Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Entry Points Routine
Top Forums Programming Entry Points Routine Post 29449 by S.P.Prasad on Monday 7th of October 2002 08:00:24 AM
Old 10-07-2002
Entry Points Routine

How do we pronounciate bdevsw and cdevsw Kernel resources ?

I presume it as block or charcter device software table. Am I Correct in my assumption ?

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sub routine call

in windows machine... C:\2\test>perl -version This is perl, v5.6.1 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread (with 1 registered patch, see perl -V for more detail) ------------------------------------------ what is the difference b\w subroutine calls: sub_routine_name("-----"); and ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekar sundaram
2 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

Gnuplot question: how to plot 3D points as colored points in map view?

I have a simple gnuplot question. I have a set of points (list of x,y,z values; irregularly spaced, i.e. no grid) that I want to plot. I want the plot to look like this: - points in map view (no 3D view) - color of each point should depend on its z-value. - I want to define my own color scale -... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: karman
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to cp files to dir,using routine?

hi all, I wanted to know how we can copy files to dirs, through a routine and when the file and the dir are specified as parameters for that routine and explicitly called? Eg: suppose i want to copy file1 to /tmp then myproc() { . . } myproc /path/file1 /tmp/ These parameters when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cp files to dir,using routine?

hi all, I wanted to know how we can copy files to dirs, through a routine and when the file and the dir are specified as parameters for that routine and explicitly called? Eg: suppose i want to copy file1 to /tmp then myproc() { . . } myproc /path/file1 /tmp/ These parameters when... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File exists routine

Hello experts, I need some help here.. I've written the following routine to check for existence of files. The routine does the following. It will look for a compressed ( .Z ) file and if it exists, then it will uncompress it, if it is already uncompressed, then it will just diplay a message... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamathg
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk routine help

Hi, I use awk but not as a programming language. Just generally in piplelines to split things out by fields. I am trying to accomplish this one thing that I think a short awk routine would do great for, but can't figure it out. Lets say I have a file that contains database columns. The file... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwellers
25 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Do not find the mistake in a small routine!!!

Have a textfile (regular updated) with informations about datafiles . Each line is describing a datafile. Now I am trying to delete several specific lines in this textfile, which are defined before in a kind of removal list. Can not find the mistake I have done in the script because in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jurgen
5 Replies

8. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Help me, write a bash script to delete parent entry with all their child entry in LDAP UNIX server

Hi All, Please help me and guide me to write a bash/shell script on Linux box to delete parent entry with all their child entries. example: Parent is : ---------- dn: email=yogesh.kumar@wipro.com, o=wipro, o=in child is: ---------- dn: cn: yogesh kumar, email=yogesh.kumar@wipro.com,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chand
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to Parse An Inherited Command/Routine

I am am one of these people that it isn't good enough just to say, "Here, try this...". it is important for me to understand how and why something works (or doesn't work.) All that being said, I am trying to parse out a command that we use that was handed down to me by someone I can no longer... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: he204035
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace multiple "&nbsp;" entry with in <td> tag into single entry using sed?

I have the input file like this. Input file: 12.txt 1) There are one or more than one <tr> tags in same line. 2) Some tr tags may have one <td> or more tna one <td> tags within it. 3) Few <td> tags having "<td> &nbsp; </td>". Few having more than one "&nbsp;" entry in it. <tr> some td... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomasraj87
4 Replies
sys_attrs_io(5) 						File Formats Manual						   sys_attrs_io(5)

