Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers URGENT, root file system is 99% Post 29889 by yls177 on Sunday 13th of October 2002 09:16:03 PM
Old 10-13-2002
hi, i still cant find the file and i have increased the disk space so that my root file system is 83%. please help
yls177

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

URGENT iptrace, root file system is 99%

help, urgently root file is 99% hi, this iptrace causes my root file system to be 99%. iptrace writes to a file but i didn not specify any file so how? and how to reduce my root file system since i suspect that it is iptrace which causes this.? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yls177
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

root file system full

Hi I have a Solaris 2.5.1 system. Recently my file system is full and i couldn't find what flood my root file system. Anyone can suggext any directories i should look out for. I am using Samba and Patrol agent. I am just usng this server as a file server, users cannot login into the system,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: owls
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Root File system Space

Hi I'm using HP-UX 11.00, the root file system is as shown below. Several time it reach 100% used, to free some space I use to reboot the system. What can I do to free some space without rebooting the machine? Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on /dev/vg00/lvol3 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgege
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Root file system is 82% full

Hi I want to find out the reason that why root partition is 82% full? when i did fu -k / then most of files were created on /var . can you please help me to find out what I need to do in order to find the reason. Regards Ajwat (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ajwat
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root File System Full

Hi All, The root file system of the HP-UX serevr I use is showing as 100% full. It has a disk space of ~524MB. When I add up the sizes of all the files and directories (using du -sk) , except mount points, it came up to 237MB. But when I bdf it still shows 100% full Can anyone help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sube
3 Replies

6. Solaris

How to recover root file system

Please can anyone explain me how to take a backup of root file system and how to recover it if it is corrupted. please explain me in detail (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suneelieg
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Why Veritas is not used for root file system.

Dear All, In our environment we use SDS (Solaris Vlume Manager) for root file system.So, I am wondering why Veritas is not use for the same. root@abc # df -kh Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d10 30G 22G 6.9G 77% / /devices ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reboot
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root file system full..Need help

Hi guys, In sun E250 server,root file system is full. we cleared log files in var/adm folder syslogs,mail logs,crash logs are empty. This is a production server. we are not able to run fsck from single user mode. I have given output of df and du command.How to create space in root... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PUSHPARAJA
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root File System

Hi, Please someone tell me, what are the contents of root file sysytem? and significance of it, what are all possible ways to mount root file system? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxmi Sharma
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies
newfs(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  newfs(8)

Name
       newfs - construct a new file system

Syntax
       /etc/newfs [ -N ] [ -n ] [ -v ] [ mkfs-options ] special disk-type

Description
       The command is a front-end to the program.  The program looks up the type of disk a file system is being created on in the disk description
       file calculates the appropriate parameters to use in calling then builds the file system by forking If the file system is a root partition,
       installs the necessary bootstrap program in the initial 16 sectors of the device.

If there is no disk description for the specified disk type in the file, the program will use the subroutine to derive disk geometry infor-
       mation from the controlling device driver.  This functionality is provided for MSCP and SCSI disks.

Options
       -N	 Runs in no update mode.  In this mode, will not write to

-n	 Prevents the bootstrap program from being installed.

-v	 Instructs to print out its actions, including the parameters passed to

Options which may be used to override default parameters passed to are:

-s size	 The size of the file system in sectors.

-b block-size
		 The block size of the file system in bytes.

-f frag-size
		 The fragment size of the file system in bytes.

-t #tracks/cylinder
       -c #cylinders/group
		 The number of cylinders per cylinder group in a file system.  The default value used is 16.

-m free space %
		 The percentage of space reserved from normal users; the minimum free space threshold.	The default value used is 10%.

-o optimization
		 Specifies whether the file system will optimize for space or for time.

-r revolutions/minute
		 The speed of the disk in revolutions per minute (normally 3600).

-S sector-size
		 The size of a sector in bytes (almost never anything but 512).

-i number of bytes per inode
		 This specifies the density of inodes in the file system.  The default is to create an inode for each 2048 bytes  of  data  space.
		 If fewer inodes are desired, a larger number should be used; to create more inodes a smaller number should be given.

Files
       For disk geometry and file system partition information

To actually build the file system

For boot strapping program

See Also
       disktab(5), fs(5), chpt(8), fsck(8), format(8v), creatediskbyname(3x), mkfs(8), tunefs(8)
       "A Fast File System for UNIX", Supplementary Documents, Volume 3: System Manager

newfs(8)