Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: finding a file in Unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers finding a file in Unix Post 27534 by Cameron on Tuesday 3rd of September 2002 12:16:55 PM
Old 09-03-2002
Quote:
difference between "find ." and "find /"
Basically the "." says `From here` or your current working directory. The "/" indicates that you wish to start searching from the root directory (top of the directory tree).

Hope that helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding files in Unix

I need help with the syntax to serach a directory and all the folders in that directorys for a single pdf file. I would than like to move that file to another folder. I don't know if this is possible with one command. Please Help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnlong
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding directories in UNIX

I am accessing a UNIX server via FTP. I want to retieve a file in a directory. What is the UNIX command that I need to view and retrieve files from a directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yodaddy
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding latest file in Unix

Hi, i want to search a file in the dir , if file exists for todays date print the message that file found or if file does not exist for todays date/ if file not found i want to display message saying that file not found. How to do this. Thx for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nick12
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding Printer in unix

I am trying to find the list of printers(names) in the network from unix server. can anybody help me . I need the command. Thanks in advance. :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijisenthil
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding files in Unix

Hi 1)How do i find files in unix that end either in .pc or .h This does not return any output find . -name "*(pc|h)" 2)I have a file like this 001123456 .. ... i want the output to be like 001-123-456 any tricks in regular expression can do this in vi. regards Hrishy (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding unix file system

Hi, I have here a hard drive from a computer that was damaged, and now the costumer needs the data on the hard drive, but doesn't have any other computer to read data. I don't really know what file system is on the disk. How can I find out what file system is on the disk so I can read the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmarques
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding out all users and their UNIX groups??

Is there a way to find out all users and the UNIX groups they belong to?? :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding just unix user

I need to check for username that we are logged in.There are a lot of unix users and proceed according to that i.e find unix user if then echo "x" elif then echo "y' fi fi Now I dont know how to find and put user in if condition (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriki32
8 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

finding pattern without grep in unix

how can i find related pattern in a text file without using grep command in unix (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: feint
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding a Particular Pattern In UNIX

Hi, Suppose I have a file with many lines as follows. Now I want to find the following questions from the file through shell script or commands. My name is XYZ. XYZ works for GHT and XYZ is part of PES. GHT is a good organization. XYZ knows swimming. XYZ is also very keen in reading. XYZ is a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sktkpl
2 Replies
U9FS(4) 						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							   U9FS(4)

NAME
u9fs - serve 9P from Unix SYNOPSIS
u9fs [ directory ] DESCRIPTION
U9fs is not a Plan 9 program. Instead it is a program that serves Unix files to Plan 9 machines using the 9P protocol (see intro(5)). It is to be invoked on a Unix machine by inetd with its standard input, output, and error connected to a network connection, typically TCP on an Ethernet. It runs as user root and multiplexes access to multiple Plan 9 clients over the single wire. It simulates Unix permissions itself by assuming Plan 9 uids match Unix login names. If a directory is specified u9fs first does a Unix chroot system call to that directory. Plan 9 calls this service 9fs with TCP service number 564 on the Ethernet. Set up this way on a machine called, say, kremvax, u9fs may be connected to the name space of a Plan 9 process by 9fs kremvax Due to a bug in some versions of the IP software, some systems will not accept the service name 9fs, thinking it a service number because of the initial digit. If so, run the service as u9fs or 564 and do the srv and mount by hand: srv tcp!kremvax!u9fs mount -c /srv/tcp!kremvax!u9fs /n/kremvax For more information on this procedure, see srv(4) and bind(1). U9fs serves the entire file system of the Unix machine. It forbids access to devices because the program is single-threaded and may block unpredictably. Using the attach specifier device connects to a file system identical to the usual system except it permits device access (and may block unpredictably): srv tcp!kremvax!9fs mount -c /srv/tcp!kremvax!9fs /n/kremvax device (The 9fs command does not accept an attach specifier.) Even so, device access may produce unpredictable results if the block size of the device is greater than 8192, the maximum data size of a 9P message. The source to u9fs is in the Plan 9 directory /sys/src/cmd/unix/u9fs. To install u9fs on a Unix system, copy the source to a directory on that system. Edit the makefile to set LOG to a proper place for a log file and to set the compile-time configuration correctly. Then com- pile with an ANSI C compiler and install in /usr/etc/u9fs. Install this line in inetd.conf: 9fs stream tcp nowait root /usr/etc/u9fs u9fs and this in services: 9fs 564/tcp 9fs # Plan 9 fs SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/unix/u9fs DIAGNOSTICS
Problems are reported to /tmp/u9fs.log. A compile-time flag enables chatty debugging. SEE ALSO
bind(1), srv(4), ip(3), nfsserver(8) BUGS
The implementation of devices is unsatisfactory. U9FS(4)