Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Searching a file withoug leaving home directory!! Post 27734 by hassan2 on Thursday 5th of September 2002 05:04:01 PM
Old 09-05-2002
Try

find /bin -name testing 2>/dev/null

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching each file in a directory for text

what command can i use to search the files in a directory for a text. the output would list the files containing the text. ive tried this but it is not exactly what im looking to do: find . -name "*.xml" -exec agrep searchstring {} \; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jim majors
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching directory for file that contains some text.

If I go into a directory and type in .. more * | grep foo I get the lines of text that contain foo in all of the files in the directory out of all of the files that are there. How do I make it so I can find out what the names of the files are that contain that text "foo"? By doing what I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the latest modified file name in /home directory?

I only know how to list all sub-directories or files in specified directory. I don't know how to order them by modified date, furthermore, I don't know how to get the top one file in the sorted list. Wish you can do me a favor. Thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crest.boy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy file after searching in a directory

Hi, I am looking for an answer for following senario: I have a text file (base.txt) which consist list of files to be searched like: base.txt abc.txt def.txt fgh.txt Now i am going to search all the listed files in another directory after reading them one by one, once i found the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: apjneeraj
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching the file in a directory

Hi Folks, I am using the putty as I need to check the logs, My query is that I know the location of my logs ..that is cd /var /logs/abc.log so I can reach to this place and open the logs in putty, But what About if I do not the location only thing I know the name of the abc.log , and I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KAREENA18
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename all file with blank in directory from home root , please help me

hi , :wall: I've in directory home user 3 file with blank space in name file, I would like erase the all character that no have alphanum more dot in namefile from home root , below the script. If I execute the shell script from directory where stay it's execute well done.But I would like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giankan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for config file in home directory first??

hi, i have written a shell script inside which i am using a pgp command to encrypt a file. when pgp command is run , there is a /.pgp/pgp.cfg file in my home directory. i logged into the unix server with my userid, when i run the script from the command prompt, pgp is successful, since i am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot run this .java file from the home directory??

I wrote a simple test.java program in vi. I know it compiles correctly because I went into the directory where test.java was and compiled it and it created a java.class. I then ran test.java by staying in the same directory where it was and it worked great. However, when i backed out of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: syregnar86
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching File in Directory and all Subdirectory and Delete

Hi All, My directory structure is like Directory1 SubDirectory1 SubDirectory2 SubDirectory3 I have main directories and subdirectories underneath. I want to write a shell script where I will be passing file name as a parameter, Now I want to find all the files in Directory1... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: John William
19 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Leaving directory Error

Hi, i have a question, when I install any software it give error message like as follow : sudo make password for csm: make all-recursive make: Entering directory `/home/csm/Desktop/miRanda-3.3a' Making all in man make: Entering directory `/home/csm/Desktop/miRanda-3.3a/man' make:... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: harpreetmanku04
18 Replies
createhomedir(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  createhomedir(1)

NAME
createhomedir -- create and populate home directories on the local computer. SYNOPSIS
createhomedir [-scbalh] [-n directoryDomainName] [-u username] DESCRIPTION
createhomedir provides several options for creating and populating home directories. OPTIONS
-s creates home directories for server home paths only (default). -c creates home directories for local home paths only. -b creates home directories for both server and local home paths. -a creates home directories for users defined in all directory domains of the server's search path. -l creates home directories for users defined in the local directory domain. -n directoryDomainName creates home directories for users defined in a specific directory domain in the server's search path. -u username creates a home directory for a specific user defined in the domain(s) identified in the -a, -l, or -n parameter. If you omit the -a, -l, and -n parameters when you use the -u parameter, -a is assumed. -i reads username list from standard input and creates specified home directories. Each username should be on its own line. -h usage help. FILES
/usr/sbin/createhomedir location of tool CAVEATS
When using the -a option, search limits of various directory servers (such as Open Directory or Active Directory) can prevent all possible home directories from being created. In this case, you may need to specify the usernames explicitly. Mac OS X June 1, 2019 Mac OS X