Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Erase files and directory
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Erase files and directory Post 28144 by odogbolu98 on Friday 13th of September 2002 01:56:21 PM
Old 09-13-2002
Thanks everyone, that really works fine. All I wanted was an idea on how to go about it and you guys have done just that.

Thanks,

Odogbolu 98

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to erase files from a tape used previously on Windows operating system

hi all Please may you help. I want to put my unix application backup files using tar cv8 * from a specific folder e.g /u1/sage With new tapes SONY 4mm-DL 90m i can do it with no problem at all. Now I have run out of tapes and I need to use the same kind but they were once used to back... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: isaac
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to erase files with line number less than 100

I am trying to delete all the files with line number less than 100 in a directory. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sean2008
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move all files in a directory tree to a signal directory?

Is this possible? Let me know If I need specify further on what I am trying to do- I just want to spare you the boring details of my personal file management. Thanks in advance- Brian- (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files in current directory when 100,000's files in current directory

Hi All I was wondering what is the most efficient way to find files in the current directory(that may contain 100,000's files), that meets a certain specified file type and of a certain age. I have experimented with the find command in unix but it also searches all sub directories. I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kewong007
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to rsync or tar directory trees, with hidden directory, but without files?

I want to backup all the directory tress, including hidden directories, without copying any files. find . -type d gives the perfect list. When I tried tar, it won't work for me because it tars all the files. find . -type d | xargs tar -cvf a.tar So i tried rsync. On my own test box, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fld2007
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP files from different directory from remote server to one directory in local

Hi All, I want to search for .log files from folders and sub folders in remote server and FTP them to one particular folder in the local machine. I dont want to copy the entire directory tree structure, just have to take all the .log files from all the folders by doing a recursive search from the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dassv
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

8. AIX

How to set owner and permission for files/directory in directory in this case?

Hi. My example: I have a filesystem /log. Everyday, log files are copied to /log. I'd like to set owner and permission for files and directories in /log like that chown -R log_adm /log/* chmod -R 544 /log/*It's OK, but just at that time. When a new log file or new directory is created in /log,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory containing files,Print names of the files in the directory that are exactly same content.

Given a directory containing say a few thousand files, please output a list of all the names of the files in the directory that are exactly the same, i.e. have the same contents. func(a_directory_name) output -> {“matches”: , ... ]} e.g. func(“/home/my/files”) where the directory... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
7 Replies
delete directory(1m)													      delete directory(1m)

NAME
delete directory - Deletes a directory SYNOPSIS
cdscp delete directory directory-name ARGUMENTS
The full name of the directory. DESCRIPTION
The delete directory command deletes a directory. The directory cannot contain any object entries, soft links, or child pointers. The master replica must be the only remaining replica in the cell. Use the delete replica command if you need to remove read-only replicas. Privilege Required You must have delete permission to the directory and write permission to the clearinghouse that stores the master replica of the directory. The server principal needs administer permission to the parent directory or delete permission to the child pointer that points to the directory you intend to delete. NOTE
This command is replaced at Revision 1.1 by the dcecp command and may not be provided in future releases of DCE. EXAMPLE
The following command deletes the directory /.:/eng from the namespace: cdscp> delete directory /.:/eng RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: create directory(1m), delete replica(1m), list directory(1m), set directory(1m), set directory to skulk(1m), show directory(1m) delete directory(1m)