Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Copying files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copying files Post 30202 by cerberusofhate on Friday 18th of October 2002 01:18:25 AM
Old 10-18-2002
If you cannot setup any servers (like for instance if you don't have administrator privledges), you can use uuencode, then just cat | more the file, copy it from your terminal to a regular text file, then page it some more, etc. This is rather a pain in the ass, but its what I did while I was in college (using a shell account with no ftp/etc servers *OR* ability to connect to servers). Ahhhh.....the days when life sucked Smilie
cerberusofhate

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Copying Files and

I am new user to solaris and installed solaris operating system on full Harddisk 120Gb. I am unable to copy music files to desktop and /home directory. One thing happened while registering is- i entered login-root and its password. The message prompted your system is crashed. Is it because of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patilmukundraj
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying files

hi I want to copy all files from the current directory and move to .archive file. Moreover,I want to add .bak to each file name, that will be copied. How can I do that? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Copying Files

Hi, I understand that to copy files across server, the feasible way will be using scp command. Am I right? What if the two servers are not connected to a network? If by using a cross cable to link up both the server, what will be the best (fastest) way to copy files across? scp as well? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user50210
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copying of files by userB, dir & files owned by userA

I am userB and have a dir /temp1 This dir is owned by me. How do I recursively copy files from another users's dir userA? I need to preserve the original user who created files, original group information, original create date, mod date etc. I tried cp -pr /home/userA/* . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying Files

Hi All, I'm trying to list some files from my log directory and files are like this log.20110302_20.gz log.20110302_21.gz log.20110302_22.gz log.20110302_23.gz log.20110303_00.gz log.20110303_01.gz log.20110303_02.gz ............ log.20110311_22.gz log.20110311_23.gz... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files copying - [ Listed files alone. ] - Shell script

Hi All, I am doing this for svn patch making. I got the list of files to make the patch. I have the list in a file with path of all the files. To Do From Directory : /myproject/MainDir To Directory : /myproject/data List of files need to copy is in the file: /myproject/filesList.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files after result

Hi, I have a shell script #!/bin/sh date echo 'HI PROD' echo $Please ENTER THE INPUT 1 for old files 2 for new file read i if ; then cd /apps/acetp3_logs/prod3/O* pwd echo $PLEASE ENTER THE STRING TO SEARCH (PLEASE ENTER THE STRING INSIDE QUOTES ' ') read j echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files excluding some files

Hi, I have a folder which contains files in this format. abc-bin.000001 abc-bin.000002 abc-bin.000003 abc-bin.000004 abc-bin.000005 abc-bin.000006 abc-bin.000007 abc-bin.000008 abc-bin.000009 abc-bin.000010 abc-bin.index I want to copy all the files between abc-bin.000004... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arijitsaha
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files

All, I need to grab and rename common files from several unique directory structures. For example, the directory structures looks like: /unique_dir/common/common/common/person_name_dir/common_file.txt There are over 90,000 of these text files that I'd like to put in a single directory as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hburnswell
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files

I'm trying to do this exact same thing, so far I have created this to move files i've named my script CP.sh #!/bin/bash cd /root/my-documents/NewDir/ for f in *.doc do cp -v $f root/my-documents/NewDir $f{%.doc} done When i go to run this in the console i type, bin/sh/ CP.sh but it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MKTM_93_SIMP
7 Replies
SETUP-DS.PL(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    SETUP-DS.PL(8)

NAME
setup-ds.pl - Set up an instance of Directory Server SYNOPSIS
setup-ds.pl [--options] -- [args] DESCRIPTION
Set up a Directory Server instance. Creates the configuration files for an instance of Directory Server based on a few parameters like the hostname, port number, and directory manager information. Can be run in interactive mode with different levels of verbosity, or in silent mode with parameters supplied in a .inf format file or on the command line. OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below: --help This message --version Print the version and exit --debug Turn on debugging --silent Use silent setup - no user input --file=name Use the file 'name' in .inf format to supply the default answers --keepcache Do not delete the temporary .inf file generated by this program --logfile Log setup messages to this file - otherwise, a temp file will be used --update Update existing installations - add/update schema files, add/change configuration, add new instance scripts, etc. You must run set- up-ds.pl -u after upgrading your packages. You will usually have to restart your servers in order for all of the changes to take effect (e.g. adding/changing plug-in configuration), so schedule this when you can afford a little downtime. --continue (Update only) Keep going even if errors occur. You will usually not need to use this option unless your installation is broken and you need to force it to update in order to fix it. For all options, you can also use the short name e.g. -h, -d, etc. For the -d argument, specifying it more than once will increase the debug level e.g. -ddddd args: You can supply default .inf data in this format: section.param=value e.g. General.FullMachineName=foo.example.com or "slapd.Suffix=dc=example, dc=com" Values passed in this manner will override values in an .inf file given with the -f argument. UPDATES
The update process (setup-ds.pl -u) can work in one of two modes: Online: Configuration changes are made to the running directory servers using LDAP. The operations must be performed as an administrative user. You must provide the name and password, for each instance if there is more than one instance of directory server. Some changes (e.g. plug-ins) may require a directory server restart to take effect. The update script will notify you if a restart is required. Offline: The changes are made to the server configuration files. The servers MUST FIRST BE SHUTDOWN BY YOU. The script will not shutdown the servers for you. You MUST shutdown the servers in order to use this mode. A username and password are not required to use Offline mode. If the servers are not shutdown, CHANGES WILL BE LOST. To summarize: Online - servers remain running - you must provide admin name and password for each server - servers may need to be restarted Offline - servers must be shutdown - no username or password required AUTHOR
setup-ds.pl was written by the 389 Project. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to http://bugzilla.redhat.com. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2008 Red Hat, Inc. This manual page was written by Michele Baldessari <michele@pupazzo.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of the Directory Server license found in the LICENSE file of this software distribution. This license is essentially the GNU General Public License version 2 with an exception for plug-in distribution. May 18, 2008 SETUP-DS.PL(8)