Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fgets()
Top Forums Programming fgets() Post 28017 by Perderabo on Wednesday 11th of September 2002 09:32:45 AM
Old 09-11-2002
in defense of fgets

Quote:
Originally posted by wolk
why complicate the simple stuff...?
why don't u use :

scanf("%s",&x );
I certainly agree with the sentiment "why complicate the simple stuff?". Still I have to say that fgets is, to me, a much simpler routine to understand than scanf. And even if it wasn't, scanf will do more work than fgets to acquire that string. Finally, the fgets solution will prevent buffer overflow. You will need to use something like:
scanf("%255s", &x);
to render this safe. And if the buffer is not a constant size you will need to dynamically build the format string that you pass to scanf.

scanf is great when you have a complex set of data, but to just read a single string, I would always go with fgets. Even for your second example, I might tend to go with fgets and atoi. But if it was, say, two integers and a string, I would use the scanf routine.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Problem with fgets and rewind function ..

Hello Friends, I got stuck with fgets () & rewind() function .. Please need help.. Actually I am doing a like, The function should read lines from a txt file until the function is called.. If the data from the txt file ends then it goes to the top and then again when the function is called... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user_prady
1 Replies

2. Programming

Question about NULL Character & fgets()

Assume client send the message " Hello ", i get output such as Sent mesg: hello Bytes Sent to Client: 6 bytes_received = recv(clientSockD, data, MAX_DATA, 0); if(bytes_received) { send(clientSockD, data, bytes_received, 0); data = '\0';... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f.ben.isaac
2 Replies

3. Programming

[C] fgets problem with SIGINT singlal!!!

Hi all, I have this method to read a string from a STDIN: void readLine(char* inputBuffer){ fgets (inputBuffer, MAX_LINE, stdin); fflush(stdin); /* remove '\n' char from string */ if(strlen(inputBuffer) != 0) inputBuffer = '\0'; } All work fine but if i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hurricane86
1 Replies

4. Programming

fgets problems

I've been having trouble with reading past the end-of-file in C. Can anyone find my stupid mistake? This is the minimal code needed to cause the error for me: FILE *f = fopen(name, "r"); if (!f) return; pari_sp ltop = avma; char line; while(fgets(line, 1100, f) != NULL) printf(".");... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: CRGreathouse
23 Replies

5. Programming

fgets problems newline

hello, i'm trying to write a C-program that reads a file line by line. (and searches each line for a given string) This file is an special ASCII-database-file, with a lot of entries. I checked the line with most length, and it was about 4000 characters. With google i found several... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: p1cm1n
4 Replies

6. Programming

fgets read file line with "\n" inside

Hi, I have a string like this, char str ="This, a sample string.\\nThis is the second line, \\n \\n, we will have one blank line"; if I want to use strtok() to seperate the string, which token should I use? I tried "\n", "\\n", either not working. peter (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laopi
1 Replies
GETS(3) 						     Library Functions Manual							   GETS(3)

NAME
gets, fgets - get a string from a stream SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> char *gets(char *s) char *fgets(char *s, int n, FILE *stream) DESCRIPTION
Gets reads a string into s from the standard input stream stdin. The string is terminated by a newline character, which is replaced in s by a null character. Gets returns its argument. Fgets reads n-1 characters, or up through a newline character, whichever comes first, from the stream into the string s. The last charac- ter read into s is followed by a null character. Fgets returns its first argument. SEE ALSO
puts(3), getc(3), scanf(3), fread(3), ferror(3). DIAGNOSTICS
Gets and fgets return the constant pointer NULL upon end of file or error. BUGS
Gets deletes a newline, fgets keeps it, all in the name of backward compatibility. Gets is not present in the Minix-vmd C library for reasons that should be obvious. Use fgets instead. 7th Edition May 15, 1985 GETS(3)