Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing trailing spaces from delimited files Post 302069754 by djkane on Wednesday 29th of March 2006 04:10:46 AM
Old 03-29-2006
sed -e "s/[' ']*|/|/g" $FILE

Using the line of code above, i get trailing spaces to be removed between the end of the field and the delimiter. I was hoping someone might explain how the command knows to take from the last space.

For example, if i have a field a row in $FILE such as...

this is field 1 | this is field 2 | a lot of text in field 3

...how does the command know to remove the space after the "1" instead of taking everything after the first space, i.e., after "this".

Any explanation would be hugely appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing trailing spaces of a particular column in a file

Hi, I am currently confused. Suppose I have a file something like the one below. 4299|raj Telecommunications|12||||| 4302|anjali International Ltd.|86|ritchie||dong|(000)2890 9993 |(222)4881 3689 4305|フィデュシアリ・ト-スト・インター...ショ...ル投資顧問株式会社 |112||||01-9211-1931 |08-3677-1985 Now... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rooh
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Leading and Trailing Spaces

Hi, how to i remove leading and trailing spaces from a line? the spaces can be behind or in front of any field or line example of a line in the input data: Amy Reds , 100 , /bin/sh how to i get it to be: Amy Read,100,/bin/sh i saw something on this on the Man pages for AWK... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sleepster
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip leading and trailing spaces only in a shell variable with embedded spaces

I am trying to strip all leading and trailing spaces of a shell variable using either awk or sed or any other utility, however unscuccessful and need your help. echo $SH_VAR | command_line Syntax. The SH_VAR contains embedded spaces which needs to be preserved. I need only for the leading and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing leading and trailing spaces of data between the tags in xml.

I am having xml document as below. <transactionid> 00 </transactionid> <tracknumber> 0 </tracknumber> <key> N/A </key> But the data contains leading and trailing spaces between the tags. Please let me know how can i remove these leading and trailing spaces between the tags.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhmr7
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove trailing spaces

Hi, I have a file like this (ADD_MONTHS((Substr(Trim(BOTH FROM Translate(Maximum(closeDa ------------------------------------------------------------ 2007-06-30 00:00:00 I have a requirement where i need just the date. When i do: tail -1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahek_bedi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing leading and trailing spaces only in PERL

Hi All, I have a file with the following contents with multiple lines 172445957| 000005911|8| 400 Peninsula Ave.#1551 | And,K |935172445957|000005911 607573888 |000098536 | 2|Ane, B |J |Ane |1868 |19861206|20090106|20071001 I want to trim the "leading and trailing spaces only" from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar04
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing log files, removing spaces and replace with commas

Hello all i am working on a database to import log files from my systems, but i cannot seem to find the answer. I searched here for a good bit and couldnt peice together what i was looking for. I know you could do this with awk, i just dont know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: caddyjoe77
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing blank spaces from text files in UNIX

Hello, I am an super newbie, so forgive my sheer ignorance. I have a series of text files formatted as follows (just showing the header and first few lines): mean_geo mean_raw lat lon 0.000 0 -70.616 163.021 0.000 0 -70.620 163.073 0.000 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtoniolo
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] Trailing spaces

Hello People How to check whether lines in a text file have trailing spaces or not and if a line have trailing spaces then how many trailing spaces line have? Regards ARvind kumar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindk.monu
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want to add trailing spaces to the variable

I want to keep string/varible length to 10 even its actual length is less than 10(may be no value). so, i want to add trailing spaces to my string. :wall: "typeset -L10 myvarible" is not working, its saying invalid typset -L option. Can you please advise. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: djaks111
4 Replies
GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)						    Git Manual							 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)

NAME
git-stripspace - Remove unnecessary whitespace SYNOPSIS
git stripspace [-s | --strip-comments] < input DESCRIPTION
Clean the input in the manner used by Git for text such as commit messages, notes, tags and branch descriptions. With no arguments, this will: o remove trailing whitespace from all lines o collapse multiple consecutive empty lines into one empty line o remove empty lines from the beginning and end of the input o add a missing to the last line if necessary. In the case where the input consists entirely of whitespace characters, no output will be produced. NOTE: This is intended for cleaning metadata, prefer the --whitespace=fix mode of git-apply(1) for correcting whitespace of patches or files in the repository. OPTIONS
-s, --strip-comments Skip and remove all lines starting with comment character (default #). -c, --comment-lines Prepend comment character and blank to each line. Lines will automatically be terminated with a newline. On empty lines, only the comment character will be prepended. EXAMPLES
Given the following noisy input with $ indicating the end of a line: |A brief introduction $ | $ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line $ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out. $ | $ |The end.$ | $ Use git stripspace with no arguments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out.$ |$ |The end.$ Use git stripspace --strip-comments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |The end.$ GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)