Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Problem With Tape Backup in Solaris Post 302069897 by mahatma on Thursday 30th of March 2006 02:24:53 AM
Old 03-30-2006
The problem should be the size. What other inbuilt tools are there for tape backup, Perderabo?

And from RTM's suggestion: 'E' option seems to solve it...

Command now gets modified to tar -cvfE /dev/rmt/0m *

# tar -cvfE /dev/rmt/0m *
a Mails.bkf 4680454 tape blocks
a backup.bkf 18116128 tape blocks
#

Thanks both-of-u.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tape Backup Problem?

Hi. Can someone please tell what the following tape error message means: Read end of medium on output If you want to go on, type device/file name when ready This message comes after the terminal displays a few files from the directory I'm trying to backup. The command I'm running is: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cstovall
1 Replies

2. Linux

linux backup to solaris tape drive

All, Has anybody ever got a Linux server to backup to a remote Solaris tape drive using the dump command and rsh? I can remtoely backup two Solaris server this way. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 7 newbie tape backup question

Hello all, I have an ss20 running Solaris 7, with an attached 4mm tape drive. The machine has one 1.2GB SCSI HDD. I would like to backup other machines to tape, but I can't do a stopover on the ss20s hard disk, as there is virtually no space available. Is there a way I can make the tape... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolok
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Help help] backup script for tape on solaris

hi all, very urgent need backup script on tape using solaris 8, my tape drive is DAT 72 on sun v240. i need a simple script to backup files from directory /data/log/back/200703/filename.log. the files will backup continue each day on the tape which have 72 GB. the files size only 50MB and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bucci
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting DLT tape and to backup file to tape

Hi there: I'm new here Can anyone help me: I have DS15 Alpha server : Unix 5.1B Now i need to connect a DLVT VS80 1U Rackmount Tape Drive unit. What is the exact comman to mount the DLTape IV?? How do i make backuo @ copy file to the tape? Thanx to all (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayzeayem
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check backup file size on backup tape

Hi, I performed backup on tape and I want to append more files to my previous backup on the same backup tape. But before I do that I need to know the backup file size of the first backup I performed so that I know the available size on the backup tape. Can someone help me what command I will use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
0 Replies

7. SCO

Backup to SCSI Tape Backup aborts

I am trying to make a full backup of my system using the cpio command. The Tape Unit is a SCSI DDS. The process started fine but after about 30 minutes, it just stopped and showed the following message: 1755 Signal 31 - Core dumped Any idea of what is causing this and how to fix it? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zionpc
4 Replies

8. AIX

Backup on Tape

Hi, I am very new to AIX, i have a development and a production server with AIX 6.1. I am using following command to backup my system /usr/bin/mksysb '-m' '-V' '-i' /dev/rmt0 You can what i have in my root volume group in the atached file and and you can also see the backup information of... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: salmanucit
14 Replies

9. Solaris

Backup files to tape drive on solaris

Hi, I want to take backup of files older than 20 days from a directory onto a tape drive on remote machine on Solaris. The files are of format abc-20100301000000.gz on my local machine. I know the below commands for searching files older than x days and command for backup procedure. solar1 #... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyothi_wipro
7 Replies

10. Solaris

question about restoration from backup tape (solaris 10)

I am trying to restore opt on my server. my issue is, all the partitions are saved into the same back up tape. what is the exact command to just restore /opt for example, supposing c0t0d0s7 is the partition for /opt ---------- Post updated at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: feg
7 Replies
XTERMCONTROL(1) 						   User Commands						   XTERMCONTROL(1)

