Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Process and its initiator's IP Post 29992 by Perderabo on Tuesday 15th of October 2002 08:37:43 AM
Old 10-15-2002
You should be giving each user a unique id which is used to login to your system. This id would then appear in the UID field of your "ps" listing. Then you would know the user who started the process and if you really cared which workstation he used to start the process you could just ask him. But this won't work if you let many people log on as "oracle" or something.

If there is a value like "pts/23" in the TTY field, you can try "ps -ft pts/23" and get all the processes using that tty.

The start time of the process (STIME) may be a clue. You can see who was logged on at that time by checking your wtmp file. (who /var/adm/wtmp)

You can look at the PPID field to get the parent. And get the parent of that and so on all the way to pid 1. Ignore pid 1 and look at the process whose parent is 1. If this is inetd, look at the next process in the chain. If this is something like xterm or telnetd, it will have a connection to a remote system. You can use "lsof -p" to see that connection.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to subtract 2 hours from 'date' in shell ( /bin/sh ) script ?

I write a sh script that zip and copy to tape all files that older then 2 hours. 1. The way I choose is - touch a file with "now - 2 hours", then use fine with '! -newer' 2. Do you have any other idea to do it ? tnx. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yairon
1 Replies

2. Programming

i can't use 'make' in my computer?

I need to compile a file,but 'make' does not work.please tell me how to use it or need which tools? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsun5
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

HELP! The '/var/adm/message' file increase every few seconds???

Hi, guys, I have a big problem. I've got a sun solaris 4.1.4 workstation, and the /var/adm/message file will add one row every few seconds. It soon becomes a large file. I wander if there are some mistakes configuring the workstation. the /var/adm/message is as follow: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cloudsmell
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP! The '/var/adm/message' file increase every few seconds???

Hi, guys, I have a big problem. I've got a sun solaris 4.1.4 workstation, and the /var/adm/message file will add one row every few seconds. It becomes a large file in a short time. I wander if there are some mistakes configuring the workstation. the /var/adm/message is as follow: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cloudsmell
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quoting echo 'it's friday'

echo 'it's friday' why appear the > (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

7. IP Networking

BELKIN 'F5D5020' 16bit PCMCIA - FreeBSD HOWTO

Hey all, I've bought a few bits from Belkin who seem quite happy to support FreeBSD! Last time I bought a UPS from them and it's still going well :D I saw this on their website that the 16bit PCMCIA card was supported under FreeBSD: http://www.belkin.com/network/F5D5020.html I went to my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: WIntellect
0 Replies

8. Email Antispam Techniques and Email Filtering

Procmail recipe: blocking 'unsubscribe and opt-out' messages....

Here is a crude procmail recipe that I quickly created (NOT a procmail recipe expert, btw) that has been catching lots of spam (current second after the charset_spam recipe posted earlier): :0B * .*If.you.do.not.wish.to.receive...* more_spam :0B * You.requested.to.receive.this.mailing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a file with a leading dash '-' in it's name?

Somehow someone created a file named '-ov' in the root directory. Given the name, the how was probably the result of some cpio command they bozo'ed. I've tried a number of different ways to get rid of it using * and ? wildcards, '\' escape patterns etc.. They all fail with " illegal option --... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSalisbury
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are the differences between 'bash' and 'sh'

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too much of a "newbie" question or a flamebait. But I have recently begun working with a Sun Solaris box after having spent the past five years working with RedHat. From what i can tell, thing look fairly similar and the 'man' command is some help. But I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies
nfsd(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   nfsd(8)

NAME
nfsd - The remote NFS compatible server SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/nfsd [-t num_tcpthreads] [-u num_udpthreads] The following form of the nfsd command is not recommended and is supported only for backward compatibility: /usr/sbin/nfsd [numthreads] FLAGS
Specifies a number of TCP server threads (per RAD) to spawn. A value of 8 is recommended as a start. Specifies a number of UDP server threads (per RAD) to spawn. A value of 8 is recommended as a start. DESCRIPTION
The nfsd daemon runs on a server machine to service NFS requests from client machines. The daemon spawns a number of server threads that process NFS requests from client machines. At least one server thread must be running for a machine to operate as a server. There are two types of server threads: a server thread that processes NFS requests sent using TCP and a server thread that processes NFS requests sent using UDP. This is necessary because the kernel paths for UDP and TCP NFS messages are different. The -t option specifies the number of TCP threads to run and the -u option specifies the number of UDP threads to run. On systems that support Cache Coherent NUMA, the number of threads is per Resource Affinity Domain (RAD). As you add RADs, the NFS server will automatically scale by creating additional threads. NFS requests are processed by a particular RAD based on the file being accessed; this confines cached information about a file to a single RAD for efficiency. See numa_intro(3) for more information on the NUMA architec- ture. If you use the SysMan Menu to configure NFS, it sets the default at 8 UDP and 8 TCP threads. However, a user can have any number of TCP and UDP nfsd threads running up to a maximum of 128 threads. The optimal number of TCP server threads and UDP server threads depends on many factors. See nfsiod(8) for more information. The server threads are implemented as kernel threads; they are part of Process ID 0, not the nfsd process. The ps axml command displays idle server threads under PID 0. Idle threads will be waiting on nfs_udp_wait or nfs_tcp_wait. Therefore, if 16 server threads are config- ured, only one nfsd process is displayed in the output from the ps command, although 16 server threads are available to handle NFS requests. Files that are larger than 2 gigabytes are exported as 2 gigabyte files when accessed by NFS Version 2. NFS Version 2 is a 32-bit proto- col, therefore, the size and offset fields are 32-bit quantities (on Alpha UFS they are 64-bit quantities). Use caution when accessing files larger than 2 gigabytes from NFS clients. EXAMPLES
In the following example, 16 threads are run (8 for TCP and 8 for UDP): nfsd -t 8 -u 8 FILES
Specifies the command path Specifies the file for logging startup errors (before the server threads are started). Specifies the file for logging NFS errors (after the server threads are started). RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: mount(8), mountd(8), nfsconfig(8), nfsstat(8), portmap(8) System calls: nfssvc(2) delim off nfsd(8)