Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: .rhosts and rsh command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers .rhosts and rsh command Post 29054 by ganti on Saturday 28th of September 2002 11:15:58 AM
Old 09-28-2002
Please check the /etc/inetd.conf

All the ftpd,rshd,telnetd entries are made in that file

This entry should be there in the HOST machine

Most probably the rshd portion is commented..

Some SYSADMINS won't allow rshd for security reasons

If you can change that file remove the comment portion

Cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rsh command

Newbie here, I want to add a line to our 3D rendering scripts that will send an email to the animators once a scene has finished rendering. The 3D scripts are on the client hosts and the sendmail setup on the server. I tried using a rsh line in the script as follows rsh root@blah echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: flamethrower
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsh command

Hi, I'm performing a data migration from an Ingres db to an Oracle db. The ingres database lives on a unix host running "UNIX(r) System V Release 4.0 (SunOS 5.5.1) ", while the Oracle database lives on another unix host running "SunOS 5.8". Part of the migration is to remotely run Oracle's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: strpeski
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

RSH command

Hello, I am trying to determine 2 things on a remote host. 1. Is file a directory or file 2. Does the file or directory exist Not too familiar with "find" command although I believe that may be a possible way. I have tried: remsh "$HOST" test -e /home/test.script && echo "yes" This... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bestbuyernc
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

rhosts file...

Hi all, Thanks for reading and any susequente posts.... ... I am running a RedHat Ent 3 server. Anyhow I have to do an rlogin to install some software on the box. The problem is that the solaris box I am trying to do the install from carn't get an rlogin. I have tested this with other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: B14speedfreak
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsh command

Hi, I am a beginner and i want to seek help I want to use the rsh command. Is there a possibility that i can do it without the system password I am planning to make a csh script that could browse/copy files from diferent workstations. thank you.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wramonzon
5 Replies

6. Linux

rsh command

we want to execute remote script via rsh (we just only should use rsh except others),but rsh command can not set environment variable for specify user, then scripts can not be executed correctly,anyone knows how to fix this problem? thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank2004
8 Replies

7. Solaris

Problems with rsh command

Hello guys, I have a script in a Linux server, from where I go to 3 Sun servers and run process. Now i have done an upgrade and increase 1 Sun server more, now i need to run the shell in the Linux Server (into the shell is rsh command), but when i try to do ir with the new Sun server, i hace the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lestat_ecuador
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh command

Hi Does anybody know how to to return the exit code of a remote command when using rsh? I know that "rsh" has no built-in ability for that. The echo $? is showing the results of the rsh command. Not the remotely executed command. I am trying to get the return code of psef command from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh command - ksh

Hello, I am trying to run a remote file (y.ksh) using rsh. In this action i want to use an environment variable TOOL=/home/macc1 i am running the rsh from profile macc on server1. rsh server2 -l macc1 "$TOOL/y.ksh" but i can see that the executable command = /home/macc/y.ksh and not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
1 Replies

10. Solaris

After reboot the .rhosts file in nobody nobody

Hi All, I have a station in solaris 10 in a environnemet NIS. after reboot of the station the file ". rhosts" has the UID / GID nobody. Could you please help me to find the solution? Thx. Vince (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vince78
0 Replies
rshd(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   rshd(8)

NAME
rshd - The remote shell server SYNOPSIS
rshd [-aeln] FLAGS
The addresses for the hostname are requested, verifying that the name and address correspond. Causes rshd to check for the /etc/nolo- gin_{hostname} and /etc/nologin files. If either exists, rshd prints its contents and exits. Prevents the ruserok command from doing any validation based on the user's .rhosts file, unless the user is the superuser. Disables transport-level, keep-alive messages. SECURITY NOTE
This security-sensitive command uses the SIA (Security Integration Architecture) routine as an interface to the security mechanisms. See the matrix.conf(4) reference page for more information. DESCRIPTION
The rshd daemon is the server for the rcmd(3) routine and, consequently, for the rsh(1) program. The server provides remote execution facilities with authentication based on privileged port numbers from trusted hosts. The rshd daemon listens for service requests at the port indicated in the cmd service specification; see services(4). When a service request is received, the following protocol is initiated: The server checks the client's source port. If the port is not in the range 512 to 1023, the server aborts the connection. The server reads bytes from the socket up to a null (`') byte. The resultant string is interpreted as an ASCII number, base 10. If the number received in step 2 is nonzero, it is interpreted as the port number of a secondary stream to be used for the stderr option. A second connection is then created to the specified port on the client's machine. The source port of this second connection is also in the range 512 to 1023. The server checks the client's source address and requests the corre- sponding hostname (see gethostbyaddr(3), hosts(4), and named(8)). If the hostname cannot be determined, the dot-notation representation of the host address is used. If the hostname is in the same domain as the server (according to the last two components of the domain name), or if the -a flag is given, the addresses for the hostname are requested, verifying that the name and address correspond. If address veri- fication fails, the connection is aborted with the message Host address mismatch. A null-terminated username of at most 16 bytes is retrieved on the initial socket. This username is interpreted as the user identity on the client 's machine. A null-terminated username of at most 16 bytes is retrieved on the initial socket. This username is interpreted as a user identity to use on the server's machine. A null-terminated command to be passed to a shell is retrieved on the initial socket. The length of the command is limited by the upper bound on the size of the system's argument list. The rshd daemon then validates the user using ruserok(3), which uses the file /etc/hosts.equiv and the .rhosts file found in the user's home directory. The -l flag prevents ruserok(3) from doing any validation based on the user's .rhosts file, unless the user is the superuser. If rshd was started with the -e flag, the user is not the superuser, and either the /etc/nologin_{hostname} or /etc/nologin file exists, rshd prints the contents of the first file found and aborts the connection. If the file has a zero length, rshd prints a "logins disabled" message. A null byte is returned on the initial socket and the command line is passed to the normal login shell of the user. The shell inherits the network connections established by rshd. Transport-level, keep-alive messages are enabled unless the -n flag is present. The use of keep-alive messages allows sessions to be timed out if the client crashes or becomes unreachable. CAUTIONS
The authentication procedure used here assumes the integrity of each client machine and the connecting medium. This is insecure, but is useful in an open environment. DIAGNOSTICS
Except for the last diagnostic message listed, all diagnostic messages are returned on the initial socket, after which any network connec- tions are closed. An error is indicated by a leading byte with a value of 1 (0 is returned in step 9 above upon successful completion of all the steps prior to the execution of the login shell). The name of the user on the client's machine is longer than 16 characters. The name of the user on the remote machine is longer than 16 characters. The command line passed exceeds the size of the argument list (as configured into the system). No password file entry for the username existed. The server is currently not accepting connections. The chdir command to the home directory failed. The authentication procedure previously described failed. The pipe needed for the stderr option, but it was not created. A fork by the server failed. The user's login shell could not be started. This message is returned on the connection associated with the stderr option, and is not preceded by a flag byte. FILES
Specifies the command path Stops logins. In a cluster, there is also /etc/nologin_{hostname}. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: rsh(1) Functions: rcmd(3), ruserok(3) delim off rshd(8)