Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: VxVM disk/lun grow
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users VxVM disk/lun grow Post 302069491 by pressy on Monday 27th of March 2006 03:39:19 AM
Old 03-27-2006
hmmm,

nice one reborg, thanks...

didn't know that option, it only comes with the Storage Foundation license, well, no problem here. still a strange behavior, but whatever, it works. I've tried it in a test-environment:

Code:
root@scnode2 # vxdisksetup -i c3t54d0
root@scnode2 # vxdg init testdg testhd=c3t54d0
root@scnode2 # vxassist -g testdg maxsize
Maximum volume size: 5681152 (2774Mb)
root@scnode2 # vxassist -g testdg make testvol 2774m layout=nostripe
root@scnode2 #
root@scnode2 # mkfs -F vxfs /dev/vx/rdsk/testdg/testvol
    version 6 layout
    5681152 sectors, 2840576 blocks of size 1024, log size 16384 blocks
    largefiles supported
root@scnode2 #
root@scnode2 #
root@scnode2 # mount -F vxfs /dev/vx/dsk/testdg/testvol /mnt
root@scnode2 # while true; do mkfile 1024m /mnt/testfile && rm /mnt/testfile ; done &
root@scnode2 #
#### now i increased the lun and configured the new size in solaris: ####
root@scnode2 # vxassist -g testdg maxgrow testvol
VxVM vxassist ERROR V-5-1-1178 Volume testvol cannot be extend within the given constraints
#### nothing... now reborg's hint ####
root@scnode2 # vxdisk -g testdg resize testhd
VxVM vxdisk ERROR V-5-1-8643 Device testhd: resize failed: Cannot remove last disk in disk group
#### seems he want to reinitialize, out of group and back in.... ####
#### temporaly i've added a second disk ###
root@scnode2 # vxdg -g testdg adddisk testhd2=c3t53d0
root@scnode2 # vxdisk -g testdg resize testhd
root@scnode2 # pgrep mkfile
root@scnode2 # 
root@scnode2 # vxdg -g testdg rmdisk testhd2
root@scnode2 # vxassist -g testdg maxgrow testvol
Volume testvol can be extended by 65441792 to: 71122944 (34728Mb)
root@scnode2 # vxresize -g testdg testvol 34728m
root@scnode2 # df -h /mnt
Filesystem             size   used  avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/vx/dsk/testdg/testvol
                        34G   844M    31G     3%    /mnt
root@scnode2 # pgrep mkfile
root@scnode2 # ls -lh /mnt
total 554016
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root          96 Mar 27 10:29 lost+found
-rw-------   1 root     other       1.0G Mar 27 10:30 testfile
root@scnode2 # vxdisk -g testdg list
DEVICE       TYPE            DISK         GROUP        STATUS
c3t54d0s2    auto:cdsdisk    testhd       testdg       online
root@scnode2 #

it works live in my test, but veritas recommendation is to do it offline.

thanks again for that nice tip,

best regards PRESSY

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to add disk into Striped Volume VxVM

VxVM: How to add one more disk into v08 the stripe should change from 7/128 to 8/128 v v08 - ENABLED ACTIVE 8954292224 SELECT v08-01 fsgen pl v08-01 v08 ENABLED ACTIVE 8954292480 STRIPE 7/128 RW sd bkpdg35-01 v08-01 bkpdg35 17216 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: geoffry
0 Replies

2. Solaris

( VxVM ) How to add the removed disk back to previous disk group

Previously , i remove the disk by #vxdg -g testdg -k rmdisk testdg02 But i got error when i -k adddisk bash-2.03# vxdisk list DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS c0t0d0s2 auto:none - - online invalid c0t1d0s2 auto:none ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waibabe
1 Replies

3. Solaris

I have LUN ID, how to find disk relate to that LUN ID?

