Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: MS Office for Linux..
Operating Systems Linux MS Office for Linux.. Post 302069020 by shawnbishop on Wednesday 22nd of March 2006 07:18:00 AM
Old 03-22-2006
Hi

There is no MS office for Linux,so dont bother looking..you can do the following..

1. Download CrossOver Office ( or any other "wine" emulator) for linux,once this is installed ( it is a commercial version of wine),or you can struggle with wine

2. CXoffice will guide you through a menu to setup MS Office,but you will need a licensed version of MS office.

3. In the setup it will create an enviroment to run the MS product,you can run other products like Macromedia stuff.

Cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailx - out of the office

I'm using the mailx client on Solaris to read my email. I would like to know if it is possible to create an "Out of the Office" reply to the sender of email while I'm on vacation??? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigfish
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

Office tool for HP-UX 11.0 ?

Hi Experts, I am facing a problem in opening the office files like *.doc, *.ppt , *.xls etc in HP Unix. How do I do this? Is the software available , If yes is it freely available or Do I need to buy it ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasanna
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can i find staroffice or any other kind office program for unix or linux?

No detail:confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
4 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Linux & Office Suites

Please give me the names of some TOTALLY FREE Linux distributions and MS Office like applications suites for Linux. Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oti
8 Replies

5. News, Links, Events and Announcements

SuSe Linux runs MS Office

SuSe Linux runs MS Office (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Office

My first question is: Is there a version of Microsoft Office out for Unix? My second Question is: If there isn't a version of Microsoft Office for Unix, then can i get MS office for MAC OS X and install it on my sparc sytems? Im running solaris 8 and 10. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikster007
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

how can i get open office package for Redhat Linux 5.0

Dear Team, Any body who have idea to down load the open office package for Redhat linux 5.0. Please send me the URL. so that i can easily down load from net. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahu.tapan
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finger command not showing Office, Office Phone from /etc/passwd

Not sure if this is the best place to post, but at this point my question seems to be an advanced topic. I'm curious why it is that the "office phone" column of finger does not seem to report anything even when data is entered in the GECOS field of /etc/passwd. I am using Ubuntu 8.10, kernel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gratuitous_arp
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

error to openopen office

Hi I am receiving folowing error while running open office on redhat please guide how to resolve (I) x.org loaded video driver of... (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so (==) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp (III) Desktop is: GNOME (IV) openoffice.org-kde... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manigrover
1 Replies

10. Linux

Office installation on Linux without root access

Need Assistance in finding office open source for REDHAT linux. Need to be compiled as non-root user . If possible I also need instructions for installation. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
6 Replies
chfn(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   chfn(1)

Name
       chfn - change system finger entry

Syntax
       chfn [ loginname ]

Description
       The  command  is used to change information about users.  This information is used by the program, among others.  It consists of the user's
       real name, office room number, office phone number, and home phone number. The command prompts the user for each field.	 Included  in  the
       prompt  is  a  default  value,  which is enclosed between brackets.  The default value is accepted simply by typing <CR>.  To enter a blank
       field, type the word `none'.  This is an example:
       % chfn
       Changing finger information for doe
       Name [John Doe]:
       Office number [ABC-1/K0]: DEF-2/K1
       Office Phone []: 1863
       Home Phone [5771546]: none

The command allows phone numbers to be entered with or without hyphens.	No entries may contain colons, commas, or control characters.

It is a good idea to run after running to make sure everything is the way you want it.

The optional argument loginname is used to change another person's finger information.  This can only be done by the superuser.

Restrictions
       The encoding of the office and extension information is installation dependent.

Because two users may try to write the file at once, a synchronization method was developed.  On rare occasions, a message that	the  pass-
       word file is "busy" will be printed.  In this case, sleeps for a while and then tries to write to the file again.

If the passwd entry is distributed from another host will not modify it.

See Also
	      chsh(1), finger(1), passwd(1), passwd(5yp)

chfn(1)