Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Printing SGML man Pages
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Printing SGML man Pages Post 2755 by SmartJuniorUnix on Friday 1st of June 2001 01:33:20 PM
Old 06-01-2001
Question Printing SGML man Pages

This may seem like a simple question, but hey, I'm new at this stuff. Man pages on solaris 7 are in SGML format. I am sure there is a plethora of utilities out there that will help me print them. Any suggestions.

Oh, any help on getting the man pages to print pretty would be cool too. I'm sick of looking at text files with no distinction between headings, flags, and content.

Thanks a whole bunch.

SmartJuniorUnix

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying Man pages

Copying the man pages to the floppy is no problem , but reading the files from a windows pc is nearly impossible because hundreds of special characters are included in the output when I try to read the copied man page from Notebook. Is there a way to format the manpage before i copy it to a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wavy_lay
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing new man pages

I am having problems installing new man pages on a FreeBSD 3.3 system. They are the man entrys for a new software that I have installed and I would like them to be searchable from man. I have run Make whatis and tried to adjust the manpath.config. I also have played with catman but I think the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jwatson1000
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Man pages

Hello , I just installed openssh in my system . I actually tried to man sshd but it says no entry , though there is a man directory in the installation which have the man pages for sshd . Can anyone tell me how should i install these man pages . DP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man pages

Hi, I've written now a man pages, but I don't knwo how to get 'man' to view them. Where have I to put this files, which directories are allowed?? THX Bensky (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bensky
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man pages

Hi folks, I want to know all the commands for which man pages are available. How do i get it? Cheers, Nisha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nisha
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man pages

When reading man pages, I notice that sometimes commands are follwed by a number enclosed in parenthesis. such as: mkdir calls the mkdir(2) system call. What exactly does this mean? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
4 Replies

7. AIX

man pages in AIX

Hi all. A friend of mine just recently gave me an old RISC 6000 machine to learn on for my AIX certification. I installed AIX 4.3.3 and everything seems to work fine, except there are no man pages. Is there a way to generate man pages on this machine? Thanks alot in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlynch912
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Man pages on Solaris 10

Hi, I want to install man pages package from solaris 10. Solaris 10 has already been installed on my servor but I have to add the man pages packages. I search for a long time on internet this package but I didn't find a compatible one... So I downloaded Solaris 10 from Sun site to get this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MasterapocA
1 Replies

9. Solaris

MAN PAGES

Hi everyone, I have a small query, in solaris the man pages get displayed on half of the terminal , can i get a full terminal or full screen display ?:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: M.Choudhury
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

Looking for some man pages.

Can anyone supply me with the man pages for: omnidatalist omnibarlist omnisap.exe I prefer the source man pages in nroff format. A clue about the software bundles which supply these man pages is fine as well. OS: HP-UX TIA (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb008
11 Replies
PURITY(6)							   Games Manual 							 PURITY(6)

NAME
purity - a general purpose purity test SYNOPSIS
/usr/games/purity [ flags ] [ testname ] DESCRIPTION
Purity is an interactive purity test program with a simple, user interface and datafile format. For each test, questions are printed to the your terminal, and you are prompted for an answer to the current question. At a prompt, these are your choices: y Answer "yes" to the question. n Answer "no" to the question. b Backup one question, if you answered it incorrectly, or someone is watching you take the test, and you don't (or do) want to admit a different answer. r Redraw the current question. q Quit the test, and print the current score. ? Print a help screen for the current prompt. k Kill a section of the test. This skips all the questions of the test until the next subject heading. a Toggle answer mode between real answers and obfuscated answers. Real answers print "yes" and "no", while obfuscated answers are "Maybe" and "maybe". Obfuscated answers are preferred if you are shy, and don't want people to be able to read your answers over your shoulder as you take the test. d Toggle dERanGe output. s Print your current score on the test you are taking. l Toggle score logging. At the end of the test, your score is printed out. For most purity tests, lower scores denote more "experience" of the test material. FLAGS
These are the command line flags for the test. -a Show real answers (i.e. "yes" and "no") instead of obfuscated ones (i.e. "Maybe" and "maybe") as you answer the questions. -d PrINt THe tESt in DerANgeD pRInT. -f Take the test in fast mode. Only the questions are printed, and not any other text blocks, like the introdution, subject headers, and the conclusion. -l Take the test without having your score logged. -p Print the test without prompting for answers. This is useful for making hard copies of the tests without having to edit out the prompts by hand. -r Decrypt the test using the Rot 13 algorithm. This is done as a form of "protection", such that if you read a rot13 test and it offends you, it's your own fault. -z zoom through more prompts in large text blocks. The default is to prompt the user for more when a screenful of text has been printed without any user input. DATAFILE FORMAT
The format of the datafiles is a very simple format, intended such that new tests can quickly and easily be converted to run with the test. There are four types of text in a purity test datafile. Each type is contained in a bracket type of punctuation. The definitions are as follows: the styles of text blocks are: { plain text block } [ subject header ] ( test question ) and < conclusion > Plain text blocks are printed out character for character. Subject headers are preceded by their subject numbers, starting at 1, and then printed as text blocks. Questions are preceded by their numbers, and then prompt the user to answer the question, keeping track of the user's current score. Conclusions first calculate and print the user's score for the test, then print out the conclusion as a text block. If you wish to include any of the various bracket punctuation in your text, the backslash ("") character will escape the next character. To print a question with parentheses, you would use the following format: (have you ever written a purity test (like this one)?) the output would be this: 1. have you ever written a purity test (like this one)? and then it would have asked the user for her/his answer. For a generic datafile, use the "sample" datafile for the test. FILES
/var/games/purity.scores the score logfile /usr/share/games/purity/* test data files AUTHOR
Eric Lechner, lechner@ucscb.ucsc.edu 18 December 1989 PURITY(6)