Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting I want to append password in /etc/shadow file Post 302068927 by Perderabo on Tuesday 21st of March 2006 09:29:07 PM
Old 03-21-2006
I'll tell you what I do, but it is a little risky. First I add the users to a "prototype" box. This is just some box where I start. I add the users, assign initial passwords, and I ask the user to sign on, change their passwords, and be sure that they like the shell, gcos info etc. I do not want to copy this around and then find that they csh or something. After the users accounts are all ready on the prototype box, I extract their lines from /etc/password and /etc/shadow. I use this to create a simple script that appends the lines to /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. The script also makes the home directories, etc. I test this script on a test system. Once I am sure that I trust the script, I use an automated procedure to transfer to the boxes in question and run it. Like I said, this is a little risky. But I am careful and I am confident that I can correct any fumbles that occur.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove shadow password

Does anyone know how to remove a stanza in the shadow password file if the user account has already been removed on an AIX box? I know it can be done by editing the file itself but I would prefer not to do it that way. cheers gizaa (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gizaa
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shadow file after a password reset

hi, I had to reset a lost root password by editing the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files ( this is a xen vm file, so i mounted and chrooted the file ) after the reboot with an empty password on root , i have set a new password with passwd but it only changed the /etc/passwd file.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: progressdll
0 Replies

3. Linux

Interpreting the encrypted shadow password?

We are currently using a script to copy the same encrypted password between our HP-UX and Solaris servers editing the trusted and shadow files directly. The encrypted password is only 13 characters long on both servers and decrypts the same way. Is there a way to copy this same string to Linux... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Password Recovery From /etc/shadow file

Is it possible to reset a normal user password , by editing password field in /etc/shadow file? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksvaisakh
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/etc/shadow encrypted password

Hi I wonder whether is possible to generate enrypted passwd for some user and paste it into /etc/shadow file ? What kind of encryption is used in /etc/shadow file ? ths for help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: presul
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Shadow file password policy

Today i was going through some of security guides written on linux . Under shadow file security following points were mentioned. 1)The encrypted password stored under /etc/shadow file should have more than 14-25 characters. 2)Usernames in shadow file must satisfy to all the same rules as... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Users who have never changed their password from /etc/shadow.

Hello, I have to do a script which returns users who have never changed their password from /etc/shadow. Here is what have I done and I'm not sure if it's ok. I tried to return just users who doesn;t have password set or are locked. Can be there other kind of user who never changed the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalint
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to append on specific line in password file

I have the a group file and my ftp group line looks like this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: slufoot80
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove the non : characters after the password in shadow file?

On SPARC Solaris 10. I set the app account so it's expired. I also want it so not required to change password at first login, I can do this by removing the numbers after the password in /etc/shadow. example using user1 The /etc/shadow file looks like this: user1:kOmcVXAImRTAY:0::::90:: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TKD
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using the encrypted password of the shadow file

i have an application that uses the encrypted password that's in the /etc/shadow file. i copied the line for the particular username i was interested it in from shadow file and i pasted it into the password file of the application. the application is nagios. this application allowed that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies
lppasswd(1)							    Apple Inc.							       lppasswd(1)

NAME
lppasswd - add, change, or delete digest passwords. SYNOPSIS
lppasswd [ username ] lppasswd -a [ -g groupname ] username lppasswd -x username DESCRIPTION
lppasswd adds, changes, or deletes passwords in the CUPS digest password file, passwd.md5. When run by a normal user, lppasswd will prompt for the old and new passwords. When run by the super-user, lppasswd can add new accounts (-a username), change existing accounts (user- name), or delete accounts (-x username) in the digest password file. Digest usernames do not have to match local UNIX usernames. OPTIONS
lppasswd supports the following options: -g groupname Specifies a group other than the default system group. SECURITY ISSUES
By default, the lppasswd program is not installed to allow ordinary users to change their passwords. To enable this, the lppasswd command must be made setuid to root with the command: chmod u+s lppasswd While every attempt has been made to make lppasswd secure against exploits that could grant super-user privileges to unprivileged users, paranoid system administrators may wish to use Basic authentication with accounts managed by PAM instead. SEE ALSO
lp(1), lpr(1), http://localhost:631/help COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2013 by Apple Inc. 22 February 2008 CUPS lppasswd(1)