Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Closing out ports???
Special Forums IP Networking Closing out ports??? Post 29563 by skotapal on Tuesday 8th of October 2002 05:32:01 PM
Old 10-08-2002
my netstat -a | grep LISTEN output is as follows:
tcp 0 0 *:5801 *:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 *:5901 *:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 *:6001 *:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 *:587 *:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 *:smtp *:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 localhost.localdom:8007 *:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 *:www *:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 *Smilieostgres *:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 *:netbios-ssn *:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 *Smilieop2 *:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 *Smilieop3 *:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 *Smilieop3s *:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 *:auth *:* LISTEN
unix 0 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 7218 /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432
unix 0 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 662 /dev/gpmctl
unix 0 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 893 /tmp/.font-unix/fs7100
unix 0 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 406 /dev/log
unix 0 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 300584 /tmp/.X11-unix/X1

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

closing open ports

/* Linux Slackware */ Nmap shows the following ports open on the gateway. 21/tcp ftp 22/tcp ssh 23/tcp telnet 25/tcp smtp 37/tcp time 80/tcp http 113/tcp auth 515/tcp printer 587/tcp submission 1024/tcp kdm 6000/tcp x11 ------------------------------- i would like to close as... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: LowOrderBit
10 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

firewall vs. closing ports

This may be kind of a stupid question, but here goes: Say I'm running a FreeBSD webserver (w/apache). I've managed to close ALL open ports (including SSH/telnet and portmapper), excepting '80' that apache is listening on. A netstat -a shows me nothing open. Discounting DoS/DDoS or holes in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: adam_crosby
7 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Closing a thread

hi, Just wondering if there could be a way to close threads whose creator has got the desired reply. however if someone still wants to give a remark or suggest further on the thread one can still do so. Besides on the control panel there should be some kind of selection criteria to view... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxpenguin
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

closing windows

Ok i know to open a window from a script (mac); open whatever(name of a directory) but i don't how to close it. please some help. thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tártaro
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

Closing the socket

Hi, I have a question on closing the listen socket in server. In the application I am working, the server is continously receiving requests from the client in its master socket to handle each request. There is an option to shutdown the server process. In this case do I need to explicitly close... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naan
1 Replies

6. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Thread Closing

Not sure as to How to close a thread so people understand that the issue was solved and the issue is not just sitting in limbo still waiting for a resolution. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

closing unwanted open ports using scripts

i have a text file i.e file1.txt which shows open ports on particular system. i have another text file i.e file2.txt which shows a list of allowed ports on a system. for eg: file2.txt 22/tcp ssh 23/tcp telnet. can i have a script which would compare these text files ,file1 and file2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anand121
1 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

AllTheWeb closing

It was officially announced that AllTheWeb is closing. Yahoo! no longer supports the function as per april 2011: AlltheWeb.com Before the world turned to google by default, there used to be a plethora of search engines. Most of them gave a headache with the prolific use of colors and animated gifs... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Closing thread

Hi, I guess, users do not have rights to close a thread. Please close thread 'Small automation' as it is resolved. Regards, snjksh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snjksh
1 Replies
SNMPNETSTAT(1)							     Net-SNMP							    SNMPNETSTAT(1)

