Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: most effective search ?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers most effective search ? Post 29602 by minazk on Wednesday 9th of October 2002 09:18:40 AM
Old 10-09-2002
Also, in some OS's you will find the "which" command.
It searches for any kind of executables or files in the directories mentioned in the PATH & displays the absolute path of the file.

Usage :

#which "filename"
minazk

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Changing effective user

I would like to give execution rights for a script to one user. (that's the easy part...) When that user is running the script, I would like the effective user ID to be that of the file-owner. Is this possible? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hilmel
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variables for Effective Username?

Hey all, I'm glad to have found this forum as I'm trying to dive head first into Solaris 8 - been working with it for a few months now and am finally getting a bit comfortable with the layout and concepts. In any case, on to the questions... :D I was wondering how I would go about displaying... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: QuadMonk
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing the Effective Group ID

Here is my situation. On a RedHat 7.3 box, I have a user named jody. When I log in with jody and type in "id", I get the expected output: uid=1(jody) gid=1(jody) groups=1(jody), 510(test) However, I cannot figure which "id" option allows me to change the effective gid. I tried the options... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jody
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the most effective way to process a large logfile?

I am dealing with a very large firewall logfile (more than 10G), the logfile like this *snip* Nov 9 10:12:01 testfirewall root: Nov 9 10:12:01 testfirewall root: 0:00:11 accept testfw01-hme0 >hme0 proto: icmp; src: test001.example.net; dst: abc.dst.net; rule: 1; icmp-type: 8;... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Real and Effective IDs

Can anyone explain me in details of Real and Effective IDs (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] effective user id upon exec

Hello all. Despite the exec man page, the exec system call seems to turn my effective-user-id into my real-user-id. I coded and compiled 2 very simple c programs as user 1 (uid=501) The first one (A) prints real and effective user IDs and then execs the second one (B), which in turn prints... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: oviv
7 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

Password rules not effective

I was looking for a good list of words to exclude people from using as passwords, i.e. those that could be guessed easily. I'm working through a whole bunch of suggestions from skullsecurity.org, but I managed to find this page that seems to suggest I have more options than I thought. :b: I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
1 Replies

8. Programming

About uncopyable class (on book:Effective C++)

See the following code: #include<iostream> using namespace std; class Uncopyable { protected: Uncopyable(){cout<<"hehe\n";} ~Uncopyable(){} private: Uncopyable(const Uncopyable &rhs){cout<<"oooops\n";}; Uncopyable& operator=(const Uncopyable &rhs); }; class Dog :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
5 Replies
which(1)						      General Commands Manual							  which(1)

NAME
which - locate a program file including aliases and paths SYNOPSIS
[name...] DESCRIPTION
For each name given, searches for the file that would be executed if name were given as a command, and displays the absolute path of that file. Each argument is expanded if it is aliased, and searched for along the user's path. Both aliases and path are determined by sourc- ing (executing) the user's file. DIAGNOSTICS
A diagnostic is given for names that are aliased to more than a single word, or if an executable file with the argument name was not found in the path. EXAMPLES
The command: specifies where the executable program of the sh(1) command is found. For example, the response might be: if the sh(1) being used is located in WARNINGS
reports aliases even when not invoked from csh. cannot find built-in commands (e.g., jobs). information may be incorrect because it is unaware of any path or alias changes that have occurred in the current shell session. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
source of aliases and path values which(1)