Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX platform
Operating Systems AIX AIX platform Post 302069083 by RTM on Wednesday 22nd of March 2006 01:50:44 PM
Old 03-22-2006
Quote:
The base operating system 64-bit runtime fileset is bos.64bit. Installing bos.64bit also installs the /etc/methods/cfg64 file. The /etc/methods/cfg64 file provides the option of enabling or disabling the 64-bit environment via SMIT, which updates the /etc/inittab file with the load64bit line. (Simply adding the load64bit line does not enable the 64-bit environment).

The command lslpp -l bos.64bit reveals if this fileset is installed. The bos.64bit fileset is on the AIX media; however, installing the bos.64bit fileset does not ensure that you will be able to run 64-bit software. If the bos.64bit fileset is installed on 32-bit hardware, you should be able to compile 64-bit software, but you cannot run 64-bit programs on 32-bit hardware.

The syscalls64 extension must be loaded in order to run a 64-bit executable. This is done from the load64bit entry in the inittab file. You must load the syscalls64 extension even when running a 64-bit kernel on 64-bit hardware.
Hardware Required for 64-Bit Mode

You must have 64-bit hardware to run 64-bit applications. To determine whether your system has 32-bit or 64-bit hardware architecture:

1. Log in as a root user.
2. At the command line, enter bootinfo -y.

This produces the output of either 32 or 64, depending on whether the hardware architecture is 32-bit or 64-bit. In addition, if you enter lsattr -El proc0 at any version of AIX, the type of processor for your server displays.
Kernel Extensions vs. 64-bit Kernel

To determine if the 64-bit kernel extension is loaded, at the command line, enter genkex |grep 64.

Information similar to the following displays:

149bf58 a3ec /usr/lib/drivers/syscalls64.ext

Note:
Having the driver extensions does not mean that the kernel is a 64-bit kernel. A 64-bit kernel became available at the AIX 5.1 level. The driver extensions simply allow the 64-bit application to be compiled by a 32-bit kernel. If the 32-bit kernel has a 64-bit processor, syscalls64.ext allows the 64-bit application to execute. Yet at the AIX 5L level, a 64-bit kernel and a 64-bit processor has better performance with 64-bit applications.
Changing from 32-Bit to 64-Bit

To truly change the kernel to 64-bit, the system must be at the AIX 5.1 or AIX 5.2 levels. To change to a 64-bit kernel, enter the following commands:

ln -sf /usr/lib/boot/unix_64 /unix
ln -sf /usr/lib/boot/unix_64 /usr/lib/boot/unix
lslv -m hd5
bosboot -ad /dev/ipldevice
shutdown -Fr

Changing from 64-Bit to 32-Bit

To change the kernel back to 32-bit, enter the following commands:

ln -sf /usr/lib/boot/unix_mp /unix
ln -sf /usr/lib/boot/unix_mp /usr/lib/boot/unix
lslv -m hd5
bosboot -ad /dev/ipldevice
shutdown -Fr
See info at ibm.com

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Platform decision

Hi folks First, let me apologize in advance for the long message. I know this will sound like a typical "newbie" message but I am really working to understand the technology in order to make informed decisions. I am currently in the process of evaluating Unix hardware and OS platforms for an... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scooter
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tracing utilities for AIX platform

Hello, I have an application problem that uses trimrun on an AIX 5.1 platform. A specific process clocks at 100% for a cpu. I would like to trace/debug this process to see what it is doing. I have used trace & truss but wondering if there are other utilities out there that are better? Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ctcuser
1 Replies

3. AIX

migrating easytrieve from Z/OS to AIX platform

Hi, my requirement is to migrate easytrieve running on Z/OS to AIX platform. can anyone let me know what changes should be made if we do such a migration. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit510
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

which platform

hi everyone, i am new in unix. i want to write(develop) unix shell script/program. which platform can i use. Generally i write scripts in "vi" platform. Are there any platform for develop shell programs. Please help me. Thanx for your advice. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: temhem
6 Replies

5. AIX

AIX platform: network interface list

Hi, I am trying to list all the interface present in the given system. Here is sample program. i.e. cat 1.c #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/socket.h> #include <sys/ioctl.h> #include <sys/dlpi.h> #include <net/if.h> /*#include <sys/sockio.h>*/ #include <unistd.h> #include... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgobbur
3 Replies

6. Programming

about unix platform

Hi can any body post example for socket tcpclient in c++ act like browser with HTTp 1.1 and send message for the server (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Net Star
2 Replies

7. AIX

Lost PIDs on AIX platform? (Bing reused eventhough they does not exist currently for any Component.

Dear ALL, I'm working on a Siebel CRM enterprise which is completely on AIX 5.3 platform. I'm trying to find some information, in case you may be able to help. Is there any command/procedure on AIX 5.3 by which I could check the blocked PIDs or lost PIDs for my Siebel Object Manager... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
5 Replies

8. AIX

Adding CR to ascii data file generated on AIX platform and will be transmitted to Windows OS

I desperately need help converting ascii data file generated on AIX platform that contains dollar sign ($) at the end of each line in the data file as shown below. ME570^0128237^HG278999^20140805:21:00:00^BEENZ001^$ This is the AWK command for adding CR to the new line. awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cumeh1624
1 Replies

9. AIX

Error when running .sh file in AIX platform

Hi, I am trying to open Oracle Warehouse Builder (10g) Design Center in AIX platform using the command ./OWBClient.sh. When I execute, I am getting the below error. The JVM option is invalid: -XX: MaxPermSize=256M. Could not create the Java Virtual Machine. Any resolution guidance for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: becky123
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Java 32 bit installation fails on an AIX platform

Hello. It is my first to deal with Java installation on an AIX platform. I am now trying to install Java 32bit using installp command. However, it throws back the message that the installation media cannot be found. I need to install Java 32bit to proceed with an installation of Oracle JD... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: EJ2019
0 Replies
libplot(3LIB)							Interface Libraries						     libplot(3LIB)

NAME
libplot, lib300, lib300s, lib4014, lib450, libvt0 - graphics interface libraries SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lplot [ library... ] #include <plot.h> DESCRIPTION
Functions in this library generate graphics output. INTERFACES
The shared object libplot.so.1 provides the public interfaces defined below. See Intro(3) for additional information on shared object interfaces. arc box circle closepl closevt cont erase label line linemod move openpl openvt point space FILES
/usr/lib/libplot.so.1 shared object /usr/lib/64/libplot.so.1 64-bit shared object /usr/lib/lib300.so.1 shared object /usr/lib/64/lib300.so.1 64-bit shared object /usr/lib/lib300s.so.1 shared object /usr/lib/64/lib300s.so.1 64-bit shared object /usr/lib/lib4014.so.1 shared object /usr/lib/64/lib4014.so.1 64-bit shared object /usr/lib/lib450.so.1 shared object /usr/lib/64/lib450.so.1 64-bit shared object /usr/lib/libvt0.so.1 shared object /usr/lib/64/libvt0.so.1 64-bit shared object ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsl (32-bit) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | |SUNWcslx (64-bit) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pvs(1), Intro(3), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 13 Jun 2003 libplot(3LIB)