Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Escaping apostrophe using shell script Post 302069959 by mradul_kaushik on Thursday 30th of March 2006 12:06:18 PM
Old 03-30-2006
Thanks a ton,

MK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

escaping * in korn Shell under Sun Solaris

When trying to escape special character * - it doesn't seem to work. In korn shell trying to store a local variable as follows sample=test* echo $sample - gets all the file names starting with test* , instead i want to literally store the value test* into a variable. I tried escaping with \, with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prekida
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping * in korn shell

When trying to escape special character * - it doesn't seem to work. In korn shell trying to store a local variable as follows sample=test* echo $sample - gets all the file names starting with test* , instead i want to literally store the value test* into a variable. I tried escaping with \, with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prekida
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script help: escaping the '*'

hi there. i have a simple bash script that reads a word from a text file one at a time, and if a '*' character is encountered, it prints a message. however it doesn't work as i expected. :o what am i doing wrong here? thanks very much for the help :) for word in `cat $DOC` do if... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark_nsx
18 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping double-quotes inside the script?

I'm having a strange problem with escaping double-quotes. I have a script that looks like this: #!/bin/bash for HOST in `cat $INFILE | grep -v ^#` do for VFILER in `some_command` do echo " " echo -e '\E The problem with ssh command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GKnight
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to replace a character with '(Apostrophe)

Hi Friends, I need a sed or awk based script to replace a character(alphabet) with ' (Apostrophe). I tried to use the following two commands 1) sed -e 's/a/'/' filename 2) awk '{sub("a","'",$1);print}' filename but both got failed. Any help on this. Thanks in advance.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace apostrophe with backslash apostrophe

I'm coding using BASH and have a requirement to replace apostrophes with backslash apostrophes. For example below: I am here 'in my room' ok Would be changed to: I am here /'in my room/' ok The original text is coming from a field in a MySql database and is being used by another process that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbjock
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove apostrophe and a letter followed by it

Hi All, For example, I have some words like these: cabinet's school's field's you'll I know how to remove apostrophe from these words using this command: cat filename | tr -s "\'" ' ' But I am not sure how I can remove the letter followed by the apostrophe, so that my output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping metacharacters in paths for a shell command

I have a file which contains a list of paths separated by a new line character. e.g /some/path/to/a/file.png /some/path to/another/file.jpeg /some path/to yet/another/file Notice that these paths may contain metacharacters, the spaces for example are also not escaped. If I wanted... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cue
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping problem in a shell script

Hi, i made a gnuplot script which accepts a filename as parameter (using gnuplot -e) now i want to run this script from a shell script, the correct command (with a concrete parameter) looks like this: gnuplot -e 'name="filename.dat;col=2"' gplscript.gpl my shell script looks like this: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: franko007
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find ' (apostrophe) by grep

hi linux expert how can i find apostrophe (') symbol in text file by grep? for example for find 'test, the command grep " \'test" * is not useful. Many Thanks samad (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003
1 Replies
mouse_waitforupdate(3)						Svgalib User Manual					    mouse_waitforupdate(3)

NAME
mouse_waitforupdate - wait for an mouse update SYNOPSIS
#include <vgamouse.h> void mouse_waitforupdate(void); DESCRIPTION
This reads in mouse events from the mouse buffer and updates the internal svgalib variables which store the current mouse position and but- ton states. If there are no events the function does not return until one occurs. SEE ALSO
svgalib(7), vgagl(7), libvga.config(5), eventtest(6), mouse_close(3), mouse_init(3), mouse_getposition_6d(3), mouse_setposition(3), mouse_setscale(3), mouse_setwrap(3), mouse_setxrange(3), mouse_getx(3), mouse_waitforupdate(3), vga_setmousesupport(3), mouse_seteven- thandler(3), vga_waitevent(3) AUTHOR
This manual page was edited by Michael Weller <eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de>. The exact source of the referenced function as well as of the original documentation is unknown. It is very likely that both are at least to some extent are due to Harm Hanemaayer <H.Hanemaayer@inter.nl.net>. Occasionally this might be wrong. I hereby asked to be excused by the original author and will happily accept any additions or corrections to this first version of the svgalib manual. Svgalib (>;= 1.2.11) 27 July 1997 mouse_waitforupdate(3)