Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: small question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting small question Post 28522 by oombera on Thursday 19th of September 2002 02:24:28 PM
Old 09-19-2002
I didn't post it because it's the same as what janr posted with a couple additions:
Code:
vflag=off
filename=
while getopts vf: opt
do
case "$opt" in
v) vflag=on
echo 'vflag is on';;
f) filename="$OPTARG"
head -n 2 $filename;;
\?) # unknown flag
echo >&2 \
"usage: $0 [-v] [-f filename] [file ...]"
exit 1;;
esac
done
echo $OPTIND
shift `expr $OPTIND - 1`

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

small question of echo | grep command

Hi, i've got the following: a=`echo $b | grep '^.*/'` i'm storing in the variable the value of the variable b only if it has a / somewhere. It works, but i don't want to print the value. How do i give the value of b to the grep command without the echo? thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kfad
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

small question regarding substr()

Hello.. I am doing some awk-ing and among all I use substr inside it.. I have: ....substr($0,60,37) meaning as U all know take from 37 char. from point 60.. can I put it like this substr($0,60,end of line) meaning take it from point 60 and take all characketrs in that line until line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

A small minix question

First af all hi. i want to create a batch script which inform when users log in last time on system or if they are online when they logged in. I want ot use a file .users which has the usernames of users. i want to print for example peter is ONLINE: Logged in on Wed Feb 11 07:47 alex... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasa
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Small question regarding SSH

I am looking for some model like this: My Computer ------------- Intermediate Server (IS) ------------- Own Server I must be able to ssh into the Intermediate Internet Server which is generally an online version of SSH service through which I will connect to Own Server. I was the IS to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
2 Replies

5. Programming

A small question about file descriptor

Can any body tell me when I put close(2), why the code does not show any out put? #include <stdio.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include <errno.h> int main(){ int fd1,fd2,fd3,fd4; close(2); fd1=open("test1.txt",O_WRONLY |O_CREAT | O_TRUNC,0744); fprintf(stderr,"fd1 = %d\n",fd1); ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlhazan
5 Replies

6. Programming

A small question about fork()

Hello experts, I am using fork() in my code but I am confused which output comes first child or parent? I did the following code .My book shows parent first but my linux shows child first.Can anyone tell me why? #include <stdio.h> int main(){ int pid; printf("I am original process with pid... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlhazan
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need small help

Hi all, I have two files in my folder 1.index.jsp 2.maintenance.jsp Once hit the URL in IE,It will call the index.jsp file than application working fine. I want to some maintenance in my application, during the application maintenance than it will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lkeswar
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a small help

Hi, sorry for inconvenience..wrong query posted. Thanks for your help. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kirankumar
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Small fast question

just to confirm du from sh show sizes as multiples of 512 byte right? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1097
4 Replies

10. Programming

Ok i have a small assembly question

I have this small program that runs with the flat assembler. My problem is that at the receive line function it receives the line and if there isn't a $ typed at the end of the user input the program displays a lot of strange stuff, sometimes beeps and then it seems to terminate without causing any... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Errigour
13 Replies
getoptcvt(1)                                                       User Commands                                                      getoptcvt(1)

NAME
getoptcvt - convert to getopts to parse command options SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/getoptcvt [-b] filename /usr/lib/getoptcvt DESCRIPTION
/usr/lib/getoptcvt reads the shell script in filename, converts it to use getopts instead of getopt, and writes the results on the standard output. getopts is a built-in Bourne shell command used to parse positional parameters and to check for valid options. See sh(1). It supports all applicable rules of the command syntax standard (see Rules 3-10, intro(1)). It should be used in place of the getopt command. (See the NOTES section below.) The syntax for the shell's built-in getopts command is: getopts optstring name [ argument...] optstring must contain the option letters the command using getopts will recognize; if a letter is followed by a colon (:), the option is expected to have an argument, or group of arguments, which must be separated from it by white space. Each time it is invoked, getopts places the next option in the shell variable name and the index of the next argument to be processed in the shell variable OPTIND. Whenever the shell or a shell script is invoked, OPTIND is initialized to 1. When an option requires an option-argument, getopts places it in the shell variable OPTARG. If an illegal option is encountered, ? will be placed in name. When the end of options is encountered, getopts exits with a non-zero exit status. The special option -- may be used to delimit the end of the options. By default, getopts parses the positional parameters. If extra arguments (argument ...) are given on the getopts command line, getopts parses them instead. So that all new commands will adhere to the command syntax standard described in intro(1), they should use getopts or getopt to parse posi- tional parameters and check for options that are valid for that command (see the NOTES section below). OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -b Makes the converted script portable to earlier releases of the UNIX system. /usr/lib/getoptcvt modifies the shell script in file- name so that when the resulting shell script is executed, it determines at run time whether to invoke getopts or getopt. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Processing the arguments for a command The following fragment of a shell program shows how one might process the arguments for a command that can take the options -a or -b, as well as the option -o, which requires an option-argument: while getopts abo: c do case $c in a | b) FLAG=$c;; o) OARG=$OPTARG;; ?) echo $USAGE exit 2;; esac done shift `expr $OPTIND - 1` Example 2: Equivalent code expressions This code accepts any of the following as equivalent: cmd -a -b -o "xxx z yy" filename cmd -a -b -o "xxx z yy" -filename cmd -ab -o xxx,z,yy filename cmd -ab -o "xxx z yy" filename cmd -o xxx,z,yy b a filename ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of getopts: LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. OPTIND This variable is used by getoptcvt as the index of the next argument to be processed. OPTARG This variable is used by getoptcvt to store the argument if an option is using arguments. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 An option, specified or unspecified by optstring, was found. >0 The end of options was encountered or an error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
intro(1), getopts(1), sh(1), shell_builtins(1), getopt(3C), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
getopts prints an error message on the standard error when it encounters an option letter not included in optstring. NOTES
Although the following command syntax rule (see intro(1)) relaxations are permitted under the current implementation, they should not be used because they may not be supported in future releases of the system. As in the EXAMPLES section above, -a and -b are options, and the option -o requires an option-argument. The following example violates Rule 5: options with option-arguments must not be grouped with other options: example% cmd -aboxxx filename The following example violates Rule 6: there must be white space after an option that takes an option-argument: example% cmd -ab oxxx filename Changing the value of the shell variable OPTIND or parsing different sets of arguments may lead to unexpected results. SunOS 5.10 7 Jan 2000 getoptcvt(1)