Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Adding users to /etc/group
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Adding users to /etc/group Post 302069835 by golfhakker on Wednesday 29th of March 2006 11:42:28 AM
Old 03-29-2006
Adding users to /etc/group

I'm using SAM to add users on an HP and they're adding fine. But in /etc/group it only lists the group names. It's not adding the users in there. Is there a way to have them put in there without going into SAM and modifying the group and adding them? I guess what I want to happen is when I add a new user, I want it to add it to passwd and group. Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a user to a group

Now, its been a while since i done this but I had to add a user to a group. I did that by using the usermod command and now when I superuser to the user's account and issue a "id", i get the desired gid. i mean, output of id indicated the user is assigned to the group i want him to be in. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Adding quota for a group

***deleted by reborg for rule 1 violation*** (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoranjan
1 Replies

3. AIX

Max users in a group ?

Hi All, Does anyone know if there is a maximum limit to the number of users that can be assigned to a group. I currently have on a production server 900+ users in 1 group. I know some of these users are no longer valid as we only have 500 employees and not all employees use this application. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anmiller
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH for a group of users ?

Hi, Can any one tell me is it possible to setup private key public key pairing(SSH ) for a group of users , instead of setting it up for individual users ? Eg: Say i have 3 users A,B and C and i want the users to connect to SERVER1. instead of generating public private keys for each user , is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepusunil
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Adding User to group

Hi all, I have a existing user user1 its group id dba i have created a new user named: uta and added to group dba my task for creating uta ( to ftp solaris server from /oracle/pcmia/dry1 & oracle/pcmia/dry2 and get some rdf ( database patch) and saved in one windows folder named d:\patch... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diffferentiate group from users

Im trying to put all the groups in into a variable called $GROUP, however in /etc/group there are also lotsa users. And the GID of group can differ as it can be set, this there is no specific range, how can i put all the names of the groups into that variable? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dplate07
3 Replies

7. Programming

to obtain users of each group in c

Hello They have ordered to me that makes several small utilities in C/C++ for the servants, among them a small program in C/C++ to generate a file HTML with the groups of that servant and in addition that is the corresponding users of that group. For example of a group: Group: Sys Members:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cybermeis
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a user to a group

Hello guys!! If a user is already created on a server, how do you add them to another group? The useradd command? If so then would that duplicate the user account on the server? Thanks Bigben (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

users per group

hi guys I am trying to display a list of groups and the respective users: Group1 : user1 user2 user3 .... the closest thing I get is echo " "; echo "Group Users "; echo " "; cat /etc/group |grep | grep -v nfswhich I really don't since I want to remove the other stuff like x : and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
4 Replies

10. AIX

Adding a Volume Group to an HACMP Resource Group?

Hi, I have a 2 node Cluster. Which is working in active/passive mode (i.e Node#1 is running and when it goes down the Node#2 takes over) Now there's this requirement that we need a mount point say /test that should be available in active node #1 and when node #1 goes down and node#2 takes... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixromeo
6 Replies
GSHADOW(5)						   File Formats and Conversions 						GSHADOW(5)

NAME
gshadow - shadowed group file DESCRIPTION
/etc/gshadow contains the shadowed information for group accounts. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. Each line of this file contains the following colon-separated fields: group name It must be a valid group name, which exist on the system. encrypted password Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. If the password field contains some string that is not a valid result of crypt(3), for instance ! or *, users will not be able to use a unix password to access the group (but group members do not need the password). The password is used when an user who is not a member of the group wants to gain the permissions of this group (see newgrp(1)). This field may be empty, in which case only the group members can gain the group permissions. A password field which starts with a exclamation mark means that the password is locked. The remaining characters on the line represent the password field before the password was locked. This password supersedes any password specified in /etc/group. administrators It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Administrators can change the password or the members of the group. Administrators also have the same permissions as the members (see below). members It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Members can access the group without being prompted for a password. You should use the same list of users as in /etc/group. FILES
/etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. SEE ALSO
gpasswd(5), group(5), grpck(8), grpconv(8), newgrp(1). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 GSHADOW(5)