Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting deleting double entries in a log file Post 28259 by Perderabo on Monday 16th of September 2002 10:39:15 AM
Old 09-16-2002
How about:
uniq <inputfile >outputfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deleting log file

Hi:- Will there be any difference in Solair 2.6 if I delete /var/cron/log file to free up some space. Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_aamir
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting double entry in a file

Hi, I am having almost the same problem as junior member 'oupsforum' (refer to subjuct "deleting double entry in a log file"), only that I am using Sun Sorlaris Unix which the uniq command does not has the flag -w. So I am not able to ignore certain portion of the line when the uniq doing the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wing m. Cheng
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines in a log file

Is there an easy way to delete the first so many lines in a log file? like I have a log file that has 10000 lines, i want to just get rid of the first 9000. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all characters from 350th character to 450th character from the log file

Hi All, I have a big log file i want to delete all characters (between 350th to 450th characters) starting at 350th character position to 450th character position. please advice or sample code. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting double items in file

Hi, i need a script, which deletes doulbe items in a file. My file looks like: - - - xxx xxx G123 G234 G234 G234 o o ... First i want to sort the file an then i want to delete double items. Can anyone help me. I work under solaris10. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: free2k
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete log file entries based on the Date/Timestamp within log file

If a log file is in the following format 28-Jul-10 ::: Log message 28-Jul-10 ::: Log message 29-Jul-10 ::: Log message 30-Jul-10 ::: Log message 31-Jul-10 ::: Log message 31-Jul-10 ::: Log message 1-Aug-10 ::: Log message 1-Aug-10 ::: Log message 2-Aug-10 ::: Log message 2-Aug-10 :::... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikram3.r
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script For Deleting Contents of "Live" Log File

In our shop, we have a situation where a log file from our interface engine software has begun maxing out in file size (reaching the 32-bit "2147483647" limit). Currently, the only way to rectify this is to stop the interface and restart it, which generates a new log. Easy enough, but the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjhjr64
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting string within a file that finishes with .log

Hello, This is my first post. Nice forum! I have a file trls.results small exemple of content (actually the file can be very big): ./security/htaccess.htm ./security/ipcount.log ./adhoc/sql/datamod06.sql So there is 3 paths to 3 different files... I want to remove every string that has a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacob106106
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines in a log file

Hello Community, sorry iam from germany and my englisch is not so well. iam searching for less then 4 hours on the web for a solution of my problem. i have a proxy-log-file and want to delete lines wicht matches on two words. example of the line in the logfile: now i want to delet... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matze
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting entries older than 7 days from a file

Hi, I have a file which contains entries in this format. my-bin.000140 my-bin.000141 my-bin.000142 my-bin.000143 my-bin.000144 my-bin.000145 my-bin.000146 my-bin.000147 my-bin.000148 my-bin.000149 my-bin.000150 my-bin.000151 my-bin.000152 my-bin.000153 my-bin.000154... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arijitsaha
2 Replies
UNIQ(1) 							   User Commands							   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq - report or omit repeated lines SYNOPSIS
uniq [OPTION]... [INPUT [OUTPUT]] DESCRIPTION
Discard all but one of successive identical lines from INPUT (or standard input), writing to OUTPUT (or standard output). Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --count prefix lines by the number of occurrences -d, --repeated only print duplicate lines -D, --all-repeated[=delimit-method] print all duplicate lines delimit-method={none(default),prepend,separate} Delimiting is done with blank lines. -f, --skip-fields=N avoid comparing the first N fields -i, --ignore-case ignore differences in case when comparing -s, --skip-chars=N avoid comparing the first N characters -u, --unique only print unique lines -z, --zero-terminated end lines with 0 byte, not newline -w, --check-chars=N compare no more than N characters in lines --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit A field is a run of blanks (usually spaces and/or TABs), then non-blank characters. Fields are skipped before chars. Note: 'uniq' does not detect repeated lines unless they are adjacent. You may want to sort the input first, or use `sort -u' without `uniq'. AUTHOR
Written by Richard M. Stallman and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report uniq bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for uniq is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and uniq programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'uniq invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 UNIQ(1)