Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RSH password problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers RSH password problem Post 302069154 by punyenye on Thursday 23rd of March 2006 03:09:29 AM
Old 03-23-2006
RSH password problem

Hello,

I am currently trying to execute a command in a Windows machine from a UNIX server. In order to do this, I am using the RSH command in UNIX but whenever i do this I am getting this error "RSHD: <username>: could not retrieve password: Please login and run rsetup."

I log in via the rlogin and run rsetup then inputted the password. So by this time I am assuming that password has been setup for my username. I tried to reexecute the command but still got the same error: RSHD: <username>: could not retrieve password: Please login and run rsetup.

I hope you can assist me with this

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with rsh

Hi all I have checked the archives and cannot find a solution. I get a permission denied error, however all the suggestions donot help. here is the scenario root@OPSBOX#/>rsh OPSBOX ls -l rshd: 0826-813 Permission is denied. root@OPSBOX#/>pg .rhosts OPSBOX root OPSBOX ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh problem

Hi, I am using rsh command in scripting. But I wan to run the script as a bg process. When I run the script, it says stopped. My doubt is ....if I use the rsh in scripting ......bg is possible or not ??? EX: test-rsh rsh 172.16.73.38 df -k >DF.log Result when I run this script ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vastare
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh problem

hey, I'v a problem when I use rsh. When it logs in, it goes my home directory. I want it to go directly to my working directory. An idea I had was to redirect pwd to a file (pwd > somefile) and then once I'v rsh'd, cd to that path. I don't know how to read from the file to use as a parameter for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bacchus
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh problem

I tried to execute by rsh a script, but I did not succeed. You can execute only commnads (not scripts) by rsh or there are some other restrictions?!? root@a1 #pwd / root@a1 #rsh a2 monitor ksh: monitor: not found On the other hand: root@a1 #rsh a2 root@a2 #pwd / root@a2 #ls monitor... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: heartwork
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh problem

Dear, I am trying to execute a script in the X machine by remote logging from machine Y. Note that in the X machine in host file the ip and the hostname of the Y is defined and in the .rhosts the hostname and the username of the Y is defined. By using the following: rsh X -l username -n "sh... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tontal
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsh as super user without password prompt

Dear forum, First off, I'm using Solaris 5.6 UNIX. I'm trying to write a script which will connect to remote computers on a network (by specific IP's from a hosts file) and will run a separate script which is installed in each of the remote computers. My problem is that to run the script in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TheMightyUrrrrf
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange problem with rsh

Hello All, I'm facing a weird problem with rsh. There are 2 machines: host1.domain1.com and host2.domain2.com. I have setup $HOME/.rhosts file in both the hosts. When I login to host2.domain2.com and issue: $ rsh host1 It works fine but when I login to host1.domain1.com and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sacguy08
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem using RSH

Hi, I have an old solaris 2.6 box and I need to copy all the data from the hard drive onto another machine. It does not have ssh installed so I am forced to use rsh. My plan was to execute the rcp command from the solaris box to a Centos 5 machine. I have installed rsh client and server on my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh login to host with password

Hello, iḿ rather new to writing scripts in UNIX so i thought this would be a good start. I need to write a script that can login to different hosts in a standalone network. That means there are no connection to Internet etc. I need to collect some data on the hosts, and they have different... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: topy
11 Replies

10. AIX

Help with rsh problem

Hi all, just after a bit of help.. I am attempting to read in the contents of a flat text file from one system to another using 'rsh', i have this setup over around 15 machines and it works for them all except one. On this one machine it just reads in a blank line for some reason. The machine... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: forefather1977
21 Replies
LOGIN(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  LOGIN(8)

NAME
login.krb5 - kerberos enhanced login program SYNOPSIS
login.krb5 [-p] [-fFe username] [-r | -k | -K | -h hostname] DESCRIPTION
login.krb5 is a modification of the BSD login program which is used for two functions. It is the sub-process used by krlogind and telnetd to initiate a user session and it is a replacement for the command-line login program which, when invoked with a password, acquires Ker- beros tickets for the user. login.krb5 will prompt for a username, or take one on the command line, as login.krb5 username and will then prompt for a password. This password will be used to acquire Kerberos Version 5 tickets (if possible.) It will also attempt to run aklog to get AFS tokens for the user. The version 5 tickets will be tested against a local krb5.keytab if it is available, in order to verify the tickets, before letting the user in. However, if the password matches the entry in /etc/passwd the user will be unconditionally allowed (permitting use of the machine in case of network failure.) OPTIONS
-p preserve the current environment -r hostname pass hostname to rlogind. Must be the last argument. -h hostname pass hostname to telnetd, etc. Must be the last argument. -f name Perform pre-authenticated login, e.g., datakit, xterm, etc.; allows preauthenticated login as root. -F name Perform pre-authenticated login, e.g., datakit, xterm, etc.; allows preauthenticated login as root. -e name Perform pre-authenticated, encrypted login. Must do term negotiation. CONFIGURATION
login.krb5 is also configured via krb5.conf using the login stanza. A collection of options dealing with initial authentication are pro- vided: krb5_get_tickets Use password to get V5 tickets. Default value true. krb_run_aklog Attempt to run aklog. Default value false. aklog_path Where to find it [not yet implemented.] Default value $(prefix)/bin/aklog. accept_passwd Don't accept plaintext passwords [not yet implemented]. Default value false. DIAGNOSTICS
All diagnostic messages are returned on the connection or tty associated with stderr. SEE ALSO
rlogind(8), rlogin(1), telnetd(8) LOGIN(8)