Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Game Programming? Help!!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Game Programming? Help!! Post 27411 by oombera on Friday 30th of August 2002 03:27:11 PM
Old 08-30-2002
Wow yesterday you posted that you're brand new to Unix and don't know anything about it. Now you want to program games.. ambitious! Smilie

I don't know if you've taken a programming logic course yet. If you've never programmed before, I'd recommend buying a book on the subject and reading it. That way, you'll know all about loops, arrays, etc. independent of any one language.

The logic of programming is very important for any application you want to develop, so get that down first.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Carreer:Networking Programming in Unix (C programming Language)

Hello, I am trying to learn Networking Programming in C in unix enviorment. I want to know how good it is to become a network programmer. i am crazy about Network programming but i also want to opt for the best carreer options. Anybody experienced Network Programmer, please tell me is my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

From iOS programming to Linux system programming

Hello. I like Linux and C programming language. Allways wanted to understand kernel and become a Linux system programmer. And I also like Objective-C and iOS. These two programming areas have relations: 1. Linux and iOS are UNIX-like systems, POSIX compliant. 2. It is useful to know C language... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rockatansky
2 Replies

3. Programming

Game script

Hi everyone, I need some help seriously. The game is in text mode. It will be based on questions and answers and simple commands. A menu containing options of the game including: 1-Create a new player. 2-Identify as existing player. 3-Launch a new game: this action opens a new game for an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NaimZero
1 Replies
DM(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						     DM(8)

NAME
dm -- dungeon master SYNOPSIS
ln -s dm game DESCRIPTION
dm is a program used to regulate game playing. dm expects to be invoked with the name of a game that a user wishes to play. This is done by creating symbolic links to dm, in the directory /usr/games for all of the regulated games. The actual binaries for these games should be placed in a ``hidden'' directory, /usr/games/hide, that may only be accessed by the dm program. dm determines if the requested game is available and, if so, runs it. The file /etc/dm.conf controls the conditions under which games may be run. The file /etc/nogames may be used to ``turn off'' game playing. If the file exists, no game playing is allowed; the contents of the file will be displayed to any user requesting a game. FILES
/etc/dm.conf configuration file /etc/nogames turns off game playing /usr/games/hide directory of ``real'' binaries /var/log/games.log game logging file SEE ALSO
dm.conf(5) HISTORY
The dm command appeared in 4.3BSD-Tahoe. SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
Two issues result from dm running the games setgid ``games''. First, all games that allow users to run UNIX commands should carefully set both the real and effective group ids immediately before executing those commands. Probably more important is that dm never be setgid any- thing but ``games'' so that compromising a game will result only in the user's ability to play games at will. Secondly, games which previ- ously had no reason to run setgid and which accessed user files may have to be modified. BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD