Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users how to set the environment variable at run time Post 302068648 by matrixmadhan on Monday 20th of March 2006 04:38:10 AM
Old 03-20-2006
Quote:
Your program can only set the environment for itself and any children it would fork.
And those env variables that are not part of the profile should be exported for the child to make use of it.
Quote:
It can however not set the environment of its own parent.
I believe the hierarchy doesnt goes from child to parent, and only from parent to child.
Quote:
Since you mentioned the getenv() and setenv() syscalls I assume you are referring to some C code.
Yes, I had specified them to make use in 'C' code only.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How does the PATH and MANPATH environment variable get set?

Hi, How does the PATH and MANPATH environment variable get set? I want to add "/opt/SUNWspro/bin" to the search path for all the users. Where can I access this variable. I know in my home directory, depend on which shell I use, there are files such as .profile and .cshrc which I can edit to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

set environment variable?

Installed a program, need to set the system up so that when the executable is entered, it finds the path to the executable. In Windows, set under system properties, advanced, environmental variables. How do I do this with Unix? Specifically using Solaris 9. I have tried: env... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kohoutek
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in getting the path of environment variable set in bashrc in my shell script

hi all i have joined new to the group. i have set an variable in my bashrc file. .bashrc PROGHOME=/home/braf/braf/prog export PROGHOME but while using it in my shell script its path is not taken and i had to explicitly give the export command to set the path. in my script... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: krithika
8 Replies

4. Linux

How do i set environment variable

Hi, I am quite new to Linux. And I have doubt how to set new environment variable with value to a C executable. Let say I have a environment variable $Hack ; I would like to load a value for this variable; so that when the C executable is executed, the $Hack would set the variable value. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
4 Replies

5. Solaris

set environment variable?

I am working with solaris 9 sunBlade150 Box. I Installed a program, need to set the environment variable so that when the executable is entered,it finds the path to the executable. The documentation for the software says: Set the appropriate environment variable: Connect to server failed;... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set a variable that changes every time?

Do not know how to do this, any help would be appreciated: I have a file that comes in called xxxx.txt. I have a script that does some messing around with the file. The file needs to go out as PAB108XXXX.csv The four x's above will be a number that changes everytime the script is ran e.g.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ORACLE_HOME environment variable not set!

hi, i am new to perl: os : Linux i wrote simple perl script to select from table i am getting this error and how to set ORACLE_HOME environment variable : script: #!usr/bin/perl use DBI; use Mail::Sendmail; #use Date::Calc; use MIME::QuotedPrint; use HTML::Entities; use POSIX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash.gr
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set Environment variable from another file

Hi, i have the following env variable. currently i am exporting variable in the same script file. but i need this is in a text file and the scripts need to export this variable from the text file. can you please suggest me. is it possible. export... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using same variable in 2 different scripts that run at the same time

Hi, I have two scripts that use the same variable. Say suppose I export that variable in script 1 and try to use it in script 2 where I have declared it locally, what will be the effective value of the variable? Will it take the exported value or the locally declared? example: Script1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PraveenSikamani
4 Replies

10. Solaris

How to search for the sessions that have a certain environment variable set?

Hi all, In Solaris 10, is there a way to search for the sessions that have a certain environment variable set? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
8 Replies
PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)					     Library Functions Manual						 PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)

NAME
pthread_atfork - register handlers to be called at fork(2) time SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_atfork(void (*prepare)(void), void (*parent)(void), void (*child)(void)); DESCRIPTION
pthread_atfork registers handler functions to be called just before and just after a new process is created with fork(2). The prepare han- dler will be called from the parent process, just before the new process is created. The parent handler will be called from the parent process, just before fork(2) returns. The child handler will be called from the child process, just before fork(2) returns. One or several of the three handlers prepare, parent and child can be given as NULL, meaning that no handler needs to be called at the cor- responding point. pthread_atfork can be called several times to install several sets of handlers. At fork(2) time, the prepare handlers are called in LIFO order (last added with pthread_atfork, first called before fork), while the parent and child handlers are called in FIFO order (first added, first called). To understand the purpose of pthread_atfork, recall that fork(2) duplicates the whole memory space, including mutexes in their current locking state, but only the calling thread: other threads are not running in the child process. The mutexes are not usable after the fork and must be initialized with pthread_mutex_init in the child process. This is a limitation of the current implementation and might or might not be present in future versions. RETURN VALUE
pthread_atfork returns 0 on success and a non-zero error code on error. ERRORS
ENOMEM insufficient memory available to register the handlers. AUTHOR
Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr> SEE ALSO
fork(2), pthread_mutex_lock(3), pthread_mutex_unlock(3). LinuxThreads PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)