Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Fork() system call time?
Top Forums Programming Fork() system call time? Post 302069452 by davidoff on Sunday 26th of March 2006 02:15:00 PM
Old 03-26-2006
Fork() system call time?

One more question. How can i calculate the time that system needs to make fork() system call? I need to make it with times function but i really don't know how. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

URGENT Help required regarding the use of FORK system call

I desperately wanted one of the UNIX Gurus to help me resolve my problem asap(I have to deliver the code to the client by Monday 08-oct). I have a file with around 5 million records (50 lakhs). Now my original process was taking around 30 hours to read the complete file, process each and every... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkumar1975
4 Replies

2. Programming

Measuring System Call Time

Can anyone please help me in measuring the system call timings! How do I do it if I have to measure the timing of an operation, say getpid system call. What different functions can I use for that and what would be the difference using each of them? Thanx! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chacha
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fork() system call

Can anyone explain me what really happens when a system call fork() is called ? I like to know what happens internally. Thanks in Advance. - Arun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunviswanath
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fork system call

Hi folks, I want to know how this below program works? #include <stdio.h> int main() { printf("A\n"); fork(); printf("B\n"); fork(); fork(); printf("D\n"); fork(); printf("C\n"); } This is just for example. How this type of programs where fork is used many places, how the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: u_peerless
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

fork system call understanding

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: i have a problem in understanding the behaviour of fork . i understood fork as to create a new process and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrUser
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

fork system call and \n

hi, i tried the following source codes: fork1.c: main() { printf("demo of fork\n"); fork(); printf("hello"); } output: demo of fork hello hello fork2.c: main() { printf("demo of fork"); (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pnirmala
0 Replies

7. Programming

Problem with execution of fork system call if i use \n

hi all, i tried the following source codes: fork1.c: main() { printf("demo of fork\n"); fork(); printf("hello"); } output: demo of fork hello hello fork2.c: main() (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pnirmala
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Doubt with fork() system call

Hi I wrote a simple fork program to illustrate the fork() system cal. here it is #include<stdio.h> #include<sys/stat.h> #include<sys/types.h> main() { int flag; flag=fork(); if(flag==0) { printf("Child \n"); printf("Process id= %d\n",getpid()); ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: badsha6642
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help: how to call fork() in shell script? New to linux

Hi, I'm writing a shell script where I want to call fork(). However I wrote like this "var=fork()" in c style and got this error: "syntax error near unexpected token `(' " How could I call fork() in shell script? Thanks in advance. Duplicate Post - Continue Here - Please Do Not Cross Post... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xiaoya
0 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Help: how to call fork() in shell script? New to linux

Hi, I'm writing a shell script where I want to call fork(). However I wrote like this "var=fork()" in c style and got this error: "syntax error near unexpected token `(' " How could I call fork() in shell script? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xiaoya
2 Replies
TRUSS(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  TRUSS(1)

NAME
truss -- trace system calls SYNOPSIS
truss [-facedDS] [-o file] [-s strsize] -p pid truss [-facedDS] [-o file] [-s strsize] command [args] DESCRIPTION
The truss utility traces the system calls called by the specified process or program. Output is to the specified output file, or standard error by default. It does this by stopping and restarting the process being monitored via ptrace(2). The options are as follows: -f Trace descendants of the original traced process created by fork(2), vfork(2), etc. -a Show the argument strings that are passed in each execve(2) system call. -c Do not display individual system calls. Instead, before exiting, print a summary containing for each system call: the total system time used, the number of times the call was invoked, and the number of times the call returned with an error. -e Show the environment strings that are passed in each execve(2) system call. -d Include timestamps in the output showing the time elapsed since the trace was started. -D Include timestamps in the output showing the time elapsed since the last recorded event. -S Do not display information about signals received by the process. (Normally, truss displays signal as well as system call events.) -o file Print the output to the specified file instead of standard error. -s strsize Display strings using at most strsize characters. If the buffer is larger, ``...'' will be displayed at the end of the string. The default strsize is 32. -p pid Follow the process specified by pid instead of a new command. command [args] Execute command and trace the system calls of it. (The -p and command options are mutually exclusive.) EXAMPLES
# Follow the system calls used in echoing "hello" $ truss /bin/echo hello # Do the same, but put the output into a file $ truss -o /tmp/truss.out /bin/echo hello # Follow an already-running process $ truss -p 34 SEE ALSO
kdump(1), ktrace(1), ptrace(2) HISTORY
The truss command was written by Sean Eric Fagan for FreeBSD. It was modeled after similar commands available for System V Release 4 and SunOS. BSD
May 12, 2009 BSD