NAME
xtermcontrol - dynamic control of XFree86 xterm properties. SYNOPSIS
xtermcontrol [OPTIONS]... DESCRIPTION
xtermcontrol makes it easy to change colors, title, font and geometry of a running XFree86 xterm(1), as well as to report the current set- tings of the aforementioned properties. Window manipulations de-/iconify, raise/lower, maximize/restore and reset are also supported. To complete the feature set; xtermcontrol lets advanced users issue any xterm control sequence of their choosing. OPTIONS
--fg=COLOR Set foreground color (see also COLOR NAMES). --bg=COLOR Set background color. --colorN=COLOR Set N'th [0-15] color. --highlight=COLOR Set highlight color. --cursor=COLOR Set cursor color. --mouse-fg=COLOR Set mouse pointer foreground color. --mouse-bg=COLOR Set mouse pointer background color. --font=FONT Set font name (see also FONT NAMES). Alternatively it is possible to specify a fontmenu index as '#[0-6]' or navigate the fontmenu by relative sizes as '#+N' or '#-N', where N is an optional integer. --title=STRING Set window title. Note that mechanisms like the bash(1) PROMPT_COMMAND may overwrite the title. --geometry=WIDTHxHEIGHT+XOFF+YOFF Set size and/or position. Through its control sequences the xterm only recognize positive XOFF and YOFF offsets, which are pixels relative to the upper left hand corner of the display. xtermcontrol is therefore unable to handle negative offsets as described in the X(7x) GEOMETRY SPECIFICATIONS and therefore truncates negative values to zero. --get-fg Report foreground color. --get-bg Report background color. --get-colorN Report N'th [0-15] color. --get-highlight Report highlight color. --get-cursor Report cursor color. --get-mouse-fg Report mouse pointer foreground color. --get-mouse-bg Report mouse pointer background color. --get-font Report font. --get-title Report window title. --get-geometry Report size and position. The size of the text area is reported in characters and the position is reported in pixels relative to the upper left hand corner of the display. --maximize Maximize window. --restore Restore maximized window. --iconify Iconify window. --de-iconify De-iconify window. --raise Raise window. --lower Lower window. --reset Full reset. --raw=CTLSEQS Issue raw control sequence (see also XTERM CONTROL SEQUENCES). --file=FILE Force xtermcontrol to read configurations (see also CONFIGURATION) from FILE instead of the standard personal initialization file ~/.xtermcontrol. --force, -f Skip TERM environment variable check. --verbose, -v Print verbose reports. --help, -h Print help message and exit. --version Print the version number and exit. CONFIGURATION
xtermcontrol reads a default, ~/.xtermcontrol, or a user specified configuration file on startup. Each line in the file is either a com- ment or contains an attribute. Attributes consist of a keyword and an associated value: keyword = value # comment The valid keyword/value combinations are: foreground="COLOR" background="COLOR" highlight="COLOR" cursor="COLOR" mouse-foreground="COLOR" mouse-background="COLOR" geometry="WIDTHxHEIGHT+XOFF+YOFF" font="FONT" color0="COLOR" color1="COLOR" color2="COLOR" color3="COLOR" color4="COLOR" color5="COLOR" color6="COLOR" color7="COLOR" color8="COLOR" color9="COLOR" color10="COLOR" color11="COLOR" color12="COLOR" color13="COLOR" color14="COLOR" color15="COLOR" Whitespace is ignored in attributes unless within a quoted value. The character '#' is taken to begin a comment. Each '#' and all remaining characters on that line is ignored. FONT NAMES
xtermcontrol accepts any X(7x) FONT NAMES. Font names like '-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--10-100-75-75-m-60-iso8859-1' are very cumber- some to write, so it is convenient to make use of aliases, e.g. 'fixed' or '8x13', if present in fonts.alias files of the font directo- ries. COLOR NAMES
xtermcontrol accepts any X(7x) COLOR NAMES. Basically this means that colors are specified by name or rgb value, e.g. 'blue', 'rgb:0000/0000/FFFF' or '#00F'. Colors are typically reported by the xterm in a device-dependent numerical form, e.g. 'rgb:0000/0000/FFFF'. Note that old syntax rgb values should always be quoted to avoid '#' being interpreted as the beginning of a comment by the shell (see also FILES). XTERM CONTROL SEQUENCES
The secret behind xtermcontrol is xterm control sequences. All the possible (there are a plethora of them) control sequences are documented in ctlseqs.txt, found in the xterm(1) distribution (see also FILES). TROUBLESHOOTING
If read/write permissions on the tty's are changed so that special group membership is required to be able to write to the pseudo terminal, the easiest workaround is to install xtermcontrol setuid root. Xterm(1) has three resources, allowWindowOps, allowTitleOps, and allowFontOps, that enables or disables special operations which xtermcon- trol relies on. If any of these resources are set (or defaults) to 'false' xtermcontrol may hang. The resources corresponds to xtermcon- trol options as: allowWindowOps: --raise --lower --restore --maximize --iconify --de-iconify --get-title --geometry --get-geometry allowTitleOps: --title allowFontOps: --font --get-font All three resources can usually be enabled for the current xterm session via a menu; ctrl+rightclick and look for menu item names like 'Allow Window Ops'. To set these resource values persistently you can add the following to either your local ~/.Xdefaults file, or to a system-wide resource file like /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm: *VT100.allowWindowOps: true *VT100.allowTitleOps: true *VT100.allowFontOps: true FILES
<XRoot>/X11/rgb.txt Default rgb color name file location. ctlseqs.txt Xterm control sequences documentation. Distributed with xterm from http://dickey.his.com/xterm/ SEE ALSO
xterm(1), X(7x) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002-2009 Jess Thrysoee <jess@thrysoee.dk> xtermcontrol 2.10 October 17, 2009 XTERMCONTROL(1)