Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to extract fields for /etc/passwd Post 302069965 by castlerock on Thursday 30th of March 2006 01:13:23 PM
Old 03-30-2006
Hi,

When i run the following shell its giving an errorin line 5 ? syntax error $' unexpected

What is the error???

#!/bin/sh
log=/u01//userlist.log
PASSWORD_FILE=/etc/passwd
n=1
for name in $(awk 'BEGIN{FS=":"}{print $1}' < "$PASSWORD_FILE" )
do
echo "USER #$n = $name" > $log
(( n += 1 ))
done

Many Thanks,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to extract a field from /etc/passwd file..

Hello, was looking for some help on extracting a field from the passwd file. So far I have made a copy of the passwd file and changed my rights so I can edit it. Every user's password is coded as an :x:, and my goal was to change that x to a blank, and then try to extract any user with that field... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xBuRnTx
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract fields from from this

thank youuuu (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rnallamothu
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to extract fields

Dear all, please see the logs shown below: 12-12 08:47:37.545 DBG AGIML SERVER..............................write() (<agiml><header><responsetype>TOPUP</responsetype></header><response><auditfields/><resultcode>999</resultcode>... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: akhtar.bhat
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract fields

Hi, I have a tmp file like below: <ADATA> ANUM=900 ADESC=Saving ATYP=0 TXREGD=0 </ADATA> <ADATA> ANUM=890 ADESC=Saving ATYP=0 ABAL=9000 TXREGD=1 </ADATA> <ADATA> (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunigirib
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut fields from /etc/passwd file into variables?

The script must ask the user to enter the user name and check whether the user exists in /etc/passwd (you must allow the partial usernames also). If the username exists, display the details as: List of users Login Name: User ID: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nobletechnology
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to extract fields from etc/passwd file?

Hi! i want to extract from /etc/passwd file,the user and user info fileds, to a another file.I've tried this: cut -d ':' -f1 ':' -f6 < file but cut can be used to extract olny one field and not two. maybe with awk is this possible? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: strawhatluffy
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract fields from different rows.

Hi, I have data like below. SID=D6EB96CC0 HID=9C246D6 CSource=xya Cappe=1 Versionc=3670 MAR1=STL MARS2=STL REQ_BUFFER_ENCODING=UTF-8 REQ_BUFFER_ORIG_ENCODING=UTF-8 RESP_BODY_ENCODING=UTF-8 CON_ID=2713 I want to select CSource=xya (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
18 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passwd -S on linux- what are the fields?

I'm looking for some documentation on what the different fields mean in the output of passwd -S username: passwd -S foo foo PS 2012-03-20 0 70 3 -1 (Password set, MD5 crypt.) I think the date given is the date of the last password change, the 0 after that is the minimum password age, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract user accounts and home directory from /etc/passwd.

I am trying to obtain all user accounts and their respective home directories. /etc/passwd contains the required information, but I want to filter it to only show the uid,username and home directory path. I am working on a Solaris 11 machine. I made a little headway so far, but I got stuck... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to extract fields from a CSV i.e comma separated where some of the fields having comma as value?

can anyone help me!!!! How to I parse the CSV file file name : abc.csv (csv file) The above file containing data like abv,sfs,,hju,',',jkk wff,fst,,rgr,',',rgr ere,edf,erg,',',rgr,rgr I have a requirement like i have to extract different field and assign them into different... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: J.Jena
4 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/ksh93, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/ksh93, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh, and /usr/sfw/bin/zsh. /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells could cause unexpected behavior, such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1). FILES
/etc/shells list of shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shells(4)