Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: `ps` command truncating text
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers `ps` command truncating text Post 29013 by keelba on Friday 27th of September 2002 12:37:34 PM
Old 09-27-2002
`ps` command truncating text

I have some processes that show a long file path as part of the process name and the process name gets truncated off.

Does anyone know how to get the full output from the `ps`command so that I can see the whole process name?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Truncating a number using sed/awk

Hi all, I'm trying to truncate a number like the following: 0001060407013900501048239559900600504083525826350002050354795057 I would like to create an output which puts carriage returns every so many characters, giving an output such as: 0001 060407 0139 0 05 010482395599 0060... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaeltravisuk
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncating a variable

I have a variable that is a full path name and I just want the file name with out the extension. I have figured out how to do this using some temp files but I would really like to avoid that if possible. I know I can do echo ${TMPNAME%.*} to drop the extension is there a similar way to drop... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whdr02
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Truncating the last character

Hi all , I am creating the file which holds the create query to run in the sql prompt: so when i am creating: create table XXX( SD Varchar2(10), DF Varchar2(10),) I am getting one comma at the last ,before i am inserting the closing bracket i need to delete that? kindly provide me the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ithirak17
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Truncating file based on date

Hi, I need to truncate a file based on date.Suppose i have a log file which is getting updated every date,i need to keep 7 days worth of data(like sysdate-7) and rest i want to truncate it.Can some help me? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Param0073
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncating a mail file

Hi, I have a Unix mail file that I need to truncate, based on the date of the messages. For those not familiar with the format, it is a single file for each user, with the first line of the mail message looking like the following: From user@sitename.com Thu Apr 21 05:40:33 2011 Each... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joed
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

plink truncating commands

I'm using plink.exe on WinXP to run some commands on Z/OS BASH. My commands are interspersed with echo commands so that I can parse the output and work out what is where. The first hundred or so commands run fine, but then one of them gets truncated. For example: Input: echo :end_logdetail:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PhilHibbs
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk is truncating output

Legends, I have 2 files f1 and f2. when i use nawk to compare the difference(subtraction) from 4th column of the file, it truncates the output. can you please help to resolve this. subtraction is (4th col of f1 - 4th col of f2). but it gives only below lines out of 116. I want to print all... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk truncating first field output?

Hello, I'm writing an Awk script to take a command line argument (student's name) and output their relevant student#, name, and marks. For some reason, awk arbitrarily removes the first digit from the student number and doesn't show me the proper output. Here is my code: #! /usr/bin/awk -f... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: trashmouth12
6 Replies

9. Solaris

How to avoid truncating in ps output ?

Hello, This is Solaris 10 (x86) bash-3.2# cat /etc/release Solaris 10 5/09 s10x_u7wos_08 X86 Copyright 2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Use is subject to license terms. Assembled 30 March... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sendmail command truncating to list

Hey Folks - I'm trying to pass a list of To address using sendmail command but upon executing the script the to list gets truncated and not able to send the last sender : -bash-4.3$ ./akt.sh Date : 03-JUL-18 aaaaa.sss#bgttecre.bom trcikant.shrivas#bgttecre.bom abc#xyz.bom pqr#lmn.bom lion... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vyomdev
0 Replies
FOOTPRINT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					      FOOTPRINT(1)

NAME
footprint -- gathers memory information about one or more processes SYNOPSIS
footprint [-j path] [-f bytes|formatted|pages] [-p name|pid] [-x name|pid] [-t] [-s] [-v] [-y] [-w] [--swapped] [--wired] [-a] process-name | pid | memgraph [...] footprint -h, --help DESCRIPTION
The footprint utility gathers and displays memory consumption information for the specified processes or memory graph files. footprint will display all addressable memory used by the specified processes, but it emphasizes memory considered 'dirty' by the kernel for purposes of accounting. If multiple processes are specified, footprint will de-duplicate multiply mapped objects and will display shared objects separately from private ones. footprint must be run as root when inspecting processes that are not owned by the current user. OPTIONS
-a, --all target all processes (will take much longer) -j, --json path also save a JSON representation of the data to the specified path -f, --format bytes|formatted|pages textual output should be formatted in bytes, pages, or human-readable formatted (default) -p, --proc name target the given process by name (can be used multiple times) -p, --pid pid target the given process by pid (can be used multiple times) -x, --exclude name/pid exclude the given process by name or pid (can be used multiple times) often used with --all to exclude some processes from analysis -t, --targetChildren in addition to the supplied processes, target their children, grandchildren, etc. -s, --skip skip processes that are dirty tracked and have no outstanding XPC transactions (i.e., are "clean") -v display vmmap-like output of address space layout -y, --summary print only regions with dirty memory, and condense __TEXT, __DATA, and __LINKEDIT regions into 'Other' subtotal -w, --wide show wide output with all columns (implies --swapped --wired) --swapped show swapped/compressed column, a subset of 'dirty' --wired show wired memory column, a subset of 'dirty' -h, --help display help and exit SAMPLE USAGE
footprint Mail WindowServer OS X
January 29, 2018 OS X