Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Performing a non-recursive find in Unix Post 27749 by psera on Friday 6th of September 2002 06:08:43 AM
Old 09-06-2002
CPU & Memory No Problem !! Take it easyyy

Ur problem is that U had not gone the man pages of find
Please make sure U read the help pages of find .

Acctually find ->> utility recursively descends the directory
hierarchy for each path seeking files that match......
so please checkout with UNIX man pages and try it

it would fun if U could use grep or fgrep with find ....
Please try it and reply

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question: non-recursive find syntax

Hello, I am trying to search a directory for all files matching "G*" without looking in sub-directories "success" and "error". I've searched this forum and found the following syntax, but can't make it work: find . \( ! -name success -prune -name error -prune \) -type f -name "G*" Have... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexkav
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

making a recursive find more useful..

Hi everyone, I'm using a recursive find (you know the type, find . -name qwert*) to find a set of files. However, because I'm new to the system and there is not much documentation about these particular files I'm trying to find them using this recursive find. I started off at the location... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spanish_tony
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

identify the unix processes performing high disk i/o reads and writes

I would like to write shell/perl script which identifies the top unix processes that are performing high disk I/O's or/and writes If any one knows the solution please help me? -Swamy (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avsswamy
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

identify the unix process performing high disk i/o reads and writes

Guys, Is there any UNIX command that captures the 'Unix process which is performing high disk I/O reads and writes'. can you help me in this? -Swamy (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avsswamy
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive find and store

I HAVE A TEXT FILE CONTAINING THE VALUES 1.CPP 2.CPP 3.CPP 4.CPP 5.CPP 6.CPP I WANT TO TAKE EACH .CPP AND USE THE FIND COMMAND TO FIND THE LATEST VERSION OF THE FOLDER IN WHICH IT IS PRESENT. HOW DO I IMPLEMENT IT IN A WHILE LOOP I TRIED SOMETHING LIKE THIS WHILE CAT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Non recursive find command

Hi, I have question is related to find command. I want to find command should search in current folder only not recursive mode(sub-folders). I found a one way of, find . \( -name success -prune \) -o -name "Rajini*" How ever, my current folder is having lots sub-folders and am not... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the latest file on Unix or Linux (recursive)

Hi all, I need to get the latest file. I have found this command "ls -lrt" that is great but not recursive. Can anyone help? Thanx by advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1or2is3
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Some advice please on non-recursive find

Hi all, I am currently writing a find-and-remove kind of script that is to be used for Solaris and Linux. Currently am using the find command below that I is in find only current directory (universal) | commandlinefu.com This however gives me the "ksh: /bin/find: arg list too long" error... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Non Recursive Find Command

Hello Unix Gurus, I am using the following find commands: 1) find Input_Path -name '*.' -exec mv -f {} Outputpath \; 2) find Inputpath -name '*.' -exec cp {} Outputpath \; 3) find Somepath -name '*.' Now the problem is my Unix version does not support maxdepth Option for find... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchegoor
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recursive Find on file size

Is there a way to use the find command to recursively scan directories for files greater than 1Gb in size and print out the directory path and file name only? Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
6 Replies
UDM_FIND(3)								 1							       UDM_FIND(3)

udm_find - Perform search

SYNOPSIS
resource udm_find (resource $agent, string $query) DESCRIPTION
Performs a search. The search itself. The first argument - session, the next one - query itself. To find something just type words you want to find and press SUBMIT button. For example, "mysql odbc". You should not use quotes " in query, they are written here only to divide a query from other text. mnoGoSearch will find all documents that contain word "mysql" and/or word "odbc". Best documents having bigger weights will be dis- played first. If you use search mode ALL, search will return documents that contain both (or more) words you entered. In case you use mode ANY, the search will return list of documents that contain any of the words you entered. If you want more advanced results you may use query language. You should select "bool" match mode in the search from. PARAMETERS
o $agent - A link to Agent, received after call to udm_alloc_agent(3). o $query - mnoGoSearch understands the following boolean operators: & - logical AND. For example, "mysql & odbc". mnoGoSearch will find any URLs that contain both "mysql" and "odbc". | - logical OR. For example "mysql|odbc". mnoGoSearch will find any URLs, that contain word "mysql" or word "odbc". ~ - logical NOT. For example "mysql & ~odbc". mnoGoSearch will find URLs that contain word "mysql" and do not contain word "odbc" at the same time. Note that ~ just excludes given word from results. Query "~odbc" will find nothing! () - group command to compose more complex queries. For example "(mysql | msql) & ~postgres". Query language is simple and powerful at the same time. Just consider query as usual boolean expression. RETURN VALUES
Returns a result link identifier on success or FALSE on failure. PHP Documentation Group UDM_FIND(3)