Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming programming question from a newbie, please help Post 29793 by Perderabo on Friday 11th of October 2002 10:15:33 AM
Old 10-11-2002
This project is certainly doable. But expect it to take an experienced programmer a couple of days to get everything right. If the data is absolutely perfect this would be fairly easy. But the program must be ready for 87's without a coresponding 89 and vice versa. Also there could be a run of two or more 89's followed by the right number of 87's.

There may not be a need to code this C. A very powerful shell like ksh could handle this. A C program will be fastest though.

But whatever language you pick, this is not a project for someone who is considering becoming a programmer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie Question

Hi, I have a file, that is delimited by :: and the purpose of this file is none of your business. ;) There are about 65000 lines in this file, and there are lines that I would like to remove. About 45000 of them. Is there some sort of commands that I can run, to remove word(s) from this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: th3gh05t
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Programming Newbie Chick

OK, so I'm trying to finish my last individual assignment for this course, and it's the first time I've visited a forum (I've actually understood UNIX up to this point). I am having trouble with this one. I have to write a program that prompts the user to type their first name and stores it in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: metalgoddess21
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newbie question

I am taking a db classes toward oracle 10g. I am taking unix as well . I need to know what is the best option for os . should I use linux fedora. or get a sun box and start learning from there. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xzyan
6 Replies

4. Programming

newbie to unix programming in C, needed a few simple prgs on these functions!

Hi all, I am a newbie to unix programming using C.. So i would like to have a few simple C programs to start off with.. I wanted programs on learning , abort,kill and raise,alarm and pause,I would also like to know how to use the vfork() in a prg It would be really great if i can have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie

Hi, I am new to programming and also to perl..But i know 'perl' can come to my rescue, But I am stuck at many places and need help..any small help is much appreciated... below is the description of what i intend to acheive with my script. I have a files named in this format... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: xytiz
13 Replies

8. Fedora

Newbie at Linux Kernel programming!

Hi Friends, This is my first ever post on this forum. I am a new user in the Linux field. Although, I have been working for sometime with CentOS at my work, I would consider myself an amateur only in this field. :D The way file system works in linux and the reason its open-source, has really... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohitrajjain
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie needs help with Xlib / X11 programming,dunno who to ask,but you :(

Hi,I'm new here and to Unix also. I'm totall newbie. Here is what I have to do: -Basics of programming user interface with Xlib library -Xlib -Client/Server model of X-Windows system -Example of "Hello world" with button which changes text ,so that when u click displays another... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: megane16v
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Programming newbie -help!!

Hi I am trying to learn shell script and i ran into an issue. I am trying to read a file with few directories and tar them up. I used a while loop but i end up overwriting tar file with only the last directory in the file being tared . cat test.txt | ( while read line do tar -czPf... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SPR
8 Replies
io_wait(3)						     Library Functions Manual							io_wait(3)

NAME
io_wait - wait for events SYNTAX
#include <io.h> void io_wait(); DESCRIPTION
io_wait() checks the descriptors that the program is interested in to see whether any of them are ready. If none of them are ready, io_wait() tries to pause until one of them is ready, so that it does not take time away from other programs running on the same computer. io_wait pays attention to timeouts: if a descriptor reaches its timeout, and the program is interested in reading or writing that descrip- tor, io_wait will return promptly. Under some circumstances, io_wait will return even though no interesting descriptors are ready. Do not assume that a descriptor is ready merely because io_wait has returned. io_wait is not interrupted by the delivery of a signal. Programs that expect interruption are unreliable: they will block if the same sig- nal is delivered a moment before io_wait. The correct way to handle signals is with the self-pipe trick. SEE ALSO
io_waituntil(3), io_check(3), io_wantread(3), io_wantwrite(3), io_fd(3) io_wait(3)