Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking DNS Help - Been trying to do this for months Post 28990 by saabir on Friday 27th of September 2002 05:55:33 AM
Old 09-27-2002
What version of BIND are you running?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Comparing two months

Hi all, Using shell script and awk statements, I manage to get the month and year of the Patch Bundle installed on the system. Now I have to compare month and year of Patch Bundle installed to the Patch Bundle which is desired on the workstation. I am able to do easily comparison of year but not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankschawla
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

some months ego

Hi, how can I format date function to find n (n=1 to 11) months ego ? For exemple now we are in july and I want to have a variable presenting april. How should it be : month=`date +%b`????? Many thanks before. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculate 13 months ago

hi, I have a big file that contains datas since 4 years ago. I need re-create this file but just lines that are 13 months ago from today. see what I have: ( I have a file.ksh that calls this file.scl ok !!) ======== file.scl ================ /STATISTICS=stderr /STABLE /NODUPLICATES... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrea_mussap
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculate 13 months ago

hi, I have a big file that contains datas since 4 years ago. I need re-create this file but just lines that are 13 months ago from today. see what I have: ( I have a file.ksh that calls this file.scl ok !!) ======== file.scl ================ /STATISTICS=stderr /STABLE /NODUPLICATES... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrea_mussap
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris DNS Client For Microsoft DNS Server

hey guys, how to add soalris box as a microsoft DNS Client ? and how to register in the microsoft DNS ?? i managed to query from the DNS server after adding /etc/resolve.conf and editing /etc/nsswitch.conf but i need to register the soalris server (dns Client) into Microsoft DNS automatically.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mduweik
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

DNS A-Record point to another DNS

Hi, I have a question on how to point the DNS server-1's A-record to second DNS server, which is DNS server-2. So, the computer can access other domain which only listed in the DNS server-2. The scenario is as follow: http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6333/12234.png How to configure this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paris Heng
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

DHCP & DNS - Clients get IP but don't register in DNS

I am trying to setup a CentOS 6.2 server that will be doing 3 things DHCP, DNS & Samba for a very small office (2 users). The idea being this will replace a very old Win2k server. The users are all windows based clients so only the server will be Linux based. I've installed CentOS 6.2 with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FireBIade
4 Replies

9. Solaris

DNS client added to DNS server but not working

Hi, We have built a new server (RHEL VM)and added that IP/hostname into dns zone configs file on DNS server (Solaris 10). Reloaded the configuration using and added nameserver into resolv.conf on client. But when I am trying nslookup, its not getting resolved. The nameserver is not able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
8 Replies
named-xfer(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     named-xfer(8)

Name
       named-xfer - pull BIND/Hesiod zones from another server

Syntax
       /usr/etc/named-xfer -z zone_to_transfer -f db_file -s serial_no [ -d debug_level ] [ -l debug_log_file ] [ -t trace_file ] [ -p port ] [ -n
       ] [ -a auth_type.auth_ver ] servers...

Description
       The transfer daemon, is a server that is usually run by the daemon, but it can also be run manually with the given arguments.  The transfer
       daemon  runs  on  a BIND/Hesiod secondary server and pulls BIND/Hesiod zones from a primary server.  This daemon is not run by default, nor
       can it be started up from

Options
       -z zone_to_transfer
			  This option is required to pull a zone.  The zone_to_transfer argument specifies the name of the BIND/Hesiod	zone  that
			  the daemon will transfer, for example, dec.com.

-f db_file	  This option is  required to pull a zone.  The db_file argument specifies the name of the file into which the pulled zone
			  information is placed.

-s serial_no	  This option is required to pull a zone.  The serial_no argument should be set to the current serial number  of  the  SOA
			  record for the zone zone_to_transfer.  If serial_no is set to 0, the zone is always pulled.

-d debug_level	  The debug_level argument sets the debug level and determines the amount of debug information to be displayed.

-l debug_log_file  The debug_log_file argument specifies the file that will contain any debug messages from the zone pull.

-t trace_file	  The trace_file argument specifies the file that will contain a trace from the zone pull.

-p port		  The port argument specifies the port that will be used instead of the default nameserver port listed in

-n		  This	option	must be used when the daemon is running in the network safe mode.  It indicates that the zone pull must be
			  authenticated.

-a  auth_type.auth_ver
			  This option must be used if the daemon is running in the network safe mode.  The auth_type argument indicates what  type
			  of authentication to use and the auth_ver argument indicates what version of the authentication type to use.	Currently,
			  the auth_type must be "kerberos" and the auth_ver must be "one".

servers...	  The servers argument is a list of Internet addresses from which to pull a zone.  If the first host cannot be	ddreached,
			  the transfer daemon will try to pull the zone from the next host listed.

See Also
       services(5), named(8), kerberos(8krb)
       Guide to the BIND/Hesiod Service
       Guide to Kerberos

named-xfer(8)