Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Appending columns on a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Appending columns on a file Post 28860 by abel on Wednesday 25th of September 2002 01:17:03 PM
Old 09-25-2002
Question Appending columns on a file

My issue is the following:

I have several text files, let's say 10 of them. Each one has three columns separated by a tab: Date, Time and Value. What I want to do next is to have only one text file containing the information: Date, Time, Value1, Value2, Value3, ... , Value10, where Value1 corresponds to column Value of the first text file, Value2 corresponds to column Value of the second text file and so on.

Could anybody give some clues or tell me how could I do what I want?

Thank you very much. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending the last few columns to the front

Hi consider this as the first line 00010015 MORGAN STANLEY & CO INCORPORATED N 110 INVESTAR 1 0001OT NJ 201-830-5055 01-Jan-1974 00:00:00 1 01-May-2008 00:00:00 05-Jun-2008 13:34:18 0001 - From SMSRun1_GIDQA02 Consider this as the second line 00010015 MORGAN STANLEY... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending several columns with awk and paste

Hello, I am trying to solve for a couple of hours now the following problem: I have n files and would like to add the third column of each file to a new file: temp1.txt 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 temp2.txt 1 2 4 1 2 4 1 2 4 1 2 4 temp3.txt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: creamcheese
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending columns of two files using shell script

Hi, I am using ksh, I want to read one csv file and append the columns of another file with new column. My input file: col1,col2 --------- siri,886 satya,890 priya,850 Another file with the below date:(test.csv) col3 ----- 321 333 442 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siri_886
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing columns from a text file that do not have any values in second and third columns

I have a text file that has three columns. But at the end of the text file, there are trailing lines that have missing second and third columns: 4 0.04972604 KLHL28 4 0.0497332 CSTB 4 0.04979822 AIF1 4 0.04983331 DECR2 4 0.04990344 KATNB1 4 4 4 4 How can I remove the trailing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help in Deleting columns and Renaming Mutliple columns in a .Csv File

Hi All, i have a .Csv file in the below format startTime, endTime, delta, gName, rName, rNumber, m2239max, m2239min, m2239avg, m100016509avg, m100019240max, metric3min, m100019240avg, propValues 11-Mar-2012 00:00:00, 11-Mar-2012 00:05:00, 300.0, vma3550a, a-1_CPU Index<1>, 200237463, 0.0,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahi_mayu069
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending columns at the end of output using awk/sed

Hi , I have the below ouput, =====gopi===== assasassaa adsadsadsdsada asdsadsadasdsa sadasdsadsd =====kannan=== asdasdasd sadasddsaasd adasdd =====hbk=== asasasssa .... .. I want the output like as below, not able paste here correctly. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeegopikannan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all the fields(columns) from a .csv file if all rows in that columns are blanks

Hi Friends, I have come across some files where some of the columns don not have data. Key, Data1,Data2,Data3,Data4,Data5 A,5,6,,10,, A,3,4,,3,, B,1,,4,5,, B,2,,3,4,, If we see the above data on Data5 column do not have any row got filled. So remove only that column(Here Data5) and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to format output in columns by appending multi lines one by one?

Hi, I need to display output in below format Customer : Apr 24 16:31 Customer_Name_111121.txt |---Space---|Apr 24 16:32 Customer_Name _111121. txt |---Space---|Apr 24 16:34 Customer_Name_111112. txt |---Space---|Apr 24 16:35 Customer_Name _222223. txt |---Space---|Apr 24 16:37... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending different columns of multiple files in awk

Hello All, I have three input files cat file1 col1|col2|col3 a|1|A b|2|B cat file2 col1|col2|col3 c|3|C cat file3 col1|col2|col3 d|4|D e|5|E i want below output file4 col1|col2 a|1 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: looney
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Delimiter appending in a data file if we receive a less columns than expected

Required No.of field = 12 Let say you got a “~” delimited input file and this file has 6 input fields and now I want to add 12-5=7 number of “~” into this input file in order to make it 12 fields datafile can have n number of records ex., a~b~c~d~12~r a~b~c~d~12~r a~b~c~d~12~r... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: LJJ
19 Replies
PR(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     PR(1)

