Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to install windows and linux Post 27101 by Bodhi on Tuesday 27th of August 2002 07:53:00 PM
Old 08-27-2002
Dear Rude,

The partition software you are looking for is Acronis OS Selector 5.0. I have not used the software myself, (I use Partition Magic 7.0) but it looks like its pretty "Newbie"proof. The url is http://www.acronis.com/products/oss50/. Heres a short faq...

Acronis' exclusive file systems support includes FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, Linux Ext2, Ext3, ReiserFS, and Linux Swap. You do not have to be an expert - our lightening-fast and reliable software makes all partition and administration operations as easy as one-two-three.

Operating systems supported
DOS
Windows 3.1 + DOS
Windows 95
Windows 95 OSR 2
Windows 98
Windows ME
Windows NT 3.1
Windows NT 3.5
Windows NT 3.51
Windows NT 4.0
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Linux (any distribution)
FreeBSD
Solaris
SCO UNIX
UNIXWARE
OS/2
BeOS
QNX
B-TRON
Special support for unknown systems

System requirements
i386 or better CPU
4 MB RAM for boot management
32 MB RAM for hard disk partition management
more than 32 MB RAM for large partition management

Good luck and let me know if that is what your looking for!!!

Last edited by Bodhi; 08-27-2002 at 08:58 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can i install UNIX beside Windows XP???

Hi guys i'm new here .. and actually i wanna anyone answer my question it's simple the question is " can i setup or install UNIX beside windows XP?" i need answer plz thanks :) (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: M_Hafez
11 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Need to install red hat linux on existing windows vista OS as dual boot

HI ALL, I need to install linux on already existing windows vista OS. I tried to install linux,am getting error while creating patitions, i)selected manula patition with grude option.. after that when i m selecting free space to create mount points, its giving error "could not allocate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack00423
2 Replies

3. Linux

What's better for running Windows software in Linux, Wine or Windows VMware?

What are the differences, advantages, and disadvantages? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Advice Pro
1 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Install Windows 2003 R2 on existing Windows 2008

Hi, I am trying to install WIndows 2003 R2 Server on existing Windows 2008 server. When I run the 2003 cd it says no disk found. What can be the problem. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gunnervarma
2 Replies

5. Solaris

install solaris 8 on windows xp OS

Hi everyone, I want to install solaris 8 on emachines computer , but it already have windows xp opeting system. can you help me how to install solaris 8 on windows xp os ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: latkanto
4 Replies

6. Linux

Install Linux on remote server from Windows PC

I am very new with servers and have never used Linux. The server I'm looking at is not currently connected to anything, and I wish to install Linux on this server. It doesn't have a monitor (no video card) or keyboard. It does have a DVD. Can I communicate with that server using a Windows PC to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvalenti
8 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How to Install Windows Xp on Network?

If you don't have DVD-Rom then how would you install windows Xp on Network? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karman0931
2 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

install windows on mac

Hello all, i want to install windows on mac and when i search i found that there is a program called Parallels Desktop to install windows on mac but i want it on the laptop not on the program does it work? or there is another anyway to install it on mac..?? Thanks in advanced (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reham$
8 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Qt windows 10 install problem?

qt windows 10 install problem? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaja
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Seen Windows pc, having all the features of Linux, could exe, read and edit save like windows

Hi, totally new to linux base using windows when started learning and using computers. but i remember that one pc was there , look alike windows desktop, but could not do the task as windows just click and open and view edit etc. But, you could do a little differently even saving in and opening... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jraju
8 Replies
KERNEL-INSTALL(8)						  kernel-install						 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)

NAME
kernel-install - Add and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot SYNOPSIS
kernel-install COMMAND KERNEL-VERSION [KERNEL-IMAGE] DESCRIPTION
kernel-install is used to install and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot. kernel-install will execute the files located in the directory /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/ and the local administration directory /etc/kernel/install.d/. All files are collectively sorted and executed in lexical order, regardless of the directory in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc/kernel/install.d/ take precedence over files with the same name in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/. This can be used to override a system-supplied executables with a local file if needed; a symbolic link in /etc/kernel/install.d/ with the same name as an executable in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/, pointing to /dev/null, disables the executable entirely. Executables must have the extension ".install"; other extensions are ignored. An executable should return 0 on success. It may also return 77 to cause the whole operation to terminate (executables later in lexical order will be skipped). COMMANDS
The following commands are understood: add KERNEL-VERSION KERNEL-IMAGE kernel-install creates the directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ and calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments add KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ KERNEL-IMAGE The kernel-install plugin 50-depmod.install runs depmod for the KERNEL-VERSION. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install copies KERNEL-IMAGE to /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/linux. It also creates a boot loader entry according to the boot loader specification in /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. The title of the entry is the PRETTY_NAME parameter specified in /etc/os-release or /usr/lib/os-release (if the former is missing), or "Linux KERNEL-VERSION", if unset. If the file initrd is found next to the linux file, the initrd will be added to the configuration. remove KERNEL-VERSION Calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments remove KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ kernel-install removes the entire directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ afterwards. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install removes the file /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. EXIT STATUS
If every executable returns 0 or 77, 0 is returned, and a non-zero failure code otherwise. FILES
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install Drop-in files which are executed by kernel-install. /etc/kernel/cmdline /proc/cmdline The content of the file /etc/kernel/cmdline specifies the kernel command line to use. If that file does not exist, /proc/cmdline is used. /etc/machine-id The content of the file specifies the machine identification MACHINE-ID. /etc/os-release /usr/lib/os-release The content of the file specifies the operating system title PRETTY_NAME. SEE ALSO
machine-id(5), os-release(5), Boot loader specification[1] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec systemd 237 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)