Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Proper Forum Etiquette
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators Proper Forum Etiquette Post 27653 by tarballed on Wednesday 4th of September 2002 04:41:07 PM
Old 09-04-2002
Sometimes going over the man pages again and again is the only way to 'get it'

I could not agree with you more.

Maybe its because we are old schoolers on this and we know the system. Smilie We learned it the hard way.

I got a kick out of your name whats you told me the reasoning behind it. I bet we could exchange some good stories about responses we've received pertaining to "RTFM!" hehe Smilie

Glad to know im not alone. Smilie

Tarballed

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Proper routing

I have a series of new machines that are internet facing (have IP's that are accessible via the 'net) and it has internal facing interfaces. I need to be able to communicate back to the internal network to a specific server which processes monitoring and e-mail traffic. I've been told that I should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Proper use of prune...

My goal was to find any directories inside of any directory called "09_Client Original" not modified in the last 30 days. $ find /Volumes/Jobs_Volume/ -type d -name "09_Client Original" -exec find {} -mtime +30 -type d -maxdepth 1 \; The results of this find are passed along in a perl script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guriboy
1 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Forum etiquette and contact information

I got the following message I tried to send the following reply:Please excuse me for not being more familiar with this forums conventions. I was not aware that I included a personal message. Please help me by: 1. So that I can avoid this problem in the future, please let me know what part of my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lmjennings44094
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Proper syntax

I'm new to Unix, and just had a quick question. I'm writing a bash script, and I was wondering what proper programming etiquette was for piping. How many pipes is too many pipes? OLDEST=$(find . -maxdepth 1 -type d -newermt 2012-07-01 ! -newermt 2012-07-30 | xargs ls -1td | tail -2) echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jrymer
1 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Forum Update: Disabled Home Page Forum Statistics for Guests (Not Registered)

Just a quick update; to speed up the forums, I have disabled the forum statistics on the home page for non registered users. No changes for registered users. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Mobile: Advanced Forum Statistics to Forum Home Page

For mobile users, I have just added a "first beta" Advanced Forum Statistics to the home page on mobile using CSS overflow:auto; so you can swipe if you need to see more. Google Search Console mobile usability says this page is "mobile friendly" so perhaps this will be useful for some of our... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
12 Replies
GIT-CHECK-MAILMAP(1)						    Git Manual						      GIT-CHECK-MAILMAP(1)

NAME
git-check-mailmap - Show canonical names and email addresses of contacts SYNOPSIS
git check-mailmap [options] <contact>... DESCRIPTION
For each "Name <user@host>" or "<user@host>" from the command-line or standard input (when using --stdin), look up the person's canonical name and email address (see "Mapping Authors" below). If found, print them; otherwise print the input as-is. OPTIONS
--stdin Read contacts, one per line, from the standard input after exhausting contacts provided on the command-line. OUTPUT
For each contact, a single line is output, terminated by a newline. If the name is provided or known to the mailmap, "Name <user@host>" is printed; otherwise only "<user@host>" is printed. MAPPING AUTHORS
If the file .mailmap exists at the toplevel of the repository, or at the location pointed to by the mailmap.file or mailmap.blob configuration options, it is used to map author and committer names and email addresses to canonical real names and email addresses. In the simple form, each line in the file consists of the canonical real name of an author, whitespace, and an email address used in the commit (enclosed by < and >) to map to the name. For example: Proper Name <commit@email.xx> The more complex forms are: <proper@email.xx> <commit@email.xx> which allows mailmap to replace only the email part of a commit, and: Proper Name <proper@email.xx> <commit@email.xx> which allows mailmap to replace both the name and the email of a commit matching the specified commit email address, and: Proper Name <proper@email.xx> Commit Name <commit@email.xx> which allows mailmap to replace both the name and the email of a commit matching both the specified commit name and email address. Example 1: Your history contains commits by two authors, Jane and Joe, whose names appear in the repository under several forms: Joe Developer <joe@example.com> Joe R. Developer <joe@example.com> Jane Doe <jane@example.com> Jane Doe <jane@laptop.(none)> Jane D. <jane@desktop.(none)> Now suppose that Joe wants his middle name initial used, and Jane prefers her family name fully spelled out. A proper .mailmap file would look like: Jane Doe <jane@desktop.(none)> Joe R. Developer <joe@example.com> Note how there is no need for an entry for <jane@laptop.(none)>, because the real name of that author is already correct. Example 2: Your repository contains commits from the following authors: nick1 <bugs@company.xx> nick2 <bugs@company.xx> nick2 <nick2@company.xx> santa <me@company.xx> claus <me@company.xx> CTO <cto@coompany.xx> Then you might want a .mailmap file that looks like: <cto@company.xx> <cto@coompany.xx> Some Dude <some@dude.xx> nick1 <bugs@company.xx> Other Author <other@author.xx> nick2 <bugs@company.xx> Other Author <other@author.xx> <nick2@company.xx> Santa Claus <santa.claus@northpole.xx> <me@company.xx> Use hash # for comments that are either on their own line, or after the email address. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-CHECK-MAILMAP(1)