Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Changing user profile - Newbie question Post 302069365 by panchopp on Friday 24th of March 2006 03:54:18 PM
Old 03-24-2006
Ok, I went through the "Files Reference" & "System User's Guide". And I believe it would work if I could create my home directory and the .profile file inside of it, correct? but I do not have authority to do so. Is this sth I should ask the system administrator?
Thanks again,
Panchopp.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

User profile

Sorry to I am not familiar with script writing , attach is the /etc/profile in my system , we have limit each user can only have one login in the system . When the user login , if the system found the user have a dead process in the system , the system will confirm the user to kill the previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ust
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Profile

Hi Guys, Im really new with this stuff...could anybody help to guide me ...how do i change/edit user profiile ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagasan_makmur
2 Replies

3. Solaris

[NewBie] Create User Profile

Hi i am a newbie on Sun Solaris system. for the above topic, creating a user profile for telnet, ftp through command line, may i know what the command is? and the way of creating the user profile.? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yewping
2 Replies

4. AIX

rerun .profile after changing variable

I changed a $variable in my .profile (AIX unix). I know I could exit out and logon onto unix again, but how do I rerun the .profile at the command line? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sboxtops
2 Replies

5. AIX

Which file has the user profile?

It's been a long time since I've done this and I can't remember which file is needed to edit. I would like to change the prompt for a user on my AIX 5.3 box, but I don't see a .profile file or a rc.ksh file to edit. Which file do I need to edit to get this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

trap in etc/profile and user .profile

Hello I really wonder what's trap in etc/profile and in each user .profile. I try to google for it but I think I have no luck. Mostly hit is SNMP traps which I think it is not the same thing. I want to know ... 1. What's a "trap 2 3" means and are there any other value I can set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smith
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

changing the .profile location

Hi Experts, Can any one guide me to change the .profile location; My case is; I have two .profile in /DATA/home/x/ as well as /home/x/. While login system default refers to /home/x/ but I need to change this to /DATA/home/x/. Please advice. It is urgent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jerald Nathan
3 Replies
su(1)							      General Commands Manual							     su(1)

Name
       su - substitute a user ID

Syntax
       su [username]

su - [username]

su -f [username]

Description
       The  command  requests the password of the specified username.  If the correct password is given, changes to that username without changing
       the current directory.  The user environment is unchanged except for HOME and SHELL which are taken from the password file entry for  user-
       name.   The  shell  that  is  run  is also taken from the password file entry for username.  The new user ID stays in force until the shell
       exits.

If no username is specified, `root' is assumed.	To remind the superuser of his responsibilities, the shell substitutes `#' for	its  usual
       prompt.

Options
       -f   Prevents from executing the .cshrc file, making start up faster.

-    Simulates a full login.

Diagnostics
       Sorry
	    An invalid password was supplied for the specified username.

Unknown login: username
	    The specified username was not found in the passwd database.

No directory
	    The home directory for the username is not accessible at this time (only with ``-'' argument).

No shell
	    The shell specified in the passwd database entry for username could not be executed.

Kerberos initialization failure
	    Consult your system administrator.

If enhanced security features are enabled the following error messages are also possible:

Requires secure terminal
	    Attempt to su to UID 0 on a line that is not marked secure in

User's password has expired
	    Access is denied because the password for username is expired.

This account is disabled
	    Access is denied because the auth entry corresponding to username is marked disabled.

Files
       Log file of anyone who became
			root, with a date mark.

See Also
       csh(1), sh(1), passwd(5yp), environ(7), edauth(8)
       Security Guide for Administrators
       Security Guide for Users

su(1)