Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting using tab to finish command line parameter Post 28607 by hassan2 on Friday 20th of September 2002 03:23:02 PM
Old 09-20-2002
you need to be korn shell environment.

To be in korn shell environment issue
ksh

then set vi by issue

set -o vi

Now you should be able to use the ESC key followed by - key
to display the previous type word or use could use ESC key followed by k key

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Line width parameter

can someone please tell me how i can increase the number of characters that can be input on the command line? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scoogie
2 Replies

2. Programming

Command line parameter for C program

I am writing a C program that part of the idea is to using a command line parameter to control not to run certain part of the sub program. I am totally new to C, I do not have any idea how to pass a command line arguments from a C program. Can anyone help ?! Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wing m. Cheng
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

insert pipe in the finish of the line

hi, i have a flat file, with lines (records), and fields, and each field is separated by pipe ( | ) : 1|078|012006|3,9 2|078|012006|8692275|4|2|GON3507090 2|078|012006|7655734|9|0|GON3507090 2|078|012006|7572405|5|4|GCR5N07090 what i need is to insert a pipe in the end of the line:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing a string in a file with command line parameter

Hello, I am trying to replace a string with a paramter given along with the script. I am replacing application1 to application2 with the script: ./change_app.sh application2 change_app.sh: #!/bin/ksh grep $1 applications.dat 2>&1 >/dev/null echo $1 file=pckage.new sed 's/Name:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using the counter of a for loop in command line parameter

Say I have (in psuedocode) For i=1 to 10 tar cvfb /... 5*i /junk(i) end What I mean is that I want each successive for loop to have the block size parameter be 5 times the current counter. This isn't my actual code, just a stupid example...So the question is how do I descrive that parameter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeriryan87
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare a command line parameter with -- in shell scripting

Hi, I need to check if a parameter provided at the command line is equal to --.How can i do that ? Please help me. Thanks and Regards, Padmini (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: padmisri
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the last command line parameter?

"$#" gives the number of command-line arguments. How do you get the last command-line parameter (or any particular one determined by a variable)? I thought it would be "${$#}", but that produces something completely unexpected. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkarr
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a command line parameter in script

I have a simple script that builds a complex program call which passes a number of parameters to the program. I'm trying to enhance the script to include the value of the command line parameter in the name of a file being created. The problem I'm having is that the parameter may include a forward... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbmax626
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script - command line parameter

i am a beginner, i want to make a program that takes any command line arguments... and print it out in reverse. ie. if the command line argument is "thanks for helping me" i want it to output "me helping for thanks" :D i have tried using the reverse command, but i cant get it working!! ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bshell_1214
3 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Passing date parameter on Kshell command line

I need to execute a .ksh from command line. The ksh calls a control file and has 3 parameters. First parameter is a csv file, second the target table in oracle and third parameter is a date parameter. I am attempting the below from the ksh command line {code} => testfile.ksh filname.csv... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kobe24
1 Replies