Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell script queries: $home; broadcast ping Post 27381 by bionicfysh on Friday 30th of August 2002 09:27:17 AM
Old 08-30-2002
Lightbulb shell scripting...

Dear all,

Thanks so much for the feedback.
I have tried the following:

vi new

ls $HOME
ls ~
ls ~toto

they all respond accordingly

however:

user=toto
ls ~$user

it returns: can't ls to ~toto (???)

so the script can find ~sos10
and can view the variable user as a character variable
but cannot work with both...

I hear that this is not possible in bash...
and may be possible in csh, tcsh, or maybe sh

but I always thought that when you do sh script
it would run it in pure sh ...?

cheers again for any comments

N.B please try this exactly:
user=toto
echo~$user

bionic fysh

Last edited by bionicfysh; 08-30-2002 at 11:02 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sh Shell Script executing remote SQL queries

Hi there folks, I am trying to execute remote sql queries on an Oracle server. I would like to save the result of the executed sql queries on a text file, and send that text file as an attachment to an email address. Could anyone give me an idea on how the above could be achieved? Any help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Javed
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script for sql queries

Hi All, I have written 4 sql queries . Now I want to write one SHELL SCRIPTING program for all these queries... i.e 1.select * from head; 2. select * from detail; 3. delete from head; 4. delete from detail; Please let me know how to write a shell script... Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user71408
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple MySql queries in shell script?

Hi guys, i know how to run a single query using mysql embedded in a shell script as follows: `mysql -umyuser -pmypass --host myhost database<<SQL ${query}; quit SQL` However, how would i be able to run several queries within the same connection? The reason for this is i am creating... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muay_tb
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract queries using UNIX shell script?

Hi, I have an input file which have many lines,from which i need to extract only the complete sql statements and write this alone to an output file. please help us in this. Regards Meva (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: meva
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested SQL queries within Shell script

Hi, Would someone know if I can fire nested sql queries in a shell script? Basically what I am trying to do is as follows: my_sql=$(sqlplus -s /nolog<<EOF|sed -e "s/Connected. *//g" connect... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrutihardas
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to give broadcast and network address

Hello, I am running a post script in autoyast where I am trying to set the broadcast and network address. I have the ip address and netmask already (reading from a file).. I saw the post from fpmurphy but it is using ksh which isn't an option in autoyast. Thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bloodclot
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing set of sql queries from shell script

Hi All, I tried executing set of queries from shell script but not able to capture the input query in the log file. The code looks something similar to below sqlplus user/pwd@dbname << EOF > output.log $(<inputfile.txt) EOF The above code is capturing the output of queries into... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: loggedin.ksh
9 Replies

8. Linux

How to store count of multiple queries in variables in a shell script?

how to store the count of queries in variables inside a filein shell script my output : filename ------- variable1=result from 1st query variable2=result from 2nd query . . . . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanvel
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

run sql queries from UNIX shell script.

How can i run sql queries from UNIX shell script and retrieve data into text docs of UNIX? :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 24ajay
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue on executing db2 queries through shell script

hi i am trying to execute db2 queries through shell script. it's working fine but for few queries is not working ( those queries are taking time so the script is not waiting to get the complete the execution of that query ) could you please any one help me on this is there any wait... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhaskar v
1 Replies
rheostream(2rheolef)						    rheolef-6.1 					      rheostream(2rheolef)

NAME
irheostream, orheostream - large data streams ABSTRACT
This class provides a stream interface for large data management. File decompresion is assumed using gzip and a recursive seach in a directory list is provided for input. orheostream foo("NAME", "suffix"); is like ofstream foo("NAME.suffix"). However, if NAME does not end with `.suffix', then `.suffix' is added, and compression is done with gzip, adding an additional `.gz' suffix. Conversely, irheostream foo("NAME","suffix"); is like ifstream foo("NAME.suffix"). However, we look at a search path environment variable RHEOPATH in order to find NAME while suffix is assumed. Moreover, gzip compressed files, ending with the `.gz' suffix is assumed, and decompression is done. Finally, a set of useful functions are provided. DESCRIPTION
The following code: irheostream is("results", "data"); will recursively look for a `results[.data[.gz]]' file in the directory mentionned by the RHEOPATH environment variable. For instance, if you insert in our ".cshrc" something like: setenv RHEOPATH ".:/home/dupont:/usr/local/math/demo" the process will study the current directory `.', then, if neither `square.data.gz' nor `square.data' exits, it scan all subdirectory of the current directory. Then, if file is not founded, it start recusively in `/home/dupond' and then in `/usr/local/math/demo'. File decompression is performed by using the gzip command, and data are pipe-lined directly in memory. If the file start with `.' as `./square' or with a `/' as `/home/oscar/square', no search occurs and RHEOPATH environment variable is not used. Also, if the environment variable RHEOPATH is not set, the default value is the current directory `.'. For output stream: orheostream os("newresults", "data"); file compression is assumed, and "newresults.data.gz" will be created. File loading and storing are mentionned by a message, either: ! load "./results.data.gz" or: ! file "./newresults.data.gz" created. on the clog stream. By adding the following: clog << noverbose; you turn off these messages (see iorheo(4)). IMPLEMENTATION
class irheostream : public io::filtering_stream<io::input> { public: irheostream() : io::filtering_stream<io::input>() {} irheostream(const std::string& name, const std::string& suffix = std::string()); virtual ~irheostream(); void open (const std::string& name, const std::string& suffix = std::string()); void close(); protected: std::ifstream _ifs; }; class orheostream : public io::filtering_stream<io::output> { public: orheostream() : io::filtering_stream<io::output>() {} orheostream(const std::string& name, const std::string& suffix = std::string()); virtual ~orheostream(); void open (const std::string& name, const std::string& suffix = std::string()); void close(); protected: std::ofstream _ofs; }; std::string itos (std::string::size_type i); std::string ftos (const Float& x); // catch first occurence of string in file bool scatch (std::istream& in, const std::string& ch); // has_suffix("toto.suffix", "suffix") -> true bool has_suffix (const std::string& name, const std::string& suffix); // "toto.suffix" --> "toto" std::string delete_suffix (const std::string& name, const std::string& suffix); // "/usr/local/dir/toto.suffix" --> "toto.suffix" std::string get_basename (const std::string& name); // "/usr/local/dir/toto.suffix" --> "/usr/local/dir" std::string get_dirname (const std::string& name); // "toto" --> "/usr/local/math/data/toto.suffix" std::string get_full_name_from_rheo_path (const std::string& rootname, const std::string& suffix); // "." + "../geodir" --> ".:../geodir" void append_dir_to_rheo_path (const std::string& dir); // "../geodir" + "." --> "../geodir:." void prepend_dir_to_rheo_path (const std::string& dir); bool file_exists (const std::string& filename); // string to float bool is_float (const std::string&); Float to_float (const std::string&); // in TMPDIR environment variable or "/tmp" by default std::string get_tmpdir(); SEE ALSO
iorheo(4) rheolef-6.1 rheolef-6.1 rheostream(2rheolef)