Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Retrieving IP address of Client from Server Post 302068798 by matrixmadhan on Tuesday 21st of March 2006 04:06:57 AM
Old 03-21-2006
Thanks for the reply Per,

shell spawned by login process which in turn is spawned by in.telnetd, where each instance of in.telnetd is dedicated to each of the login process. And in.telnetd should have the status of the active socket connection with the client which had initiated an active request.

And one more way, use
pfiles <in.telnetd pid>

since i dont have root permission i was just thinking of alternate way.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IP address of telnet client

Hi, I am using the telnet client on windowsNT to access the Unix system. I want to find out the IP address of the telnet client from the server side. The reason is I want to set the DISPLAY environment variable when the user is logged on. Is there anyway that the the Unix server can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

Client Ip Address

I have a UNIX daemon program which takes client connections via TCP/IP sockets. What I need to know is if there is any way of getting the IP address of the client socket once a connection has been made... or do I have to code my client to send it manually ? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ovingtond
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

client IP address

when working on a telnet is it possible the client machine accessing the server machine supply its IP Address to the server machine . The only other shell i can use is the TCL shell. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rolly
2 Replies

4. Programming

Getting IP Address of a client

I read an other post with a similar title but thios is different. here is a basic portion layout of our network Win PC 1 w/Refection X -- | Win PC 2 w/Refection X -- |-- 1 of 6 HP Unix servers -- Win 2k pc Win PC 3 w/Refection X -- ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fayette
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

ip address of a client

A client(PC) connects to an unix server via terminal emulator. How can I obtain that client's IP address? The unix server is an old SVR4.2 (NCR) and the "who" command does not show ip addresses. I need a command or a shell script or a C/C++ program that will help me to obtain the client's... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ka2d2
6 Replies

6. Solaris

How to get the IP address / Host name of client machine

Hi How to get the IP address / Host name of a particular user connected to Unix Server. For example: If used 'DevUser1' is connected to Unix server. I need to find out from which PC this connection has been made. How can this be achieved? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVL
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determining IP address of NFS server on client

Hi. We use an Isilon cluster system to provide our NAS. The Isilon uses a round-robin DNS setup to spread mount requests across the many nodes of the cluster. When a node needs work, the filesystems that are mounted to it need to be moved to other nodes prior to shutting the node down. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rascalrick
2 Replies

8. Programming

Client/Server Socket Application - Preventing Client from quitting on server crash

Problem - Linux Client/Server Socket Application: Preventing Client from quitting on server crash Hi, I am writing a Linux socket Server and Client using TCP protocol on Ubuntu 9.04 x64. I am having problem trying to implement a scenario where the client should keep running even when the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun.nagpaal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieving file size in a remote server using SSH

Hi, I have public and private keys and that's works fine for me. now I am sending files one by one on remote server and I want to check is file successfully delivered or not by comparing size of file on local machine and remote server using ‘stat -c%s'. Below operations need to be done on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
2 Replies

10. Web Development

How to enable x-client-ip address in apache webserver LogFormat?

how to enable x-client-ip address in apache webserver LogFormat i tried below option, but no luck... 1. LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined 2. LogFormat "%{X-Forwarded-For}i %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\"" proxy 3.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghur77
0 Replies
Server(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       Server(3pm)

NAME
Net::SMTP::Server - A native Perl SMTP Server implementation for Perl. SYNOPSIS
use Carp; use Net::SMTP::Server; use Net::SMTP::Server::Client; use Net::SMTP::Server::Relay; $server = new Net::SMTP::Server('localhost', 25) || croak("Unable to handle client connection: $! "); while($conn = $server->accept()) { # We can perform all sorts of checks here for spammers, ACLs, # and other useful stuff to check on a connection. # Handle the client's connection and spawn off a new parser. # This can/should be a fork() or a new thread, # but for simplicity... my $client = new Net::SMTP::Server::Client($conn) || croak("Unable to handle client connection: $! "); # Process the client. This command will block until # the connecting client completes the SMTP transaction. $client->process || next; # In this simple server, we're just relaying everything # to a server. If a real server were implemented, you # could save email to a file, or perform various other # actions on it here. my $relay = new Net::SMTP::Server::Relay($client->{FROM}, $client->{TO}, $client->{MSG}); } DESCRIPTION
The Net::SMTP::Server module implements an RFC 821 compliant SMTP server, completely in Perl. It's extremely extensible, so adding in things like spam filtering, or more advanced routing and handling features can be easily handled. An additional module, Net::SMTP::Server::Relay has also been implemented as an example of just one application of this extensibility. See the pod for more details on that module. This extension has been tested on both Unix and Win32 platforms. Creating a new server is as trivial as: $server = new Net::SMTP::Server($host, $port); This creates a new SMTP::Server. Both $host and $port are optional, and default to the current hostname and the standard SMTP port(25). However, if you run on a multi-homed machine, you may want to explicitly specify which interface to bind to. The server loop should look something like this: while($conn = $server->accept()) { my $client = new Net::SMTP::Server::Client($conn) || croak("Unable to handle client connection: $! "); $client->process; } The server will continue to accept connections forever. Once we have a connection, we create a new Net::SMTP::Server::Client. This is a new client connection that will now be handled. The reason why processing doesn't begin here is to allow for any extensibility or hooks a user may want to add in after we've accepted the client connection, but before we give the initial welcome message to the client. Once we're ready to process an SMTP session, we call $client->process. This may HANG while the SMTP transaction takes place, as the client and server are communicating back and forth (and if there's a lot of data to transmit, well...). Once $client->process returns, various fields have been filled in. Those are: $client->{TO} -- This is an array containing the intended recipients for this message. There may be multiple recipients for any given message. $client->{FROM} -- This is the sender of the given message. $client->{MSG} -- The actual message data. :) The SMTP::Server module performs no other processing for the user. It's meant to give you the building blocks of an extensible SMTP server implementation. For example, using the MIME modules, you can easily process $client->{MSG} to handle MIME attachments, etc. Or you could implement ACLs to control who can connect to the server, or what actions are taken. Finally, a suggested use that the author himself uses, is as an SMTP relay. There are lots of times I need access to an SMTP server just to send a message, but don't have access to one for whatever reason (firewalls, permissions, etc). You can run your own SMTP server whether under Unix or Win32 environments, and simply point your favorite mail client to it when sending messages. See the Net::SMTP::Server::Relay modules for details on that use. AUTHOR AND COPYRIGHT Net::SMTP::Server / SMTP::Server is Copyright(C) 1999, MacGyver (aka Habeeb J. Dihu) <macgyver@tos.net>. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. You may distribute this package under the terms of either the GNU General Public License or the Artistic License, as specified in the Perl README file. SEE ALSO
Net::SMTP::Server::Client, Net::SMTP::Server::Relay perl v5.10.1 1999-12-28 Server(3pm)