NAME
pr -- print files SYNOPSIS
pr [+page] [-column] [-adFfmprt] [[-e] [char] [gap]] [-L locale] [-h header] [[-i] [char] [gap]] [-l lines] [-o offset] [[-s] [char]] [[-n] [char] [width]] [-w width] [-] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The pr utility is a printing and pagination filter for text files. When multiple input files are specified, each is read, formatted, and written to standard output. By default, the input is separated into 66-line pages, each with o A 5-line header with the page number, date, time, and the pathname of the file. o A 5-line trailer consisting of blank lines. If standard output is associated with a terminal, diagnostic messages are suppressed until the pr utility has completed processing. When multiple column output is specified, text columns are of equal width. By default text columns are separated by at least one <blank>. Input lines that do not fit into a text column are truncated. Lines are not truncated under single column output. OPTIONS
In the following option descriptions, column, lines, offset, page, and width are positive decimal integers and gap is a nonnegative decimal integer. +page Begin output at page number page of the formatted input. -column Produce output that is columns wide (default is 1) that is written vertically down each column in the order in which the text is received from the input file. The options -e and -i are assumed. This option should not be used with -m. When used with -t, the min- imum number of lines is used to display the output. (To columnify and reshape text files more generally and without additional format- ting, see the rs(1) utility.) -a Modify the effect of the -column option so that the columns are filled across the page in a round-robin order (e.g., when column is 2, the first input line heads column 1, the second heads column 2, the third is the second line in column 1, etc.). This option requires the use of the -column option. -d Produce output that is double spaced. An extra <newline> character is output following every <newline> found in the input. -e [char][gap] Expand each input <tab> to the next greater column position specified by the formula n*gap+1, where n is an integer > 0. If gap is zero or is omitted the default is 8. All <tab> characters in the input are expanded into the appropriate number of <space>s. If any nondigit character, char, is specified, it is used as the input tab character. -F Use a <form-feed> character for new pages, instead of the default behavior that uses a sequence of <newline> characters. -f Same as -F but pause before beginning the first page if standard output is a terminal. -h header Use the string header to replace the file name in the header line. -i [char][gap] In output, replace multiple <space>s with <tab>s whenever two or more adjacent <space>s reach column positions gap+1, 2*gap+1, etc. If gap is zero or omitted, default <tab> settings at every eighth column position is used. If any nondigit character, char, is specified, it is used as the output <tab> character. -L locale Use locale specified as argument instead of one found in environment. Use "C" to reset locale to default. -l lines Override the 66 line default and reset the page length to lines. If lines is not greater than the sum of both the header and trailer depths (in lines), the pr utility suppresses output of both the header and trailer, as if the -t option were in effect. -m Merge the contents of multiple files. One line from each file specified by a file operand is written side by side into text columns of equal fixed widths, in terms of the number of column positions. The number of text columns depends on the number of file operands suc- cessfully opened. The maximum number of files merged depends on page width and the per process open file limit. The options -e and -i are assumed. -n [char][width] Provide width digit line numbering. The default for width, if not specified, is 5. The number occupies the first width column posi- tions of each text column or each line of -m output. If char (any nondigit character) is given, it is appended to the line number to separate it from whatever follows. The default for char is a <tab>. Line numbers longer than width columns are truncated. -o offset Each line of output is preceded by offset <spaces>s. If the -o option is not specified, the default is zero. The space taken is in addition to the output line width. -p Pause before each page if the standard output is a terminal. pr will write an alert character to standard error and wait for a car- riage return to be read on the terminal. -r Write no diagnostic reports on failure to open a file. -s char Separate text columns by the single character char instead of by the appropriate number of <space>s (default for char is the <tab> character). -t Print neither the five-line identifying header nor the five-line trailer usually supplied for each page. Quit printing after the last line of each file without spacing to the end of the page. -w width Set the width of the line to width column positions for multiple text-column output only. If the -w option is not specified and the -s option is not specified, the default width is 72. If the -w option is not specified and the -s option is specified, the default width is 512. file A pathname of a file to be printed. If no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is '-', the standard input is used. The standard input is used only if no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is '-'. The -s option does not allow the option letter to be separated from its argument, and the options -e, -i, and -n require that both arguments, if present, not be separated from the option letter. EXIT STATUS
The pr utility exits 0 on success, and 1 if an error occurs. DIAGNOSTICS
If pr receives an interrupt while printing to a terminal, it flushes all accumulated error messages to the screen before terminating. Error messages are written to standard error during the printing process (if output is redirected) or after all successful file printing is complete (when printing to a terminal). LEGACY DESCRIPTION
The last space before the tab stop is replaced with a tab character. In legacy mode, it is not. For more information about legacy mode, see compat(5). SEE ALSO
cat(1), more(1), rs(1), compat(5) STANDARDS
The pr utility is IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') compatible. HISTORY
A pr command appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
The pr utility does not recognize multibyte characters. BSD
July 3, 2004 BSD