Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need to read a file and keep waiting till it satisfies some condition Post 302068873 by senthilk615 on Tuesday 21st of March 2006 11:25:36 AM
Old 03-21-2006
need to read a file and keep waiting till it satisfies some condition

In my script i am writing to a counter file the no of processes i had started,
that is each time i start a process, i will increment the content of counter file and also when the process ends i will decrement the content of the file.

after this i do some other activities, by now i want to decide to execute further or wait till the processes i started earlier got over.

So i keep reading the counter file for till content becoming zero.
I am confused of writing the above part in script please help me writing a loop to keep reading the file till the contents become zero.

regards,
Senthil

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

how to read a file till it encounters a blank line

Hi , I want to read a file starting with "*" up to till it encounters a blank line and to redirect this output to a different file.Plz suggest how to write a script for this. e.g:- * PK Sent Email (11.23) CALYPSO 1243215 9116457 NEW TRAD FAILED Nov 23 2007 9:34AM OASYS: DPS:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adityam
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi , I want to read a file starting with "*" up to till it encounters a blank line and to redirect this output to a different file.Plz suggest how to write a script for this. e.g:- * PK Sent Email (11.23) CALYPSO 1243215 9116457 NEW TRAD FAILED Nov 23 2007 9:34AM OASYS: DPS: SINGCORP invalid... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hi , I want to read a file starting with "*" up to till it encounters a blank line and to redirect this output to a different file.Plz suggest how to write a script for this. e.g:- * PK Sent Email (11.23) CALYPSO 1243215 9116457 NEW TRAD FAILED Nov 23 2007 9:34AM OASYS: DPS: SINGCORP invalid... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read file and print additional rows till current year

Hi all i have a file like 2006,1,2 2007,2,3 2008,3,4 I will read this and my output should be like 2006,1,2 2007,1,2 2008,1,2 2007,2,3 2008,2,3 2008,3,4 Giving the explanation, we will read the first line of the file and if the year any other than current year, we will print as many... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Waiting till the directory becomes empty

Hi Guys, I am writing a shell script to check whether the directory is empty or not. If it is empty then proceed but if it not then wait till it becomes empty. Is there any way for this? Suggestions are welcome!! Thanks in advance!:) (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: AB10
13 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When reading a csv file, counter to read 20 lines and wait for minute then read next 20 till end

Hello All, i am a newbie and need some help when reading a csv file in a bourne shell script. I want to read 10 lines, then wait for a minute and then do a reading of another 10 lines and so on in the same way. I want to do this till the end of file. Any inputs are appreciated ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor.s
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

write a matrix element, if the "if" condition satisfies

Hi All, I would like to check a condition in a nxm matrix and if the condition satisfies then, I need to write the matrix element in the output file. For example, I have a matrix like this: 1 2 3 4 5 2 3 4 5 1 3 4 5 1 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fredrick
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition satisfies print the column header

Dear All, Good Day. I would like to solve the following issue and got some strange results, if anyone could help me in this regard, you are most welcome. Here is the problem: I have a file like Header Value1 Value2 Value3 Value4 Value5 Value6 ... Value9 12.144 6 5 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fredrick
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to read a file from particular line till required line and process

Hi All, Am trying to write wrapper shell/bash script on a utility tool for which i need to pass 2 files as arugment to execute utility tool. Wraper script am trying is to do with above metion 2 files. utility tool accepts : a. userinfo file : which contains username b. item file : which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read xml file till script finds separation and run again for next input and so on

Hi All, I have one query, I managed to run script with user inputs through command line or with 1 file. But I need to read a txt file/xml file in which user can mention multiple sets of answers and script should run for each set till it reach the EOF. Thanks in advance for example, the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rv_champ
3 Replies
I386_PMC_INFO(2)					   BSD/i386 System Calls Manual 					  I386_PMC_INFO(2)

NAME
i386_pmc_info, i386_pmc_startstop, i386_pmc_read -- interface to CPU performance counters LIBRARY
i386 Architecture Library (libi386, -li386) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <machine/sysarch.h> #include <machine/specialreg.h> int i386_pmc_info(struct i386_pmc_info_args *ia); int i386_pmc_startstop(struct i386_pmc_startstop_args *ssa); int i386_pmc_read(struct i386_pmc_read_args *ra); DESCRIPTION
These functions provide an interface to the CPU performance counters on the 586-class and 686-class processors. i386_pmc_info() will return information about the available CPU counters. The information is returned in ia having the following structure: struct i386_pmc_info_args { int type; int flags; }; The type member describes the class of performance counters available. Valid values are: PMC_TYPE_NONE No PMC support PMC_TYPE_I586 586-class CPUs PMC_TYPE_I686 686-class Intel CPUs PMC_TYPE_K7 686-class AMD CPUs The flags member describes additional capabilities of the processor. Valid values are: PMC_INFO_HASTSC CPU has time-stamp counter i386_pmc_startstop() is used to start and stop the measurement of the CPU performance counters. The argument ssa has the following struc- ture: struct i386_pmc_startstop_args { int counter; uint64_t val; uint8_t event; uint8_t unit; uint8_t compare; uint8_t flags; }; The counter specified by the member counter is started if the member flags has PMC_SETUP_KERNEL or PMC_SETUP_USER set, otherwise the counter is stopped. The initial value of the counter is set to val. Additional values for the flags member are PMC_SETUP_EDGE and PMC_SETUP_INV. The event member specifies some event written to the control register. The unit member specifies the measurement units. The compare member is a mask for the counter. i386_pmc_read() will return information about a specific CPU counter measured during the last measurement period determined by the calling of i386_pmc_startstop(). The information is returned in ra having the following structure: struct i386_pmc_read_args { int counter; uint64_t val; uint64_t time; }; The counter to read should be specified by the counter member. Counters are numbered from 0 to PMC_NCOUNTERS. The value of the counter is returned in the val member. The time since epoch, measured in CPU clock cycles, is returned in the time member. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion zero is returned, otherwise -1 is returned on failure. BSD
November 10, 2001 BSD