Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers error while extracting using TAR Post 29664 by janr on Thursday 10th of October 2002 03:55:05 AM
Old 10-10-2002
Tools This helps, I guess

The error message of tar means, you try to write a file from the tar-archive to the disk, while this file is larger size then specified in the /etc/security/limits.

You can overwrite this limits by using the `ulimit` command.
I think you had to be administrator (= root access) to change those limits.

when you use ulimit (no options) it shows you the current max. file size. In blocks of 512 bytes

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extracting from tar.bz2

hi could any body tell me how to extract .tar.bz2 files i tried using tar but in vain. i found bzip2 in googling but i could not find it on machine unix tru64 please suggest. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raom
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting from a tar file

Dear experts I have received a tar file containing several files with full path. Now I need to restore it in another system but when I want to extract files by using tar -xvf tarfile it wants to create all files with full paths again in new system in which I don't have enough previleges. How... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
4 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Extracting from a tar file

Can I extract files from an archive file (tar), where the filename includes the full directory path, to a different directory? For example the archive files may have a filename of /SrcFiles/XXX/filename.dat and I want to extract it to /SrcFiles/YYY/filename.dat. Since the archive file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmalencia
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting from a tar archive file

Can I extract files from an archive file (tar), where the filename includes the full directory path, to a different directory? For example the archive files may have a filename of /SrcFiles/XXX/filename.dat and I want to extract it to /SrcFiles/YYY/filename.dat. Since the archive file was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmalencia
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Extracting certain /paths/* using tar

forgive my ignorance. I did a search of this sub-forum for "tar -xp" and variations on the same w\out success, so here goes... Scenario: filename.tar file. Desired Task: I want to be able to extract only files from the user's public_html folder (and all those under it as an option) from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting .tar files.

Hey guys complete n00b here so I'll try my best at explaining. I'm creating a backup and restore utility and decided to use tar. I create a backup folder in each user's account and when backing up (say word processing files), I use the following: tar cvf /home/user/backup/wpbackup.tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EwanD
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar stucks while extracting

I am trying to extract tar file of size 167MB but most of the times tar command stuck while extraction. Command: new 24389 24369 0 Nov21 ? 00:00:00 tar -xf NCSanJose1_req_rep.tar While running process with gdb following back trace was obtain: ... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: freebee
24 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Error messages while extracting tar.bz2 in Ubuntu

while extracting a tar.bz2 file using the command tar xjf git.tar.bz2 I received error messages that shows Cannot hard link to and Cannot create symlink to error messages what will be the reason for those error messages. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravana krishn
4 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Uncompressing but not extracting tar.Z file

Hi I have a few hundred files with extension .tar.Z. These files were archived (tar) and compressed (Z) on a UNIX system. I need to unzip them but not extract them. In other words they need to go to .tar extension. I would like to do this on my MAC or on a windows pc. I do not have a UNIX... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalbano
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting .tar.gz files

I have a directory tree containing archive .tar.gz files that I want to extract at the location where they recide. How can I achieve such an operation? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
7 Replies
tar_extract_all(3)						  C Library Calls						tar_extract_all(3)

NAME
tar_extract_all, tar_extract_glob, tar_append_tree - high-level tar archive manipulation functions SYNOPSIS
#include <libtar.h> int tar_extract_all(TAR *t, char *prefix); int tar_extract_glob(TAR *t, char *globname, char *prefix); int tar_append_tree(TAR *t, char *realdir, char *savedir); VERSION
This man page documents version 1.2 of libtar. DESCRIPTION
The tar_extract_all() function extracts all files from the tar archive associated with the TAR handle t into the path named by the prefix argument. The tar_extract_glob() function extracts all files matching the given glob pattern from the tar archive associated with the TAR handle t into the path named by the prefix argument. The tar_append_tree() function appends all files from the directory tree named by realdir to the tar archive associated with the TAR handle t. The pathnames stored in the tar archive are modified by replacing realdir with savedir, so that the files will be extracted into savedir. RETURN VALUES
On successful completion, these functions will return 0. On failure, they will return -1 and set errno to an appropriate value. ERRORS
These functions will fail under the same conditions that the tar_skip_regfile(), tar_extract_regfile(), opendir(), lstat(), or tar_append_file() functions fail. SEE ALSO
opendir(2), lstat(2), tar_skip_regfile(3), tar_extract_regfile(3), tar_append_file(3) University of Illinois Jan 2001 tar_extract_all(3)