Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX HP-UX 11.11 SAM no longer displaying configurable parameters Post 29718 by Kelam_Magnus on Thursday 10th of October 2002 03:23:03 PM
Old 10-10-2002
I have a big problem with this "security group"

First, let me say that you can use kmtune with the -r option to reset them to the default value. Try this for all configurable parameters or any other kernel parms that may be changed and then apply these changes. Maybe that will help. You may have to reset all parms to the default and then restore from your OLD kernel that was in use before these problems started.

kmtune(1M)
NAME
kmtune - query, set, or reset system parameter

-r name
Reset the value of a system parameter to the default.

Now, let me say that I agree with Perderabo. Regrettably, you may need to reinstall or if possible, have your "security group " remove the patches, if that is even possible.

As an Admin, this really upsets me. I have a real problem with anyone installing patches on my box that aren't thoroughly tested on a similar test box.

For them to install untested or at least undetermined patches is a very serious problem for me. Even though it seems to be a small problem to some, if that had happened at my company, someone would be reprimanded for this type of action. In reality, this may be a much more serious problem because it might cause you to have to incur downtime to repair damage caused by another group. I don't know what sway you have, but I would let someone know that I am very displeased with the possible consequences of this security patch.

They may see this as a small problem, but I hope you will let them know the gravity and the principle of this issue, installing patches without having tested them or not knowing what the impact of same is or how to fall back and remove them.

Please keep us informed on what your resolution is for this.

Smilie

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SAM file

I am having a problem on an HP box, where I am being told that there are too many open files. I am also being told I need to change a SAM file. Could some help me understand what a SAM files is and what it is used for. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristian
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

help on sam

hi, any idea how to get more info on the usage, unix equivalent of sam in hp-ux? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HP-UX Restricted SAM

I am having trouble getting restricted SAM to work by allocating Privileges to a "group". I can make it work by allocaing to the userid's, but would preferre to use the "group" option. Running B.11.11 Tried the following.... 1) Created a user group in /etc/group first 2) Used the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Andrek
1 Replies

4. AIX

tuning network parameters : parameters not persist after reboot

Hello, On Aix 5.2, we changed the parameters tcp_keepinit, tcp_keepintvl and tcp_keepidle with the no command. tunrestore -R is present in inittab in the directory /etc/tunables we can clearly see the inclusion of parameters during reboot, including the file lastboot.log ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble displaying parameters passed into a for loop

#!/bin/bash function check_num_args() { if ; then echo "Please provide a file name" else treat_as_file $* fi } function treat_as_file() { numFiles=$# for((i=1;i<=$numFiles;i++));do echo $i ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kikilahooch
3 Replies

6. Programming

C++ problem displaying parameters using dOxygen

I have written some C++ code with documentation code for dOxygen as below. However the parameters are not showing up. /// \file /// /// #ifndef __VECT2_HH__ #define __VECT2_HH__ #include <iostream> #include <assert.h> #include <cmath> #include "common.hh" ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies

7. HP-UX

HPUX 11.23 - Sam and Smh.

I've just been on an HP Training Course for HPUXv11.31 and found out about the gui / web for SMH. I never did a course on HP11v23. On our two servers here in the UK that run 11.23 I'm pretty sure that when I typed in "sam" on the command line it went to a sort of smh. (There was a message saying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markp1965
2 Replies
diff2patches(1) 														   diff2patches(1)

NAME
diff2patches - Extract non-debian/ patches from .diff.gz files SYNTAX
diff2patches filename diff2patches --help|--version DESCRIPTION
Extracts patches from .diff.gz which apply to files outside the "debian/" directory scope. A patch is created for each modified file. Each patch is named according to the path of the modified file, with "/" replaced by "___", and an extension of ".patch". OPTIONS
filename Extract patches from filename which apply outside the "debian/" directory. --help Output help information and exit. --version Output version information and exit. FILES
debian/control Existence of this file is tested before any patch is extracted. debian/ debian/patches/ Patches are extracted to one of these directories. "debian/patches/" is preferred, if it exists. If DEB_PATCHES is present in the environment, it will override this behavior (see "ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES" section below). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
DEB_PATCHES When defined and points to an existing directory, patches are extracted in that directory and not under "debian/" nor "debian/patches/". SEE ALSO
combinediff(1) AUTHOR
Raphael Geissert <atomo64@gmail.com> Raphael Geissert <;atomo64@gmail.com> diff2patches(1)