. BUGS
daemon() uses fork() as part of its tty detachment mechanism. Consequently the process id changes when daemon() is invoked. Processes employing daemon() can not be reliably waited upon until daemon() has been invoked. BSD
September 3, 1999 BSD