Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how do you create a man page? Post 28152 by Kelam_Magnus on Friday 13th of September 2002 02:37:47 PM
Old 09-13-2002
If you already have a formatted file. simply put it in the appropriate directory under either /usr/share/man or /usr/local/man.

Then compress the file and rename it without the .Z on the end

cp mymanpage

compress mymanpage
mv mymanpage.Z mymanpage

The file is normally kept in the compressed mode.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

adding a man page

I was wonderiong if ther is a way for a user to add a man page specific to thier account. similar to copying the .1 or .1.gz to /usr/share/man/man1 "cp *.1.gz /usr/share/man/man1". Except for using another folder as I don't have access to /usr/share/man/man1. I would think that this might involve... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacob358
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

scp-1.2.27 man page

Hi Guys, I'm looking for the man page for scp version 1.2.27 I have an old redhat server that has a few large scripts that use this version and I want to know what the -A flag does and the man page is not on there. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tornado
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

man page issue

Man page is not working my system. It is giving the following the following error > man ls gdbm fatal: read error with debug option > man -d ls ... .... ... ... using less as pager checking for locale en_US add_nls_manpath(): processing /usr/local/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/X11R6/man... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenkumar_l
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Unable to get help from man page

Help, it seem that i am unable to get man help form solaris 10. I am running SunOS unknown 5.10 Generic_120012-14 i86pc i386 i86pc when ever i try to man a command what i get is "No manual entry" like the one below. # man grep No manual entry for grep. # man ls No manual entry for ls.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezsurf
8 Replies

5. Solaris

man page question

What does the last change means in man page .. does that this man page has not been updated since 2003 or something else ? newfs-options The options are documented in the newfs man page. SunOS 5.10 Last change: 9 Dec 2003 1 System... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
2 Replies

6. Solaris

How to scroll through the man page in Solaris

Hey All, I generally login to the Solaris box using Putty. But when I read a man page, I am not being able to scroll line by line using traditional 'j' or 'k' keys. Any idea about how can we scroll through line by line while reading a manage page over Putty (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man page in MANPATH not found

dear unix experts, the 'man' command on my system isn't finding a manpage that is in a MANPATH directory, or even when I specify the path directly: 12:56pm ilya@node1390 /idi/sabetilab/ilya/usr/share/man $ man -M . xemacs No manual entry for xemacs 12:56pm ilya@node1390... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: notestaff
4 Replies

8. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Error in eval man page

Hello, I believe that the following man page contains an error: <www dot unix dot com>/man-page/posix/1posix/eval/ In section "EXAMPLES", the fourth line should probably be: eval y='$'$x rather than: $fooeval y='$'$x Regards, Jérôme DUBOIS. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Unregistered
1 Replies
INFO2MAN(1)						      General Commands Manual						       INFO2MAN(1)

NAME
info2man - generate man pages from info documents SYNOPSIS
info2man info-file DESCRIPTION
info2man converts a GNU info file to a man page. It first generates a POD (Plain Old Documentation) file using info2pod(1), then converts this to a man page using pod2man(1). info-file should be the full path to the info file (probably in /usr/share/info or similar). OPTIONS
None. NOTES
The style of info documentation and man pages differs considerably. Info documentation is generally written as a book, making full use of chapters, hyperlinks, footnotes, and the like. By contrast, man pages are often intended as something closer to a reference card. That said, many people prefer the interface used to view man pages (a normal pager) to the available info browsers. This program will con- vert the form, but not the content; don't expect it to possess the artificial intelligence necessary to turn a lengthy interconnected info file into a man page that is a model of conciseness! AUTHOR
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> wrote info2man. Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote this manual page. SEE ALSO
info2pod(1), pod2man(1). INFO2MAN(1)