Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: .bash_history
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users .bash_history Post 28395 by Neo on Wednesday 18th of September 2002 12:43:28 AM
Old 09-18-2002
Hmmm.

Yes, I tend to agree. If an admin's 'toolkit' of IT security options is via shell history files, then they have a long way to go......

On the other hand, we are here to guide them on the path.

It is a bit hard for folks with limited experience to see all the options AND they may work in an environment with limited resources to collaborate on these issues.

There are many legitimate system adminstrators with mult-user systems where accountability is critical to the mission. This is not 'spying' on the users because the systems are IT resources that belong to the company and the actions of users on those systems often require accountability. This is always true when the system application is insured, requires certification, and a myriad other professional operational IT system requirements.

Are we off topic yet? Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change .bash_history to another one

we need the help to change .bash_histroy file in root ,(i.e) we want to save the histroy for .temp.txt for permenently. how to do?? Help us (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thakshina
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.bash_history

During the course of the session before I logout I see some of the commands listed from my previous session but not from my current session and after I logout and log back in I see the commands which I ran before logging out. Does the .bash_history stay in the buffer or someplace else then? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacki
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

.bash_history

Dear All, I am creating users on our servers. the .bash_history supposed to store all the commands entered by the user. My question is, how can I prevent the user himself from editing or viewing this file? I have tried chaning the owner of the .bash_history to be the root user but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: charbel.n.s
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.bash_history modification

Hi Experts, I know my question would be strange but i need to understand how the .bash_history file is logging user actions (the mechanism) and if possible modify it to include also the date/time of every action done by the user. Sample file: # more .bash_history ssh <IP address> -l axadmin... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to store time in .bash_history file

Hi - user commands are written in . bash_history of that user when he logs out. my bash_history file shows. not sure what that number means #1329618972 ls -la #1329618978 ls #1329618980 ls -la my bash_profile looks like this PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin export PATH export... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to recover .bash_history?

rm -rf .bash_history some one ran rm -rf .bash_history on my Linux server(SUSE),I can see this command being run in current history, but I want the OLD history as well,can I recover the old history back. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ankit Bansal
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display .bash_history with timestamp using script

Hi would like to ask if there is anyway to display .bash_history with timestamp using shell script? i know that you should use history command with HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d/%m/%y %T " to display it in terminal but it does not work when i use it on shell script. It seem that you can't run history... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pikamon
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to get the "history" command to show all that is in the .bash_history file?

I am using the bash shell. When I view my recent command history using the "history" command from the prompt, it only shows me the commands starting at #928. The commands I need are earlier than that, but I can't figure out how to make the other 927 display. They are in my .bash_history... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
1 Replies
mount(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  mount(8)

Name
       mount, umount - mount or unmount file systems

Syntax
       /etc/mount [ options ] [ device ] [ directory ]

/etc/umount [ options ] [ device ] [ directory ]

Description
       This  is  a  general description of the command.  Additional descriptions are provided to define the syntax and options for the NFS and UFS
       file systems.

Each invocation of the command announces to the system that a file system is present on the device device.  The file system may be local or
       remote.	File directory must exist as a directory file.	It becomes the name of the newly mounted file system root.

If invoked without arguments, prints the list of mounted file systems.

Physically write-protected disks and magnetic tape file systems must be mounted read-only or an error will occur at mount time.

General users can only mount file systems with certain restrictions.  For example, the user, other than the superuser, performing the mount
       must own the directory directory.  Furthermore, no users other than the superuser can execute or programs on the mounted file systems.	In
       addition, users other than the superuser cannot access block or special character devices such as on the mounted file systems.

The  command  announces	to the system that the removable file system previously mounted on the specified directory is to be removed.  Only
       the person who mounted a particular file system or the superuser can unmount the file system again.

Options
       -a	   Reads the file and mounts, or unmounts, all file systems listed there.

-f	   Fast unmount.  The option has no meaning for local file systems and directories.  However, for remote file system  types  (such
		   as  NFS),  the  option  causes  the	client	to unmount the remotely mounted file systems and directories without notifying the
		   server.  This can avoid the delay of waiting for acknowledgment from a server that is down.

-o options  Specifies a string that is passed to the kernel and used by the specific file system's mount routine in the kernel.	 For  spe-
		   cific options, refer to the file system-specific description, such as

-r	   Indicates  that  the  file system is to be mounted read only. To share a disk, each host must mount the file system with the -r
		   option.

-t type	   Specifies the type of file system is being mounted.	When used with the option, the option mounts all file systems of the given
		   type found in the file.  For specific file system types, refer to the file system-specific description, such as

-v	   Tells what did or did not happen.  (Verbose flag)

The options for are:

-a	   Unmounts all mounted file systems.  It may be necessary to execute twice to accomplish unmounting of all mounted file systems.

-v	   Tells what did or did not happen.  (Verbose flag)

Restrictions
       Mounting corrupted file systems will crash the system.

Files
       File systems information table

See Also
       getmnt(2), mount(2), fstab(5), fsck(8), mount(8nfs), mount(8ufs)

mount(8)