I have a list of LUN ID, my task is to find if disk has been added or not. How do I do that? I have been searching the forum and not able to find answer. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uuontario
4 Replies

4. AIX

Any tips to grow iSCSI LUN

Hi, I have an iSCSI LUN attached to an AIX 5.3 box. It's initial size is 250GB, I just grew it on the SAN to 300GB, but AIX is not seeing the change. Right now I have some processes going and it's eating up the disk space. I need to grow this lun by atleast 30GB otherwise the process with bomb... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
5 Replies

5. Red Hat

Grow LUN presented on Linux host

Hi, I have a SAN LUN of 550 GB created as an ext3 partition of the entire lun and need to make the lun and partition larger... 600 GB # fdisk -l /dev/sdj Disk /dev/sdj: 590.5 GB, 590558003200 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 71797 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which disk is LUN?

how do I know which hdisk from "lsdev -Cc disk" is my LUN on NetApp after zoning from SAN switch? is it "MPIO other FC SCSI Disk Drive"? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malayo
1 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

VxVM not able to see new disk

I have VxVM 5.1 running on Solaris-10. I have to increase a application file-system and storage team gave me a lun. After scanning scsi port by cfgadm, I can see them in format output. I labelled it, but I am not able to see them in "vxdisk list". I already tried commands --> vxdctl enable... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris/vxvm/EMC Lun configuration

Hello all, i try to allocate the same LUN to two server (or more in the future) i use solaris 10, vxvm (vxfs) for data and solaris zones and EMC DMX-4, i try to migrate solaris zones between servers in case of problem. and this is what i want to do - affect LUN to srv00124 and srv10155 -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mat_solaris
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

Removing a VxVM disk from a Disk Group

Hello all, So I made a rookie mistake today. I forgot to remove my disk from my disk group, before running the following command:for i in `ioscan -fnN | awk /NO/'{print $3}'` do rmsf -H $i done I am trying to run the following command, but not having any luck obviously:vxdg -g dgvol1 rmdisk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrkejames2
0 Replies
vxpfto(1M)																vxpfto(1M)

NAME
vxpfto - set Powerfail Timeout (pfto) SYNOPSIS
vxpfto -g diskgroup -t timeout vxpfto [-g diskgroup] -t timeout volume_list vxpfto [-g diskgroup] -o pftostate={enabled|disabled} vxpfto [-g diskgroup] -o pftostate={enabled|disabled} volume_list DESCRIPTION
Powerfail Timeout is an attribute of a SCSI disk connected to an HP-UX host (see the pfto(7) man page). The vxpfto command sets the Power- fail Timeout interval on a set of Volume Manager disks, either all disks in a disk group, or all disks underlying the volumes listed. The first form of the command sets the same PFTO value for all the disks in the specified VxVM diskgroup. In the second form, all disks underlying the given list of volumes are selected, optionally restricted by the disk group specified with the -g option. If you specify a diskgroup, any volume in the list not belonging to the diskgroup is ignored. Use the -o pftostate option to disable or enable PFTO. By default, PFTO is enabled. You can enable PFTO either on all disks in a disk group, or on all disks underlying the volumes listed. If you invoke vxpfto without arguments, it displays a usage message. OPTIONS
-g diskgroup Specifies the disk group for the operation, either by disk group ID or by disk group name. -o pftostate={enabled|disabled} Enables or disables the use of PFTO for IO. -t timeout Specifies the PFTO value in seconds. The value must be zero or a positive integer. Zero represents the system default PFTO value. The default value depends on the disk driver controlling the disk device. volume_list A list of VxVM volume names. List items must be separated by white-space. EXIT CODES
vxpfto returns a zero if successful. If it encounters an error, vxpfto exits and displays a message on standard error. Defined exit codes are: 0 Success. 1 No PFTO value specified. 2 No diskgroup or volume list specified. 3 Illegal PFTO value specified. EXAMPLES
Set the PFTO value on all disks in disk group testdg to 100 seconds: vxpfto -t 100 -g testdg Set the PFTO value to 50 seconds on all disks underlying volume01 and volume02 in disk group testdg: vxpfto -t 50 -g testdg volume01 volume02 Set the PFTO value to 300 seconds on all disks underlying volume01 and volume02, even though they are not in the same disk group: vxpfto -t 300 volume01 volume02 Disable PFTO on all disks in disk group testdg: vxpfto -g testdg -o pftostate=disabled Enable PFTO on all disks underlying volume01 and volume02i in disk group testdg: vxpfto -g testdg -o pftostate=enabled volume01 volume02 SEE ALSO
vxdisk(1M), pfto(7) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxpfto(1M)