Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users What swap is my system running on? Post 302070073 by abhijeetkul on Friday 31st of March 2006 06:44:32 AM
Old 03-31-2006
MySQL

Firstly,
i know my swap areas on disk.
i wanted to know "swap" in physical form of memory.

swap -l doen not include swap space in the form of physical
memory because this space is not associated with a particular
swap area.

but swap -s does include swap space from all configured
swap areas as listed by the -l option, as well swap
space in the form of physical memory.

thats what i had pasted o/p of "swap -s" ..
i am confused about those terms" allocated" ,"reserved","used" & "available"
what if i add up "used" & "available" values ,does it give my "swap" in form of physical memory?

mayb i m yet to understand concept of swap fully....!!!

regards
abhijeet

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

What's mail system running on Linux

Hi,I am need setup mail system on the linux, but i am don't know , My linux system is Redhat Linux 9.0.However,What's kind mail system is fit my operation system? expect everyone give directionsme with superior . Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Golden.Liu
6 Replies

2. Solaris

/tmp: File system full, swap space limit exceeded

Can you help. My server sunning solaris 9 on x86 platform pretty much hung for a few hours... I could not use telnet or ssh to the box - it kept refusing connection. A few hours later - I was able to log in again. The server has not rebooted but here are the first errors in the messages log... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
5 Replies

3. Solaris

swap space in veritas file system

hi every one , i know how to add swap space in ufs file system. but i m facing problem in veritas file system . i wants to know how will i create swap or add new swap space in existing swap space . Note: disk under veritas volume manager control . please help me to solve this issue . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: samy123
5 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How To setup a Diskless Swap System.

This is a guide for setting up your computer with a fast swap system using usb memory sticks. A detailed study of the theories behind this setup can be found here. While this How-To does not include the CFLRU replacement algorithm, it does show the performance benefits of using NAND flash memory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johnny_Thumbs
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Swap file system

This questions only concerns Solaris 10. Let's say I have swap configured like so in /etc/vfstab: /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s1 - - swap - no - /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s1 - - swap - no - /dev/md/dsk/d1 - - swap - no - ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

Swap device file and swap sapce

Hi I have an integrity machine rx7620 and rx8640 running hp-ux 11.31. I'm planning to fine tune the system: - I would like to know when does the memory swap space spill over to the device swap space? - And how much % of memory swap utilization should be specified (swap space device... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Fsck in running system

Hi, I have the problem that in the fstab indicating that the check is made of a particular filesystem during the boot process, if for any reason I have deleted, if it is to check the filesystem on boot, Linux will not start and asks password to enter maintenance mode. What I want is to keep an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jailcreator
1 Replies

8. Solaris

increase SWAP on ZFS file system

Hi All, I am using this commands to dynamically increase ZFS swap space on Solaris my question is: 1- after i make these commands it will permanent or it will remove after restart 2- how to make it permanent # swap -l swapfile dev swaplo bloques libre /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: osmanux
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

swap issues, system is running at 99%

Hi All, I am trying to understand why my system is running at very high. This system is almost out of memory. See below. swapon -s Filename Type Size Used Priority /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol02 partition 8388600 8235088 -1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

10. Solaris

File system full, swap

hi all I am having a t5240 server in that zone is there in /var/adm/messages i am getting the following warning WARNING: /zoneroot/zonename-zone/root/tmp: File system full, swap space limit exceeded if a swap is getting full what can i do. Please use code tags next time for your... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies
allocate_fs_swapmap(5)						File Formats Manual					    allocate_fs_swapmap(5)

NAME
allocate_fs_swapmap - determines when swapmap structures are allocated for filesystem swap VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values or DESCRIPTION
The tunable is used to determine whether to allocate all needed filesystem swap structures during the initialization of the filesystem swap device or wait until they are needed. Pre-allocation of all filesystem swap structures upon initialization saves time during later usage of the filesystem swap, and prevents later allocation failure due to physical memory contention. Dynamic allocation decreases the memory footprint of the filesystem swap system. Who is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect at the next reboot. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? Systems under heavy memory load may not be able to acquire enough memory to hold the swap mapping structures for an addition of file system swap. These calls to add swap would fail with the error though presumably they would be retried. Frequent failure on file system swap addition with would merit enabling this tunable. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? All the swap map structures for each file system swap device would be preallocated during swap initialization at kernel boot, increasing the memory footprint of the kernel. The amount of increase depends on the number and size of file system swap devices. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? Systems with limited memory available to the kernel that also have limited use of file system swap devices should disable this tunable to decrease kernel memory usage. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? File system swap additions may fail with when memory contention is high. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? None. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. Tunable Kernel Parameters allocate_fs_swapmap(5)