Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: new line at last line
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting new line at last line Post 27264 by Optimus_P on Thursday 29th of August 2002 09:25:11 AM
Old 08-29-2002
Quote:
Originally posted by gsjf
dude, that failed to aid me in my answer. c'mon it's one line, someone must know.

Why do people find the need to do NO reading these days? I mean comeon is this what todays youth brings? a bunch of ppl who think they can just ask for an answer and they shall recieve?

Peters 1st reply to your post refering you to something that was ALREADY asked was dead on. if you bothered to read it you would see it.

you asked a question we provided you w/ an answer. You must translate it to how you want to use it. This is called learning.

and why would you use sed to add a blank line at the end of a file? just echo a blank line at the end. its much easier.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how do you parse 1 line at a time of file1 ie. line(n) each line into new file

File 1 <html>ta da....unique file name I want to give file=>343...</html> <html>da ta 234 </html> <html>pa da 542 </html> and so on... File 2 343 234 542 and so on, each line in File 1 one also corresponds with each line in File 2 I have tried several grep, sed, while .. read, do,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: web_developer
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fill the empty line by adding line before blank line

FIle A "A" 2 aa 34 3 ac 5 cd "B" 3 hu 67 4 fg 5 gy output shud be A"" 2 aa 34 "A" 3 ac 34 "A" 5 cd 34 "B" 3 hu 67 "B" 4 fg 67 "B" 5 gy 67 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Line too long error Replace string with new line line character

I get a file which has all its content in a single row. The file contains xml data containing 3000 records, but all in a single row, making it difficult for Unix to Process the file. I decided to insert a new line character at all occurrences of a particular string in this file (say replacing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ducati
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read the contents of two files line by line and compare the line by line?

Hi All, I'm trying to figure out which are the trusted-ips and which are not using a script file.. I have a file named 'ip-list.txt' which contains some ip addresses and another file named 'trusted-ip-list.txt' which also contains some ip addresses. I want to read a line from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjavalkar
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read file line by line and compare subset of 1st line with 2nd?

Hi all, I have a log file say Test.log that gets updated continuously and it has data in pipe separated format. A sample log file would look like: <date1>|<data1>|<url1>|<result1> <date2>|<data2>|<url2>|<result2> <date3>|<data3>|<url3>|<result3> <date4>|<data4>|<url4>|<result4> What I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Get an output of lines in pattern 1st line then 10th line then 11th line then 20th line and so on.

Input file: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sagar Singh
6 Replies
answer(1)						      General Commands Manual							 answer(1)

NAME
answer - phone message transcription system SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The interactive program helps you to transcribe telephone (and other) messages into electronic mail. The program uses your personal alias database and the system alias database, allowing you to use aliases to address the messages. Options supports the following options: Prompt for phone-slip-type message fields. Allow addresses that are not aliases. Operation begins with the prompt. Enter a one-word alias or a two-word user name ("Words" are separated by spaces.) The user name is converted to an alias in the form where f is the first character of the first word, lastword is the second word, and all letters are shifted to lower- case. For example, is converted to the alias Without the option, the specified or converted alias must exist in the alias databases. With the option, if the processed "alias" is not in the alias databases, it is used for the address as is. The fully expanded address is displayed. With the option, you are asked for typical message slip data: Enter the appropriate data. You can put just an or nothing after the pertinent dash prompts, or you can type longer comments. Whatever you enter becomes part of the message. Lines with no added text are omitted from the message. Finally, you are prompted for a message. Enter a message, if any, ending with a blank line. The message is sent and the prompt is repeated. To end the program, enter any one of or at the prompt. EXAMPLES
User input is in normal type. With No Options This example shows a valid alias, an invalid user name, and a valid user name. In the invalid case, the converted alias is displayed in square brackets. With the -u Option If you enter the previous error is treated differently. With the -p Option If you enter the phone-slip prompts are added. The three lines with no added text are deleted from the message. FILES
User alias database data table User alias database directory table User alias database hash table User alias source text System alias database data table System alias database directory table System alias database hash table System alias source text Outbound mail message edit buffer AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
elm(1), newalias(1). answer(1)