Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Pipe not taken into consideration Post 302069956 by panchopp on Thursday 30th of March 2006 11:44:04 AM
Old 03-30-2006
Pipe not taken into consideration

I'm trying to see every file which my group (staff) has in a certain directory, recursively. The pipe
Code:
ls -l -R | grep staff

is not working exactly as I want, as for every directory to which my user does not have access, a line like:
Code:
ls: ./directory/lost+found: The file access permissions do not allow the specified action.

gets in the output. I don't care if I don' have permissions. But I thought that grep would only take back the output lines from "ls" which have "staff" on them, and not the messages that "ls" throws.
Is there anyway to take those lines out?
Thanks in advance,
panchopp.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

pipe help

i made a lot of processes. here is the code: main() { printf("\nEnter K="); scanf("%d",&k); printf("Enter L="); scanf("%d",&l); printf("\nFather id=%d\n",getpid()); x=0; makechild(); sleep(2); return 1; } int makechild() { for(q=1;q<=k;q++) { if(f=fork()) { ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bb666
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe | question

how do you pipe the results to next statement as argument? somecommand | grep $result somefile how do you reference $result with?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
12 Replies

3. Programming

Gcc with pipe

I want to compile all files in my directory i wrote find *.c | gcc -o * *.c but it dosent work :( Help pliz (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rzili
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I use pipe

Hi, guys: I am working on my shell using c. How can I use pipe to implement the following? ls -l 1>> | grep hellp 1<< 2>> | less 2<< (the output of ls goes to grep, and the output of grep goes to less) Thanks Please use and tags when posting code, data or logs etc. to preserve... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tomlee
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace pipe with Broken Pipe

Hi All , Is there any way to replace the pipe ( | ) with the broken pipe (0xA6) in unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saj
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use an input pipe ?

Hi all, I would like to use properly an input pipe, like this : cat myFile.txt | myCommand.shI always find this solution : while read line; do ...; donebut I have a great lost of performance ! On a big file, with a simple grep, I can spend 2400 times more time ! oO (from 0,023sec to 1m)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LeNouveau
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe and fgrep

Hi , Please help me resolve the below issue. I need to combine the below two command into one. grep 'ImanItemP' import.report| tr -s ' ' | cut -f2 -d ' ' > tmp.txt fgrep -v -f tmp.txt input.txt > reuired file.txt Thanks Ramesh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramesh12621
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe Functionality

Hi, I am trying to emulate the '|' functionality through pipe function call. I am passing the o/p of exec in parent as input to the exec in child. The buf is readin the o/p but the exec in child is not working. Can somebody checkout the code and point where am i going wrong or missing something.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amejoish
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore Pipe in Pipe delimited file?

Hi guys, I need to know how i can ignore Pipe '|' if Pipe is coming as a column in Pipe delimited file for eg: file 1: xx|yy|"xyz|zzz"|zzz|12... using below awk command awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="|" } print $3 i would get xyz But i want as : xyz|zzz to consider as whole column... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
13 Replies
POE::Pipe::OneWay(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    POE::Pipe::OneWay(3pm)

NAME
POE::Pipe::OneWay - a portable API for one-way pipes SYNOPSIS
my ($read, $write) = POE::Pipe::OneWay->new(); die "couldn't create a pipe: $!" unless defined $read; DESCRIPTION
The right way to create an anonymous pipe varies from one operating system to the next. Some operating systems support "pipe()". Others require "socketpair()". And a few operating systems support neither, so a plain old socket must be created. POE::Pipe::OneWay will attempt to create a unidirectional pipe using "pipe()", "socketpair()", and IO::Socket::INET, in that order. Exceptions are hardcoded for operating systems with broken or nonstandard behaviors. The upshot of all this is that an application can portably create a one-way pipe by instantiating POE::Pipe::OneWay. The work of deciding how to create the pipe and opening the handles will be taken care of internally. POE::Pipe::OneWay may be used outside of POE, as it doesn't use POE internally. PUBLIC METHODS
new [TYPE] Create a new one-way pipe, optionally constraining it to a particular TYPE of pipe. One-way pipes have two ends: a "read" end and a "write" end. On success, new() returns two handles: one for the "read" end and one for the "write" end. Returns nothing on failure, and sets $! to explain why the constructor failed. my ($read, $write) = POE::Pipe::OneWay->new(); die $! unless defined $read; TYPE may be one of "pipe", "socketpair", or "inet". When set, POE::Pipe::OneWay will constrain its search to either "pipe()", a UNIX- domain "socketpair()", or plain old sockets, respectively. Otherwise new() will try each method in order, or a particular method predetermined to be the best one for the current operating environment. BUGS
POE::Pipe::OneWay may block up to one second on some systems if failure occurs while trying to create "inet" sockets. SEE ALSO
POE::Pipe, POE::Pipe::TwoWay. AUTHOR &; COPYRIGHT POE::Pipe::OneWay is copyright 2000-2008 by Rocco Caputo. All rights reserved. POE::Pipe::OneWay is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-15 POE::Pipe::OneWay(3pm)