Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers The history of UNIX and the ideas behind it Post 30093 by LivinFree on Wednesday 16th of October 2002 04:54:52 PM
Old 10-16-2002
Darwin (the "unix" backend of the OSX interface) has already been ported to x86. So it's little more than a command-line and an odd filesystem (case in-sensitive filenames in Unix?? WTF?) right now.

OSX will probably never make it to x86 - Apple's reliability and speed is based heavily on tight integration with the hardware and software. It would just become another Windows...

And you can change your forum view in User CP - I personally like the InfoPop one...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Unix History Link

Link describe the Step by step formation of Unix http://perso.wanadoo.fr/levenez/unix/ Also: - History - Author of First Unix C Language - Unix Family research Tree - BSD and Sun History chart - Technical Comparison between Unix Diffrences (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: killerserv
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix History Question: Why are filenames/dirnames case sentsitive in Unix?

I tried looking for the answer online and came up with only a few semi-answers as to why file and directory names are case sensitive in Unix. Right off the bat, I'll say this doesn't bother me. But I run into tons of Windows and OpenVMS admins in my day job who go batty when they have to deal... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

Unix History

Hi everybody Im Megadrink!!! This is my first thred. Ive recently been introduced to Unix and i was interested in Unix's History. Can anyone give me a breif History On Unix. Just when it was invented/released. Maybe someother cool things about it. Thx for the information in advance!! :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Megadrink
2 Replies

4. Hardware

Need ideas for graduation project based on unix or linux

Dear all, i am in last year of electronics department in engineering faculty i need suggestions for a graduation project based on unix or free bsd or linux and electronics "embedded linux " i think about embedded unix for example or device drivers please i need helps (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MOHA-1
1 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Need ideas for graduation project based on unix or linux Need ideas for graduation project based on

Dear all, i am in last year of electronics department in engineering faculty i need suggestions for a graduation project based on unix or free bsd or linux and electronics "embedded linux " i think about embedded unix for example or device drivers please i need helps (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning project ideas - shell, python, UNIX tools, system administration

Hi guys, I am currently working as a system administration engineer, administering telecom applications on linux/unix platforms. I want to learn new things and improve the ones that i have and for this i though to really work on some project or something but i lack of ideas. I want to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: capitanui
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

History file in UNIX

commands to view the history file in unix. I am not sure whether it is bash_history.sh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
1 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

The Great History of UNIX (1969-1999) | 30 Years of UNIX History | YouTube Video

I am pleased to announce this new video in 1080 HD for UNIX lovers honoring thirty years of UNIX history spanning from 1969 to 1999 presented in 150 seconds (two and a half minutes) in 1080 HD, celebrating the 50th anniversary of UNIX. The Great History of UNIX (1969-1999) | 30 Years of UNIX... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
8 Replies
Wx(3pm) 						User Contributed Perl Documentation						   Wx(3pm)

NAME
Wx - interface to the wxWidgets cross-platform GUI toolkit SYNOPSIS
use Wx; my $app = Wx::SimpleApp->new; my $frame = Wx::Frame->new( undef, -1, 'Hello, world!' ); $frame->Show; $app->MainLoop; DESCRIPTION
The Wx module is a wrapper for the wxWidgets (formerly known as wxWindows) GUI toolkit. This module comes with extensive documentation in HTML format; you can download it from http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/ INSTALLATION
Please see docs/INSTALL.pod in source package. Windows XP look For standalone (packed using PAR, Perl2Exe, Perl2App, ...) applications to get Windows XP look, a file named "App.exe.manifest" (assuming the program is named "App.exe") and containing the text below must be placed in the same directory as the executable file. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?> <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0"> <assemblyIdentity processorArchitecture="x86" version="5.1.0.0" type="win32" name="Controls" /> <description>Super wxPerl Application</description> <dependency> <dependentAssembly> <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" language="*" processorArchitecture="x86" /> </dependentAssembly> </dependency> </assembly> Running on Mac OSX From version 0.98 wxPerl no longer needs to use the special startup executable 'wxperl' to run scripts on the Mac. The ordinary perl interpreter now works without problems. This is because wxPerl now contains code that brings the running application to the front and gives it the focus. In a syntax checking editor you may prevent Wx code from being given focus as the front process by setting an environment variable export WXPERL_OPTIONS=NO_MAC_SETFRONTPROCESS or $ENV{WXPERL_OPTIONS} = 'NO_MAC_SETFRONTPROCESS'; The code that makes the SetFrontProcess call is in Wx::Mini as Wx::MacSetFrontProcess(); so it is also straightforward to override this method if you wish. Finally, any code can force the running application to become the front process regardless of environment settings by calling the xs method directly. (Note the underscore in the method name). Wx::_MacSetFrontProcess(); AUTHOR
Mattia Barbon <mbarbon@cpan.org> LICENSE
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-22 Wx(3pm)