Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sun Solaris information needed Post 27233 by LivinFree on Wednesday 28th of August 2002 11:30:25 PM
Old 08-29-2002
There is a large FAQ thread on books:
https://www.unix.com/new-to-unix-which-books-should-i-read-/137-unix-books.html?s=

I would like to add that just about anything published by O'Reilly is great - the "Learning the Bash Shell" and "Learning the Korn Shell" books are both great, and although similar, I would stick with the Korn shell book (I recently switched from writing bash scripts to ksh only).
O'Brein and Pitt's "Korn Shell Programming by Example" is a very decent book as well.

Hope this helps!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Info Needed in Seting up An apache Web Server on A Sun Sparc with Solaris 8

I need help in the form of the complete procedures necessary in setting up an Apache web server on a Sun Sparc running Solaris 8 David Johnston P.S New to the Unix arena (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: David Johnston
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Identifying Sun Cluster information

Hi, I need some help, since I am new to cluster. I want to develop application which will discover the information about the cluster and how many nodes are connected to that respective box. Also would like to find out other information about cluster environments. Also please send me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: p_walunjkar
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SA288-sun solaris for systemm admin8,part II pdf needed

Hi All, can any1 plz upload me the SA288-sun solaris for system admin8,part II pdf. I need to do the certification.................plz help me at the earliest Thanks to all (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iliyas
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sun Solaris 10: How do I create a bootup disc? The Sun website confuses me

Hey there, I am starting a Computer Science Foundation year at the end of this month and am trying to get a little bit ahead of the game. I have always wanted to learn Unix and am currently struggling with creating a boot disc to run Solaris (I have chosen to study this) from as opposed to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jupiter
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script information needed

Transferring files from one unix server to another one was easy for me. I used a relative path which worked for me. thanks to porter. My question now is that:- 1)Say for instance i have one unix server with name(ABC). PATH: /home/web/props . I have bunch of different users folders in that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris1234
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Information needed

As part of a school project I'm supposed to make a webpage on operating systems (Other than windows) and the three I was told to do were Linux, Unix, and Mac. I got Linux and Mac done pretty easily because I use them a lot but Unix is showing some problems. Could anyone give me some information on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shinjin
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Sun Fire 280R Sun Solaris CRT/Monitor requirements

I am new to Sun. I brought Sun Fire 280R to practice UNIX. What are the requirements for the monitor/CRT? Will it burn out old non-Sun CRTs? Does it need LCD monitor? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bramptonmt
3 Replies

8. Solaris

How to get system parameters / information on Sun Solaris 5.10

Hello to everyone, i am new to Sun Solaris. i have Solaris 5.10 installed on the X86 platform. i am writing a script which gathers some system information. but i can not find some of the parameter from the system can any one please suggest to way to find these params. shell command will be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nikhil.sigpro
1 Replies

9. Solaris

VxVM + sun cluster information

hi , i installed sun cluster on 2 nodes , and i have one shared disk , problem is i couldnt able to deport and import shared disk group properly. thanks for ur help ravi sankar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankr3
2 Replies
LKSH(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   LKSH(1)

NAME
lksh -- Legacy Korn shell built on mksh SYNOPSIS
lksh [-+abCefhiklmnprUuvXx] [-+o opt] [-c string | -s | file [args ...]] DESCRIPTION
lksh is a command interpreter intended exclusively for running legacy shell scripts. It is built on mksh; refer to its manual page for details on the scripting language. It is recommended to port scripts to mksh instead of relying on legacy or idiotic POSIX-mandated behav- iour, since the MirBSD Korn Shell scripting language is much more consistent. LEGACY MODE
lksh has the following differences from mksh: o lksh is not suitable for use as /bin/sh. o There is no explicit support for interactive use, nor any command line editing or history code. Hence, lksh is not suitable as a user's login shell, either; use mksh instead. o The KSH_VERSION string identifies lksh as ``LEGACY KSH'' instead of ``MIRBSD KSH''. o lksh only offers the traditional ten file descriptors to scripts. o lksh uses POSIX arithmetics, which has quite a few implications: The data type for arithmetics is the host ISO C long data type. Signed integer wraparound is Undefined Behaviour. The sign of the result of a modulo operation with at least one negative operand is unspeci- fied. Shift operations on negative numbers are unspecified. Division of the largest negative number by -1 is Undefined Behaviour. The compiler is permitted to delete all data and crash the system if Undefined Behaviour occurs. o The rotation arithmetic operators are not available. o The shift arithmetic operators take all bits of the second operand into account; if they exceed permitted precision, the result is unspecified. o The GNU bash extension &> to redirect stdout and stderr in one go is not parsed. o The mksh command line option -T is not available. o Unless set -o posix is active, lksh always uses traditional mode for constructs like: $ set -- $(getopt ab:c "$@") $ echo $? POSIX mandates this to show 0, but traditional mode passes through the errorlevel from the getopt(1) command. o lksh, unlike AT&T UNIX ksh, does not keep file descriptors > 2 private. SEE ALSO
mksh(1) https://www.mirbsd.org/mksh.htm https://www.mirbsd.org/ksh-chan.htm CAVEATS
lksh tries to make a cross between a legacy bourne/posix compatibl-ish shell and a legacy pdksh-alike but ``legacy'' is not exactly speci- fied. The set built-in command does not have all options one would expect from a full-blown mksh or pdksh. Talk to the MirOS development team using the mailing list at <miros-mksh@mirbsd.org> or the #!/bin/mksh (or #ksh) IRC channel at irc.freenode.net (Port 6697 SSL, 6667 unencrypted) if you need any further quirks or assistance, and consider migrating your legacy scripts to work with mksh instead of requiring lksh. MirBSD May 2, 2013 MirBSD