Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: question about getopt()
Top Forums Programming question about getopt() Post 28230 by hell666 on Monday 16th of September 2002 02:04:36 AM
Old 09-16-2002
'optarg' is of type 'string' (char *). If 'off_t' is of type int, use atoi() to convert optarg to type off_t.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopt help

scriptname i have made a script to perform so tasks and i managed to complete the tasks for all the options the problem i am facing is that i can run the scripts individually but i would like to make it such that it can accept multiple options and give me the appropriate output e.g.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: problems
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopt

#!/bin/sh set -- `getopt "abco:" "$@"` a= b= c= o= while : do case "$1" in -a) a=1;; -b) b=1;; -c) c=1;; -o) shift; o="$1";; --) break;; esac shift done shift # get rid of -- # rest of script... # e.g. ls -l $@ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hitori
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopt help

I m trying to use getopt This is my script, but it doesn't take argument in variable, Please help. set - - `getopt mscl: $*` if then echo "Exiting...." exit 2 fi for i in $* do case $i in -m) MAIL="$i"; shift;; -s) SCRIPT=$OPTARG; shift;; -c) COB=$OPTARG; shift;;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darshakraut
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopt help

:) Can anybody help me about how to use getopt in shell scripting. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: darshakraut
3 Replies

5. Solaris

use of getopt command

Hi All, Could anyone tell me how to use getopt command.....? Thanks, Pintu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pintupatro
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with getopt

Hi, I want to use the getopt function to parse some arguments for a script. while getopts "i:f:r:" OPTION do case $OPTION in i) iter=$OPTARG;; f) frame=$OPTARG;; r) roi=$OPTARG;; ?) echo Usage: ...... exit 2;; esac done However, I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: giorgos193
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Getopt::Std

I am working on a script that lists files in a directory with a few file attributes depending on what option the user specifies at the command prompt. The script uses Getopt::Std and takes two switches. The first switch allows the user to specify a directory, the second switch gives a long... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Breakology
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Getopt::Long question - stopping multiple args

Hi there, I have an example basic script (below) and ive been trying to figure out how to stop multiple arguments to my options occuring. for example using the example script below I can issue two arguments for, say the --surname option and it will not barf at me (although thats what i want it to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopt in CSH

I am struggling to understand how getopt can be used in a csh script. can anybody post a csh script using getopt. Please! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getopt Help

Hi All, An old work friend wrote a script which I've been trying to understand how a section of it currently works and work out how i can add some command line switches which i can use later in the script to append the output depending on the command line arguements. Currently it works by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
1 Replies
getopt(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 getopt(3)

Name
       getopt - get option letter from argument vector

Syntax
       #include <stdio.h>
       int getopt (argc, argv, optstring)
       int argc;
       char **argv;
       char *optstring;

extern char *optarg;
       extern int optind, opterr;

Description
       The  subroutine	returns the next option letter in argv that matches a letter in optstring.  The optstring is a string of recognized option
       letters; if a letter is followed by a colon, the option is expected to have an argument that may or may not be separated from it  by  white
       space.  The optarg is set to point to the start of the option argument on return from

The  function places in optind the argv index of the next argument to be processed.  The external variable optind is automatically initial-
       ized to 1 before the first call to

When all options have been processed (that is, up to the first non-option argument), returns EOF.  The special option --  may  be  used	to
       delimit the end of the options; EOF will be returned, and -- will be skipped.

Diagnostics
       The function prints an error message on stderr and returns a question mark (?)  when it encounters an option letter that is not included in
       optstring.  Setting opterr to 0 disables this error message.

Examples
       The following code fragment shows how one might process the arguments for a command that can take the mutually exclusive options a  and	b,
       and the options f and o, both of which require arguments:
       #include <stdio.h>
       main (argc, argv)
       int argc;
       char **argv;
       {
	      int c;
	      extern int optind, opterr;
	      extern char *optarg;
	      while ((c = getopt (argc, argv, "abf:o:")) != EOF)
		       switch (c) {
		       case 'a':
			       if (bflg)
				       errflg++;
			       else
				       aflg++;
			       break;
		       case 'b':
			       if (aflg)
				       errflg++;
			       else
				       bproc( );