NAME
sys_attrs_io - io subsystem attributes DESCRIPTION
This reference page lists and describes attributes for the I/O (io) kernel subsystem. Refer to the sys_attrs(5) reference page for an introduction to the topic of kernel subsystem attributes. Amount of space in megabytes to allocate for the 32-bit scatter-gather DMA window on PCI-based AlphaServers. This parameter is set by the TruCluster software. Default value: 0 (MB) Do not modify the value of this attribute unless instructed to do so by support personnel or by patch kit documentation. Number of entry dispatch points supported by the in-memory table for the bdev (block device driver) switch. This table is used to access block device drivers, and must be large enough to accommodate the drivers registered in the bdevsw table in the /usr/sys/sys- tem_name /conf.c file, plus any additional device drivers that will be dynamically loaded. Default value: 200 Minimum value: 0 Maximum value: INT_MAX If the number of third-party block device drivers that will be dynamically loaded to the system plus the number of block device drivers already registered in the system_name /conf.c file exceeds 200, you may want to increase the value of bdevsw_size. A query-only attribute that specifies the media from which the system was booted. Number of buffers either added to or removed from the buffer pool free list. Buffers are allocated as they are needed in order to handle immediate demands; however, they are deallocated carefully to prevent spikes. Default value: 50 buffers Do not modify the default setting for this attribute unless instructed to do so by support personnel or by patch kit instructions. A threshold value that determines when more buffers are allocated from the kernel. More buffers are allocated from the kernel when the number of buffers in the pool free list falls below this value. CAM reserves the number of buffers specified by the cam_ccb_low_water attribute to ensure that the kernel always has enough memory to shut down runaway processes. Default value: 100 (buffers) Do not modify the default setting for this attribute unless instructed to do so by support personnel or by patch kit instructions. The base number of Common Access Method (CAM) control blocks (ccbs) allocated to the buffer pool free list. One ccb is needed for each outstanding I/O request. The system will automatically increase the number of ccbs, as necessary for the I/O load, but will not decrease allocation of ccbs below cam_ccb_pool_size. Default value: 200 (ccbs) Minimum value: 100 Maximum value: 1000 If the I/O load on your system is consistently very high, increasing the number of ccbs that are always available in memory (rather than starting with a lower number and letting the system dynamically increase it when necessary) may improve performance. However, by increasing cam_ccb_pool_size, you prevent the system from using the additional memory for other purposes at times when the number of I/O requests is lower than the number of ccbs. Any performance improvement that results from a cam_ccb_pool_size increase can occur only if your system's memory size is large enough to support the dedication of additional memory resources to I/O. Decreasing cam_ccb_pool_size to a value below the default is very likely to cause I/O problems and is strongly discouraged. Number of entry dispatch points supported by the in-memory table for the cdev (character device driver) switch. This table is used to access character device drivers, and must be large enough to accommodate the drivers registered in the cdevsw table in the /usr/sys/system_name /conf.c file, plus any additional character device drivers that will be dynamically loaded. Default value: 200 (entry dispatch points) Minimum value: 0 Maximum value: INT_MAX If the number of third-party character device drivers that will be dynamically loaded to the system plus the number of character device drivers already registered in the system_name /conf.c file exceeds 200, you may want to increase the value of cdevsw_size. An on/off switch for internal use only. Do not modify this attribute unless instructed to do so by support personnel or by patch kit instructions. An on/off switch for internal use only. Do not modify this attribute unless instructed to do so by support personnel or by patch kit instructions. An on/off switch for internal use only. Do not modify this attribute unless instructed to do so by support personnel or by patch kit instructions. A value used by developers when debugging subsystem source code. Do not modify the default value of this attribute unless instructed to do so by support personnel or by patch kit documentation. Amount of space in megabytes to allocate for the 64-bit scatter-gather DMA window on PCI-based AlphaServers. Default value: 0 (MB) Do not modify this attribute unless instructed to do so by support personnel or by patch kit documentation. A value that controls the zeroing of scatter-gather mapping entries in the PCI adapter on AS8x00 Alphaservers. Default value: 2 Do not modify this attribute unless instructed to do so by support personnel or by patch kit documentation. A value used by developers for debugging subsystem source code. Do not modify this attribute unless instructed to do so by support personnel or by patch kit documentation. The size, in bytes, of an I/O read request used by nondriver kernel code if an ioctl() call fails or returns 0 (zero). (When non- driver kernel code needs to know the maximum size of an I/O read request for a block-I/O device, it issues an ioctl call to the driver.) Default value: 65,536 (bytes) Change the default value of this attribute only if a third-party device driver does not use the ioctl call and has a maximum size that is less than the default value (65536 bytes, or 64 kilobytes) in the sysconfigtab file . (The person writing the third-party device driver must provide information, either in documentation or an installation script, on how to change the entry in the syscon- figtab file to the correct value.) The size, in bytes, of an I/O write request used by nondriver kernel code if an ioctl() call fails or returns 0 (zero). (When non- driver kernel code needs to know the maximum size of an I/O write request for a block-I/O device, it issues an ioctl() call to the driver.) Default value: 65,536 (bytes) Change the default value of this attribute only if a third-party device driver does not use the ioctl call and has a maximum size that is less than the default value (64 KB) in the sysconfigtab file. (The person writing the third-party device driver must pro- vide information, either in documentation or an installation script, on how to change the entry in the sysconfigtab file to the cor- rect value.) Default value: 0 Do not modify the default setting of this attribute unless instructed to do so by support personnel or by patch kit documentation. Maximum number of NPort I/Os. This attribute is visible only if the Emulex Fibre Channel Host Adapter is installed on the system. Refer to the emx(7) reference page for information on setting this attribute. Default value: 256. To turn I/O limiting off, set the value of NPort_Max_IOs to equal 0xFFFFFFFF. Do not attempt to set the value of NPort_Max_IOs to less than the value of NPort_Min_IOs. Minumum number of NPort I/Os. This attribute is visible only if the Emulex Fibre Channel Host Adapter is installed on the system. Refer to the emx(7) reference page for information on setting this attribute. Default value: 20. The value of NPort_Min_IOs must always be less than the value of NPort_Max_IOs. The NPort I/O ramp time delay in seconds. This attribute is visible only if the Emulex Fibre Channel Host Adapter is installed on the system. Refer to the emx(7) reference page for information on setting this attribute. Default value: 1. The NPort I/O ramp percentage (integer). This attribute is visible only if the Emulex Fibre Channel Host Adapter is installed on the system. Refer to the emx(7) reference page for information on setting this attribute. Default value: 10 A query-only attribute used for subsystem debugging. A query-only attribute used for subsystem debugging. An attribute used only internally. Do not modify the default setting of this attribute unless instructed to do so by support personnel or by patch kit documentation. SEE ALSO
sys_attrs(5) sys_attrs_io(5)