NAME
snmpnetstat - display networking status and configuration information from a network entity via SNMP SYNOPSIS
snmpnetstat [common options] [-Ca] [-Cn] AGENT snmpnetstat [common options] [-Ci] [-Co] [-Cr] [-Cn] [-Cs] AGENT snmpnetstat [common options] [-Ci] [-Cn] [-CI interface] AGENT [interval] snmpnetstat [common options] [-Ca] [-Cn] [-Cs] [-Cp protocol] AGENT DESCRIPTION
The snmpnetstat command symbolically displays the values of various network-related information retrieved from a remote system using the SNMP protocol. There are a number of output formats, depending on the options for the information presented. The first form of the com- mand displays a list of active sockets. The second form presents the values of other network-related information according to the option selected. Using the third form, with an interval specified, snmpnetstat will continuously display the information regarding packet traffic on the configured network interfaces. The fourth form displays statistics about the named protocol. snmpnetstat will issue GETBULK requests to query for information if at least protocol version v2 is used. AGENT identifies a target SNMP agent, which is instrumented to monitor the given objects. At its simplest, the AGENT specification will consist of a hostname or an IPv4 address. In this situation, the command will attempt communication with the agent, using UDP/IPv4 to port 161 of the given target host. See snmpcmd(1) for a full list of the possible formats for AGENT. OPTIONS
The options have the following meaning: common options Please see snmpcmd(1) for a list of possible values for common options as well as their descriptions. -Ca With the default display, show the state of all sockets; normally sockets used by server processes are not shown. -Ci Show the state of all of the network interfaces. The interface display provides a table of cumulative statistics regarding pack- ets transferred, errors, and collisions. The network addresses of the interface and the maximum transmission unit (``mtu'') are also dis- played. -Co Show an abbreviated interface status, giving octets in place of packets. This is useful when enquiring virtual interfaces (such as Frame-Relay circuits) on a router. -CI interface Show information only about this interface; used with an interval as described below. -Cn Show network addresses as numbers (normally snmpnetstat interprets addresses and attempts to display them symbolically). This option may be used with any of the display formats. -Cp protocol Show statistics about protocol, which is either a well-known name for a protocol or an alias for it. Some protocol names and aliases are listed in the file /etc/protocols. A null response typically means that there are no interesting numbers to report. The pro- gram will complain if protocol is unknown or if there is no statistics routine for it. -Cs Show per-protocol statistics. When used with the -Cr option, show routing statistics instead. -Cr Show the routing tables. When -Cs is also present, show per-protocol routing statistics instead of the routing tables. -CR repeaters For GETBULK requests, repeaters specifies the max-repeaters value to use. When snmpnetstat is invoked with an interval argument, it displays a running count of statistics related to network interfaces. interval is the number of seconds between reporting of statistics. The Active Sockets Display (default) The default display, for active sockets, shows the local and remote addresses, protocol, and the internal state of the protocol. Address formats are of the form ``host.port'' or ``network.port'' if a socket's address specifies a network but no specific host address. When known, the host and network addresses are displayed symbolically according to the data bases /etc/hosts and /etc/networks, respectively. If a symbolic name for an address is unknown, or if the -Cn option is specified, the address is printed numerically, according to the address family. For more information regarding the Internet ``dot format,'' refer to inet(3N). Unspeci- fied, or ``wildcard'', addresses and ports appear as ``*''. The Interface Display The interface display provides a table of cumulative statistics regarding packets transferred, errors, and col- lisions. The net- work addresses of the interface and the maximum transmission unit (``mtu'') are also displayed. The Routing Table Display The routing table display indicates the available routes and their status. Each route consists of a destination host or network and a gateway to use in forwarding pack- ets. The flags field shows the state of the route (``U'' if ``up''), whether the route is to a gateway (``G''), whether the route was created dynamically by a redirect (``D''), and whether the route has been modified by a re- direct (``M''). Direct routes are created for each interface attached to the local host; the gateway field for such entries shows the address of the outgoing inter- face. The interface entry indicates the network interface utilized for the route. The Interface Display with an Interval When snmpnetstat is invoked with an interval argument, it displays a running count of statistics related to network interfaces. This display consists of a column for the primary interface and a column summarizing information for all interfaces. The primary inter- face may be replaced with another interface with the -CI option. The first line of each screen of information contains a summary since the system was last rebooted. Subsequent lines of output show values accumulated over the preceding interval. The Active Sockets Display for a Single Protocol When a protocol is specified with the -Cp option, the information displayed is similar to that in the default display for active sockets, except the display is limited to the given protocol. EXAMPLES
Example of using snmpnetstat to display active sockets (default): % snmpnetstat -v 2c -c public -Ca testhost Active Internet (tcp) Connections (including servers) Proto Local Address Foreign Address (state) tcp *.echo *.* LISTEN tcp *.discard *.* LISTEN tcp *.daytime *.* LISTEN tcp *.chargen *.* LISTEN tcp *.ftp *.* LISTEN tcp *.telnet *.* LISTEN tcp *.smtp *.* LISTEN ... Active Internet (udp) Connections Proto Local Address udp *.echo udp *.discard udp *.daytime udp *.chargen udp *.time ... % snmpnetstat -v 2c -c public -Ci testhost Name Mtu Network Address Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs Queue eri0 1500 10.6.9/24 testhost 170548881 245601 687976 0 0 lo0 8232 127 localhost 7530982 0 7530982 0 0 Example of using snmpnetstat to show statistics about a specific protocol: % snmpnetstat -v 2c -c public -Cp tcp testhost Active Internet (tcp) Connections Proto Local Address Foreign Address (state) tcp *.echo *.* LISTEN tcp *.discard *.* LISTEN tcp *.daytime *.* LISTEN tcp *.chargen *.* LISTEN tcp *.ftp *.* LISTEN tcp *.telnet *.* LISTEN tcp *.smtp *.* LISTEN ... SEE ALSO
snmpcmd(1), iostat(1), vmstat(1), hosts(5), networks(5), protocols(5), services(5). BUGS
The notion of errors is ill-defined. V5.6 20 Jan 2010 SNMPNETSTAT(1)